• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The 8 Functions

nightwatcher

MBTI Type
INXJ
Extraverted Intuition: Virtual Reality
Introverted Intuition: The Twilight Zone
Extraverted Thinking: A binary based (left brain) computer
Introverted Thinking: A quantum (right brain) computer
Extraverted Sensing: A brothel
Introverted Sensing: A Kafkaesque realm of nothing but file cabinets
Extraverted Feeling: A church picnic
Introverted Feeling: Inner child therapy

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
So I get the Twilight Zone, a binary computer, inner child therapy, and a brothel, in that order?

That sounds pretty sweet, actually. You want us to make our own, or for this to be discussion?

MetalWounds

More human than human
MBTI Type
TP
Enneagram
9w8
Ne: A tie dyed shirt.

Ni: A dark hallway with millions of doors.

Te: A sledgehammer.

Ti: A surgeon's scalpel.

Se: A bee sting.

Si: A broken record.

Fe: A human pyramid.

Fi: A cheeseburger.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Si: An old movie projector running perpetually
Se: A kid in a candy store with only fifteen minutes to eat his fill
Ti: An infinite matching game without enough cards
Te: Counting the ridges on the edge of a dime
Fi: Groping around in the dark for something warm
Fe: Looking in the mirror and seeing someone else
Ni: A blindfolded knifethrower at the circus with no experience
Ne: A superball bouncing in a rubber room

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Here are my ideas:

Ni: Metaphors

Ne: Connections

Fe: Etiquette

Fi: Will

Ti: Reason

Te: Application

Se: Present

Si: Reference

What do you think?

nightwatcher

MBTI Type
INXJ
So I get the Twilight Zone, a binary computer, inner child therapy, and a brothel, in that order?

That sounds pretty sweet, actually. You want us to make our own, or for this to be discussion?

I live in the Twilight Zone with my binary computer, virtual reality system, file cabinets and inner child. Pretty awesome, huh? Only I miss out on the brothel. Man, I’m never gonna get laid. But at least I don’t have to go to the church picnic...

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Damn.
Superb Job.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When I first tried to tackle understanding all the functions, I noticed that "objective" and "subjective" were sometimes used to describe both the functions themselves, and where they were used. I was trying specifically to understand how they shaped directing and informing communications in the eight three letter groups (STJ, SFP, etc) that Keirsey had identified. So I paralleled things up along the line of subjective and objective. (I had thought that "directing" communications, such as S and T together might have had to do with "objectivity". Turned out it might work to some extent for judging functions, but it seems for perception it is the opposite).

Thinking is generally condsidered "objective", based on logic and facts, while Feeling is considered subjective "values".

"extraverted attitudes" (outside use) is also considered "objective", while introverted attitudes are considered subjective, because they are taking place within the person. (For perception, the attitude is the "source" it is taken from, and for judgment, it is the "realm" it is used in).

Sensing (concrete perception) is also considered more "objective", while iNtuiting (abstract) is considered subjective, because it involves the person drawing from patterns and stuff.

I then tried to shorthand the processes with "o" for "objective" and "u" for "subjective".

Se objective data from objective source O/O
Si objective data from subjective source O/U
Ne subjective data from objective source U/O
Ni subjective data from subjective source U/U
Te objective judgment in objective realm o/o
Ti objective judgment in subjective realm o/u
Fe subjective judgment in objective realm u/o
Fi subjective judgment in subjective realm u/u

So these can be put together for an alternate code for the 16 types. The case is used to distinguish perception and judgment, and which order they are placed in would determine the dom/aux function and attitude.
(One person said, in essence; "what, more letter codes?" and I basically dropped the idea).

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ni - psychic
Ne - magic
Ti - reason
Te - facts
Si - history
Se - vision
Fi - values
Fe - help

Impact Calculus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
[MENTION=15371]RaptorWizard[/MENTION]

It's an interesting idea simplifying the functions into one idea. Although, it just seems to me that Te and possibly other functions could also be seen as a function of "reason" on the surface.

[MENTION=3521]Eric B[/MENTION]

This is cool, but I think it would be more accurate to replace "in objective/subjective realm" with "of subjective/objective realm". Because, as you already know, it would be accurate to say that all of the functions, themselves, are in the deep and subjective realm.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION Eric B[/MENTION]

This is cool, but I think it would be more accurate to replace "in objective/subjective realm" with "of subjective/objective realm". Because, as you already know, it would be accurate to say that all of the functions, themselves, are in the deep and subjective realm.

That's old, and I did change it later on (with judgment vs perception as a third variable):

Objective processing of Objective data from Objective source (OOO): Se
Objective processing of Objective data from Subjective source (OOS): Si
Objective processing of Subjective data from Objective source (OSO): Ne
Objective processing of Subjective data from Subjective source (OSS): Ni
Subjective processing of Objective data from Objective source (SOO): Te
Subjective processing of Objective data from Subjective source (SOS): Ti
Subjective processing of Subjective data from Objective source (SSO): Fe
Subjective processing of Subjective data from Subjective source (SSS): Fi

Last edited:

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type