• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are you more different from your four letter opposite or your functional opposite?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I find myself more similar to my four letter opposite. Assuming I've typed as INTP correctly, I find myself more like the ESFJ (4 letter opposite) than the ESFP (functional opposite). The ESFJ, even though it's the 4 letter opposite, shares all of the cognitive functions, just in a different order. ESFP shares the P but no cognitive functions. I'm very different from both of these types, but moreso the ESFP.

Since I've also considered other types, interestingly enough, I still relate more to the 4 letter opposite. If I'm INFP, I find myself more like ESTJ than ESTP. If I'm ISFJ, I'm more like ENTP than ENTJ.

I'm not sure if it's just me though or if others are like this as well. I do have a strong Si/Ne inclination and the types I've considered for myself are all introverts who 'use' Si/Ne.

_eric_

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd say I'm much more similar to ESTJ than ESTP. Even though I use Ni a lot, I use Si a lot as well, but not quite as much, and my Fe preference is small, sometimes even coming up as 50% on tests, usually no more than about 60%, though I always end up relating more to the Fe descriptions. Considering that, ESTJ isn't actually a huge difference to how I already am; the main difference is that I'm just very introverted, so my strongest functions, I believe, are Ni, Si, and Fi/Ti, in that order. It basically goes like:

Ni=>Si (strong with slight Ni preference)
Ti=Fi (strong but noticeably secondary)
Fe=>Te (moderate with slight Fe preference)
Ne (somewhat less moderate)
Se (practically nonexistent lol)

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can envision myself potentially changing into any of the P types(even the ESPs) but I think if I changed to a J type it would feel a lot more alien.

Even though I am pretty different from ESFPs we share the general JiPe preference, I think P vs J is the biggest letter difference among the types.

FireShield98

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
Wait, I thought that the functional opposites only had the N/S and T/F different, but the I/E and J/P were the same. For example the INTJ's opposite would be the ISFJ because the INTJ functions are Ni Te Fi Se Ne Ti Fe Si and the ISFJ functions are Si Fe Ti Ne Se Fi Te Ni. Yet from what you're saying, the functional opposite of an INTJ would be an ESFJ.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I can't see myself as ISTJ haha, I'm way too bubbly and outgoing. Also I'm not as rigid as they are unless someone violates my moral values but even then I'm not that intense. And although I get excited at the idea of new projects, I definitely could not follow through with it like they can. That being said, I think I'd be more similar to ISTP because of my sense of adventure and desire to learn how things work. Even though we share no functions at all, I think the Se desire to jump into new and exciting happenings is just a more action-oriented version of my Ne desire to experience new things and make connections.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I identify more with ESTJs than ESTPs. It's something about the intensity and conviction - even though it's expressed more openly and assertively than I generally do. Also the way they balance humour and earnestness is something I get too. I see ESTJs as a INFP turned inside-out, and that is more meaningful to me. I feel I understand them more because they better reflect my fundamental qualities and aspects of my inner self.

Although, the Pness of ESTPs does feel familiar. They're so changeable and vibey in their ideas, humour and where they direct their attention, and that I identify with (again in an introverted way). But overall, I feel like we're very different people at heart.

All that said, I probably will get into arguments more with ESTJs than ESTPs. I think the fundamental similarities taken to such different ends can cause more tension. It's like we sense the similarities and try to reconcile them with the differences. That doesn't mean we can't get along and enjoy one another's company. We just have to get past trying to 'correct' and 'reform' one another's 'faults'.

Nicki

Retired
I have nothing in common with most ISFJs that I know but I definitely have an inner ISFP in me. I really identify with their morals usually.

S

Society

yes, I have a little ISFJ growing inside of me.

we need to legalize personality abortions.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I find myself having commonalities between EP/ij over IP/ej. This has always seemed a critical divide for me and sometimes i wonder if it has to do w serotonin

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I believe people to be most different from their four-letter opposite, rather than from their functional opposite.

Just because someone has the same functions as you do does not mean they will be in the same order, nor does it mean they will be used in the same way.

However, someone with your opposite letters will have the least similarities in their personality in common with your own personality.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm definitely more like my four letter opposite (xstj) than functional (xstp, one of the types I understand the least, right down there with inxj, sorry inxj's- not sorry xstps. :dont:, or maybe xstps can just handle jokes better. jk inxj's.)

Anyway, rambling aside, as I get older, I find myself to be more and more xstj, feel very happy and clear headed when I'm able to think along some backwards function routes. (Not "shadowey" as the theory implies.) Maybe that's also because being stj is easy peasey by a lot of society standards. Or maybe balance is fun. :happy2:

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There is no functional opposite. Because there is no reliability of cog functions after the first two anyway, much less 4.

I can be very ESTP when I'm mad.

RoadPaveMent

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I related better to the ESTJs I've known than the ESTPs, but the complicating factor was that all the ESTJs were my duals in socionics personality type theory and all the ESTPs were my conflictors. :eek: Kind of a huge complicating factor.