User Tag List

12 Last

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default Silly J supremacy

N+1 posts on this forum show the attitude of supremacy on J's part. The one's I've most lolled at are them telling, "she's able to pay her rent, she must be J" and such. haHAHAHhhahah

Then there's the much documented view P's have of J's, one telling they're rigid-minded and unable to see outside their chosen perspective, goal or whatever niche of thinking they've attracted to

It's normally unreasonable to blame J for being narrow-minded. But then there's the case of self-evaluation of performance by arbitrary, self-chosen standards.

I've guessed idea in the J supremacy is in ignoring the evidence to the contrary. Narrow down your view, choose your own games and see how you're such a winner. Want to be the best in hola hooping? Heck, just J-ishly choose to do so. So you've got your goal, and after a few months of training, you're such a great talent. Bravo. No matter the other talents you've neglected to develop - see, you're not thinking about them. Such issues don't fit in your well-defined goals.

See the problem?

For Fahrenheit's sake, come on - don't make me spell it out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    N+1 posts on this forum show the attitude of supremacy on J's part. The one's I've most lolled at are them telling, "she's able to pay her rent, she must be J" and such. haHAHAHhhahah

Then there's the much documented view P's have of J's, one telling they're rigid-minded and unable to see outside their chosen perspective, goal or whatever niche of thinking they've attracted to

I've guessed idea in the J supremacy is in ignoring the evidence to the contrary. Narrow down your view, choose your own games and see how you're such a winner. Want to be the best in hola hooping? Heck, just J-ishly choose to do so. So you've got your goal, and after a few months of training, you're such a great talent. Bravo. No matter the other talents you've neglected to develop - see, you're not thinking about them. Such issues don't fit in your well-defined goals.

See the problem?
    No?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    No?
    The problem is not in the accomplishment, but in the choice. There are other choices to be made, leading to other accomplishments just as good as the one's they've chosen. These J supremacist are comparing their accomplishments in their self-selected, devoted field with others who aren't that devoted. Unable to see how anything else outside their chosen endeavors could be of any significance, they proclaim themselves as the winners.

J of course proclaim their standard of devotion is the most appropriate.

Simply, many people could not just care about what the J does well. That's less of a chance with a variety of fields where you engage in.

That's all different if you really want to be meaningfully accomplished in one area. Meaningful accomplishment - something that really matters - and feel-good accomplishment are in entirely different ballparks. I don't have a say which of the two, J or P, does them the best.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Are you improving on the documentation, then?
    Not really.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nadir View Post
    Are you improving on the documentation, then?
    Help me do it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'd admit to this.

But it's only because I don't want to burdened with thinking about all those other things, and having to jump for every opportunity that presents itself. I wouldn't be able to just work sufficiently towards one goal, and relax the rest of the time if I did that... I'd have to be "on" all the time, willing to push myself for stuff I didn't reserve any energy for.

Honestly, the main difference between J's and P's is this, IMO... P's make as many commitments as appeal to them, and let them slide till the last minute, even failing to do well or even complete some of them, making them look like slackers. But in reality, despite letting a lot of things slide, they got the same amount of things done, just not at the same level of quality, or as focused in the same direction.

J's (perhaps especially IJ's) avoid making extraneous commitments in the first place, often carefully choosing and minimizing their obligations so that they can put the most energy into the tasks they must have to do well at, and spend the rest of their time doing nothing in particular without risk of not meeting a goal. J's are willing to endure boredom and having too much time on their hands rather than take on more, risk having to rush through and not be sure of getting anything done. We may not procrastinate, but that doesn't mean we put all our time to good use, either.

So if I'm honest about it, I very much hesitate about taking on an obligation to something in the first place if I don't have to in order to reach a particular goal, but follow through with it if I do. P's don't hesitate about showing interest and taking the opportunity, but don't necessarily follow through once they do.

P's do have it worse, though. They feel kind of wasteful if they're not taking things on at full capacity (even if no one else cares about this), but then they also feel guilty if they fail to get something done (although less than a J). J's only feel guilty if they fail to get something they were expected to get done on or ahead of time, don't really want or need to fill themselves to capacity.

This could just be an IJ and IP thing, though. Don't know about EJ's or EP's too much...

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    J's (perhaps especially IJ's) avoid making extraneous commitments in the first place, often carefully choosing and minimizing their obligations so that they can put the most energy into the tasks they must have to do well at, and spend the rest of their time doing nothing in particular without risk of not meeting a goal. J's are willing to endure boredom and having too much time on their hands rather than take on more, risk having to rush through and not be sure of getting anything done. We may not procrastinate, but that doesn't mean we put all our time to good use, either.
    Which explains how you get your IJ slackers, you know, like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post

It's normally unreasonable to blame J for being narrow-minded. But then there's the case of self-evaluation of performance by arbitrary, self-chosen standards.

See the problem?
    What makes your point of view more valid than mine?

So what if I'd rather be excellent at hula-hooping and terrible at soccer? Does it really matter? I don't play soccer. I don't even like soccer. Why would I hone my skill on something I don't care about, on something that's absolutely useless to me, on something that's not even enjoyable? Just to say that I could play soccer decently, as bragging rights? Am I really going to come into a situation in which learning to play soccer well will be an essential skill? Such a convoluted situation would not happen on my watch -- as a J, I choose my battles. There is no reason for me to learn to play soccer well, so I don't.

My perspective is that time is precious, so I only spend it on things I like to do or things I need to do. Doing everything for the sake of being able to do everything doesn't appeal to me -- if it appeals to you, then by all means, live your life that way. Just be prepared to be a jack of all trades, yet a master of none; as the ENTP is often known.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

i wish being a J meant getting shit done/not procrastinating. that'd be sweet.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    i wish being a J meant getting shit done/not procrastinating. that'd be sweet.
    P = Monkey See

J = Monkey Do

?
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INXJ

Js pay there parking tickets on time, on the rare occasions when they actually get a parking ticket, which makes them the good guys. I’d rather be a P, though, and not have to worry about anything.
    "Space was big, and the boys from Earth were awed despite themselves by the things they found there: but worse, their science was in a mess. Every race they met on their way through the Core had a star drive based on a different theory. All those theories worked, even when they ruled out one another’s basic assumptions. You could travel between the stars, it began to seem, by assuming anything.”

—M. John Harrison, “Light”