User Tag List

123 Last

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Default Ever wish you had never learned about MBTI?

When I first discovered MBTI and the INTP description, I was ennamored. It was like a personal revelation. So many confusing things became clear. I thought as many of you did - I've been severely cheated to have missed out on a very critical "Hitchhiker's Guide to Life" handbook for such a critical portion of my life.

One year later after this "revelation" I am starting to rethink this as such a wonderful blessing of knowledge. I go around obsessively trying to fit people into these 4 dichotmous, arbitrary measures. I have developed an aversion to what I perceive as "S" types, the description of which is flimsy at best. I even try to, oftentimes with great failure, guide my actions according to what I GUESS is another person's type.

But what is most aggravating to me about this is that I have partially internalized my type while simultaneously externalizing other types, and so have many others everywhere. This is problematic on so many levels. I think the greatest Sin of Science I see on these boards are questions like "how do I get an ENFJ to like me" etc, etc, without providing ANY other information about the near-infinite complexity of variables that is a human being - and those threads actually get a lot of thought-out replies!! If you do this you are a seduced fool like I am and need to reevaluate precisely what the MBTI test is: a SAMPLE of human behavior. You are NOT your type; you TEST as your type.

But enough ranting... if you could do it, would you erase all knowledge of MBTI and "type" from your mind? Why or why not?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    if you could do it, would you erase all knowledge of MBTI and "type" from your mind? Why or why not?
    Yes, I'd erase it. I hate that I can't help but think in this framework. I sense a disconnect with some of my close friends when I keep bringing it up; it's either a) keep my mouth shut and not discuss my buzzing thoughts (which is difficult and frustrating to not be able to speak what's truly on your mind or b) talk and sense their distrust and minor disillusionment of me as a friend because of my putting people in boxes.

I'd get rid of it because I had a good read of people before this (due to me constantly wondering about how things worked... which is annoying because my NTness only gets reinforced. It was good enough. I hate that many times over I keep getting it reinforced.

Although, as a vice, it does have its pluses.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

heart on fire

I would not want to give up any self understanding it has provided me with, so no.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

No way! I used to think I was by myself on an island, and everybody else was from some bizarro universe or something, and now I actually find myself being able to communicate much more effectively with people and understand them better because I can recognize their patterns and speak to them in something close to a language they understand. I feel like it's made me a more well-rounded person, and a much less frustrated one because I can actually understand some of the motivations of the other types, even if I don't share them. I've learned the value of having a good balance of types in a work environment or even a group of friends, it's a much richer experience when all kinds of different foods get dipped in the fondue pot.

I feel a lot less alone, and a lot more confident in myself, and special in my own uniqueness and kumbayah and blah blah blah and all that stuff (sorry I can only keep up the NF-like hippie talk for so long)
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I would not want to give up any self understanding it has provided me with, so no.
    Well that's just the problem - how do you know it's true understanding and not some sort of seducing self-deception that actually obscures clarity as opposed to giving it?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

No. It's helped me understand myself better so that I have stopped feeling like a freak, but more importantly it's helped me understand how to better fit in with "normal" society and showcase my personal skills in ways they can be appreciated by others. It's also helped me understand my parents better, which has greatly improved my relationship with them even though I live pretty far away and don't get to be around them much anymore.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    Well that's just the problem - how do you know it's true understanding and not some sort of seducing self-deception that actually obscures clarity as opposed to giving it?
    Actually it was learning about the tendancy for self delusion that was most helpful and to find out how I think best and to clear up a lot of confusion between how I thought I was "supposed" to be over how I am more naturally and to allow myself to drop unproductive attempts to be something I am not able to be. For a very long time, the desire to try and radically change myself and beliving I could kept me in a state of being out of touch with myself and spinning in place.

I can see more clearly where my weaknesses and strengths are.

I always had the adversion to S, just didn't know how to put it into words. Me and my husband would talk about it all the time, we would call it "not seeing the big picture" and we thought it was a willful decision to not see it. Now I know better. My father also would talk about this with me and my mother spent years beating it into my head that my N traits were evil...she didn't use those words because she didn't know what N was, but you could have read the Jung definition of it and add curse words and you got her complaints about me. So it has been helpful to have a word for it and to understand more and more about what it really is.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm sick of thinking about it too. In stories that I write now I find have far too many NT characters. At the moment, the main characters of one story goes:

INTP - co protagonist
    INTP - co protagonist
    INTJ - main antagonist
    ENTP - comic relief on antagonist side
    ENTP - comic relief on protagonist side
    ENTJ - harsh task master on protagonist side

I didn't have any need to know how unimaginative I was.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    INTP

I have experienced some of the tendencies described in the OP, and I have felt too "boxed in" by being identified as an INTP, but when I can take a step back, I can take myself out of the confining mindset. I think people can be so puzzling for INTPs that it's nice to have a shortcut to knowing them better. Sometimes that makes me stereotype people, but more often, it helps me understand where they're coming from.

MBTI has helped me clarify things that are important to me, and it's helped me not to feel so strange and guilty for being the way I am. Overall, the good far outweighs the bad.

I tend not to post on INTPc very often because it can serve to reinforce both my fears and a tendency to go way overboard in embracing the less-acceptable parts of my personality. Not a dig on INTPc--I've just noticed that about myself. If I post only occasionally there, I can enjoy it and maintain more of a balance.

Overall, I'd say MBTI has been a great help to me.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

No
    Its just another thing i can obsess over
    damn Ni-Ti loop
    I N V I C T U S