User Tag List

123 Last

Qatie:)

Default The Difference Between Se and Si

as an ENFP my weakest function would be the sensing function
    i am quite confused on the difference between Se and Si
    there seems to be next to nothing written about it
    if someone more knoledgeable than me could explain it, i would be very greatfull

MBTI
    INTP

I'm not an expert, but here's what I've learned and my opinions on it.

Si - like internal cataloging. Something happens, you record it in detail, then stored it away internally. You can recall it for problem solving (how did we solve it last time?) or it may lead you to generate bias or things you favor (the last time I had a pie backed with brand X's soft crust I remember [sensory detail]... = this is how pies are baked... = this is how a pie should be baked and/or this may be a trait that always applied to pies). I guess I can see it like "information comes at you > analyze > interpret > distill > now you remember the original object/information/type of thing with this "profile" applied to it". Am I making sense?

Se - more literal, action based, objective. Maybe taking things in at high detail and face value, looking for sensory experiences like roller coasters, scary movies, or even doing drugs/mind altering. I think the difference is that Si would "idealize" something, like (ridiculous but hard to explain otherwise) when a person looks at a red car with Si they think "Cars in my mind are always purple, therefore that moving vehicle isn't a car.", paying attention to what they "should" be sensing or have sensed and seemed correct/numerous/preferrable. Se would be like "That's a car and I can tell because it has wheels, it's moving, it looks like other cars, it's made by Ford, etc".

Qatie:)

so are you saying that Se is more like athletisism and Si is like being sentamental?
    Or are you saying Se is objective and Si relates things?

MBTI
    INTP

I think Se is more objective but they are both more concerned with noticing concrete traits, like the 5 senses to draw information. Si is like using your built up experiences of sensing things in the past and then comparing when you have new sensory experiences, whereas Se doesn't really care about that, it just focuses on what it's being given in the moment. I guess you could say that Si is kinda sentimental in that way, maybe more reflective. Se would be more spontaneous and face value/the present. I'm not heavy Se or Si though, so take it with a grain of salt! Here's a youtube video.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

The the two are completely different. I will say more later.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Qatie:) View Post
    if someone more knoledgeable than me could explain it, i would be very greatfull
    Like Highlander says, the two are completely different. Se is extroverted and thus characterised by the urge towards action. Se is the urge to explore and experiment with the world around you, based upon what is actually there (as opposed to what things represent, which is more Ne). In some ways, Se is a playful function.

Si is introverted, thus contemplative and restraining. It is the urge to plan ahead and review what is already known, all with an eye to assure ones goals can be completed with the minimum of risk.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Qatie:) View Post
    first of all good news: your baby-Si is alive and well, it just more often then not takes a different form, and you and I know it as Ne.`

we (Si-Ne users) are mental collectors. we collect everything - details, memories, associations, experiences, and patterns. we don't notice that much because we ARE the collection, it is our framework for perceiving anything.

so when we collect something new, our context is ourselves, we interpret it through our collection. when it is a new pattern, our mind sends it to our collection of patterns, and its going to breed (because patterns are sluts) and create all sort of new patterns. that is our Ne. just the same, when we gain a new experience, we reflect upon it based on our past experience.

that experienced based level of interpretation? that is our Si, and its not very loud right now within our minds, because our minds - as Ps - are oriented towards listening to the maximum amount of stimulation, which we get from Ne plenty.

Si provides very little of that, the reason others pay more attention to it is because it provides them with something that they need - a mental order, cohesive clear-cut answers, something is what you have learned about it from your experience. but your mind will seek it from time to time, and as it does, that little Si voice is going to grow and get louder, and you'll have an easier time hearing what it says.

hrm, wait a second..
    *gets an Si-full phone call from ENFP mother in her mid 50s*
    *realizes this is going to happen to him*
    *curls up in a corner chanting away the Si spirits*

MBTI
    INTJ

Physical reality lies outside and is ephemeral.
    Physical reality resides inside and is timeless.

Both are different from the operation of your senses.

Om.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Se, I always picture all this constant flow of information raining down on people, always taking in everything that's currently happening within a certain time frame. Associations are fast and fluid. Makes them more fast paced, fun, and up to date. Downside is not always thinking before acting. (sp's and enxj's).

Si builds up over time. "This is like that, this is different than that, this works. This doesn't work." Still needs to be in the moment on some level to collect the information. These people tend to think before they act because they have to refer back to previous connections to find out about the best decisions. Slower pace, more thorough and calculated, and in control. Downside is getting stuck in outdated routines. (SJ's and inxp's)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx

Se is for taking in information objectively, Si is for recalling information objectively.

I think jontherobot does a pretty good job at explaining it: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...-vs-se-ni.html
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

Schopenhauer