User Tag List

First 1234 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    Well that's just the problem - how do you know it's true understanding and not some sort of seducing self-deception that actually obscures clarity as opposed to giving it?
    Well, I hate to throw this old cliche out, but... How would you determine that any self-understanding is really the truth?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Personally, I don't feel plagued or boxed in, because it was my personal conclusion and voluntary acceptance. If I determined something to be terribly wrong with the system, than I could change it or discard it as I plase.
    I think it's rather odd that a number of you feel that your belief in it is now out of your hands.

I general, I don't forget the fact that people get test results because of who they are, rather than being who they are because of their test results.

There would be no point in forgeting everything I've learned about the MBTI.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Sure all the time, but especially when I call random people SJ,SP, NF, NT or whatever else to do with MBTI. It means I have to keep explaining what MBTI is, otherwise they think I am mental.

To be hounest I am neutral; So yeah, it gives a understanding of oneself and other. But, I don't like the way people use it to pigeon-hole themself / others, and it also has a tendency to make people more close-minded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Well, I hate to throw this old cliche out, but... How would you determine that any self-understanding is really the truth?
    Some things are worthy of more skepticism than others. For example, I see no point in questioning that I live in Florida, I have what appears to be a human body and I am using it to type this, and so on. Rampant philosophical skepticism just leads into an infinite regress of questions, so I accept those basic things as truths.

MBTI, on the other hand, is very worthy of my skepticism on a number of levels. The potential for delusionment/alienation/pigeon-holing people already mentioned, plus the fact that it has little acceptance in the scientific community, demonstrates no predictive validity and yet SEEMS to be insightful makes me question what the hell it really is doing.

I would be ready to drop it on a moment's notice if it weren't for one thing - why is there so much consistency between self-evaluation of type and how others type you? This really nags at me. Jung was either a brilliant scientist or a skilled magician.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

I'd not throw it away. It has assited me many a time and guided me from the path of "I hate this guy, he's stoopid" to understanding that it's probably not because he's stupid but more that he just doesn't think like I do. With this attempt at language conversion (and I do believe it is an attempt, a damn fine one, but likely not conclusive) I can at least try to find out how to bridge the gap that type difference can leave me with.

Of course some "hims" are stoopid... there's no doubt there. Still, thinking about how it maybe me misinterpreting holds me off from that decision for a while and stops me making rash judgements.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INXP

On film:

'Perhaps my desire to understand what profoundly moves me has prevented me from being profoundly moved.'
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

No, it gives me much to think about.

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

I don't really mind MBTI in the same way I don't mind seeing those astrology horoscopes... I found it fascinating when I first came across it, but in retrospect that was probably because I was so certain that I was in some way deficient or sick. Now that I'm out of that phase I've found that MBTI just doesn't do much for me, and is a dubious vantage point from which to consider things.
    Not really.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Sometimes I do. I get sick of thinking about it sometimes. As a matter of fact, I'm in the process of purging it from my everyday life so that when I meet someone I enjoy being around or really dislike, they're nothing more than people I like/dislike for whatever reason and not some type.

I'm getting to the point where when I see "N's" and "S's" and "J's" and "P's" or "E" or "I" (etc...) as way of summarising every person with that letter in their type (whether that effect is intended or not), I want to throw my computer out the window and scream "People aren't letters!" But because I love my computer like I would a puppy, I don't do that.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    FiSi

No.

MBTI has been very helpful in understanding myself and dealing with others. For example, my relationship with my impulsive barrel-of-gunpowder ESFJ mother has improved greatly as I understand why she acts and thinks the way she does. I also have found reasons to my nerve-tearing oversensitivity to everything bad and wicked and evil and repulsive and revolting and disgusting.

But sometimes I almost utter something like "That person is clearly a strong J" but fortunately manage to keep my mouth shut. I could receive some weird glances.

But, yes, occasionally I put the whole MBTI thing out of my mind. I try not to let the theory lead my interaction with other people, but rather reserve it as a helpful tool.