User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ISFP

I can definitely see where the OP is coming from here. On the one hand, "discovering" my type and MBTI gave me the boost of courage I needed to get out of a bad situation, so I wouldn't want to give that up.

It does bother me how I end up monitoring my actions and thoughts and relate them to MBTI. If it is an activity or thought that I think my type should enjoy, I will pursue it more. I guess the logic behind this is that if I act more fully like my type, then I will be happier and more comfortable with a life that suits me. The end result, though, is that I'm not completely enjoying the experience of my environment and consciousness in the moment. I'm constantly stepping back and trying to fit everything into MBTI, and limiting myself to my type.

Does anybody else do this?

MBTI
    INFP

Nope... MBTI has changed my view of people in a very positive way... it's helped me be more accepting in a way and more tolerant of other ppl with different opinions. There was a short period when I kept thinking of everything in terms of MBTI and almost judging people like that, but you can get out of that kind of framework and realise it's just another factor and it can't be used to judge people...

MBTI
    INtP

I wouldn't lose the knowledge if I could. That's not to say that I'm convinced that the theory has much predictive value by itself, but most of what I've gotten from it's not really dependent upon the specifics of the theory, anyway:

1. A better understanding that not everyone does, or *should* come from the same perspective mentally. This was, as you say, quite a revelation when I first discovered MBTI. I grew up as the outlier in a family of folks who shared viewpoints that I didn't - and the realization that I wasn't alone in my viewpoints was quite liberating.

2. It's given me somewhat, even if only vaguely, a better idea of why some things that aren't important to me are important to people that I care about. It helps me focus more on understanding.

3. At least for a large number of people, the results seem generally consistent. This isn't to say that I've done a good scientific analysis or anything, but I find it interesting and worthwhile to see what traits people share, and which ones they don't.

4. Last, but certainly not least, I've met some nice folks .

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Yeah, I definitely feel that way sometimes. But if I wasn't trying to classify people according to the 4 functions, I'd probably have adopted some other method. On the plus side, I did get some major validation after reading the INTP description. I felt empowered and less alone, like "you mean I'm not the only one who spends all day trying to analyze everything and put into some coherent framework?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    ... On the plus side, I did get some major validation after reading the INTP description. I felt empowered and less alone, like "you mean I'm not the only one who spends all day trying to analyze everything and put into some coherent framework?
    Ditto. I never regret finding out about MBTI... but maybe that's because I keep the theory in perspective. It's not the end-all be-all, and if you just accept the basics of it, at least it validates that you're not a freak even if you're different than a lot of people you've met.

Honestly, it was one of the first real big boosts of self-confidence I ever got to realize I was "okay" even if different than many I knew.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nadir View Post
    I don't really mind MBTI in the same way I don't mind seeing those astrology horoscopes... I found it fascinating when I first came across it, but in retrospect that was probably because I was so certain that I was in some way deficient or sick. Now that I'm out of that phase I've found that MBTI just doesn't do much for me, and is a dubious vantage point from which to consider things.
    Exactly right for me. But before now, I experienced that phase of happiness over having found myself, then came the phase of self-induced mental anguish from trying to stop living life through MBTI. I'm now at a point in my life where I don't give myself deep mental anguish anymore and I can handle things a lot better now. But I might randomly get bored of MBTI sometime later.
    Still using a needle to break apart a grain of sand.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Ditto. I never regret finding out about MBTI... but maybe that's because I keep the theory in perspective. It's not the end-all be-all, and if you just accept the basics of it, at least it validates that you're not a freak even if you're different than a lot of people you've met.

Honestly, it was one of the first real big boosts of self-confidence I ever got to realize I was "okay" even if different than many I knew.
    I hear that. The problem is when you start thinking that God or your genetics or your environment looked at you and deemed you an INTP (or INFP in your case ). It leads people to confuse their thoughts with their identity at which point they become really attached to their thinking.

[/buddhist nonsense]

heart on fire

= But if I wasn't trying to classify people according to the 4 functions, I'd probably have adopted some other method. ..
    Yes, this is well put. I agree.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I hear that. The problem is when you start thinking that God or your genetics or your environment looked at you and deemed you an INTP (or INFP in your case ). It leads people to confuse their thoughts with their identity at which point they become really attached to their thinking.
    oh you ****ing (fill in the blank) ********. (Is that the right amount of asterisKs?) you crazy ENTP. or whatever PP thinks you are.

i don't even care what I am at the moment. i'm just me.

but i'm glad to know there is nothign wrong with me. MBTI is good for that much at least.

you're so right though. type is NOT prescriptive, and I hate the way people get locked into thinking, "Hey, I'm <this type>," and they change their beahvior to fit. Screw that sort of thinking, that's just silly. it's just supposed to give us a frame to understand ourselves and others a li'l better.

[/buddhist nonsense]
    oh don't apologize. buddhist stuff makes a lotta sense most of the time. 'specially now.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    Some things are worthy of more skepticism than others. For example, I see no point in questioning that I live in Florida, I have what appears to be a human body and I am using it to type this, and so on. Rampant philosophical skepticism just leads into an infinite regress of questions, so I accept those basic things as truths.

MBTI, on the other hand, is very worthy of my skepticism on a number of levels. The potential for delusionment/alienation/pigeon-holing people already mentioned, plus the fact that it has little acceptance in the scientific community, demonstrates no predictive validity and yet SEEMS to be insightful makes me question what the hell it really is doing.

I would be ready to drop it on a moment's notice if it weren't for one thing - why is there so much consistency between self-evaluation of type and how others type you? This really nags at me. Jung was either a brilliant scientist or a skilled magician.
    Being in Florida and knowing you have a body are physical things.
    My specific point is that I believe pretty much (if not)all psychological self-awareness is highly susceptible to skepticism. The MBTI doesn't stand out from any other form of mental self investigation in terms of it's plausibility.
    Go to sleep, iguana.