User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 20

  1. #1
    Senior Member iNtrovert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    MBTI
    Ni
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    362

    Default When did you first form you views on different aspects of life?

    I'm realizing my views of certain aspects of life can be traced back to a point in my childhood. For example in the 3rd/ 4th grade I got picked on a lot and no one ever seemed to do anything about it. Then one day my tormentors found someone else to pick on. I don't remember the exact situation but the long and short of it was I could either join them or or continue to be relentlessly humiliated. I remember thinking this is just how the world must work I don't want to be made fun of anymore and it's only fair someone else gets a turn so I decided to join them. The recess monitor noticed the kid was upset and I ended up feeling so bad that I confessed. I told her what happened and gave names of everyone involved but I was the only one that got in trouble. The kid didn't want to look like a snitch so he told the teacher I was lying. I guess he figured I wasn't as much as a threat to him as everyone else. I ended up taking all the credit for making him cry when in reality all I did was laugh and throw a wood chip at him. I took a few things away from that.

    1.I didn't like the feeling of personal gain at the expense of others. (I felt horrible I did that.Even now it's uncomfortable to admit to it)
    2.Life is not fair. (I was getting picked on for weeks and no one ever came to my rescue)
    3.I could only depend on myself for protection( The recess monitors didn't protect me nor did joining the mob)
    4.Not to be too trusting. ( Even tho I was the only one to apologize the victim had no problem turning his back on me for personal gain)


    Up until that point I remember being very trusting and thinking that following the rules would protect me. I thought what goes around comes around but after that experience I became really skeptical. It's almost like I decided the system didn't work and my whole perception of justice was changed. I felt sometimes the bad guys don't get what they deserve but also I have to answer for my own actions. From then on I decided I had to make and live up to my own standards. (I guess the makings of a J?) Can anyone else remember a moment where their world view changed?
    "Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul."_Walt Whitman

  2. #2
    Gone Aesthete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx
    Posts
    385

    Default

    I think my beliefs have always been subconsciously there, waiting to be tapped; some are still waiting.
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

    Schopenhauer

  3. #3
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,806

    Default

    You mean there is one aspect on life?

    Mine has never been fixed. There were always different influences, flowing, changing and this frightened me. There was no foothold in my childhood to grasp onto; all aspects were simultaneously accurate and inaccurate, justifiable and unjustifiable, truth and lies. Which is why I was, and still am, so insecure.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  4. #4
    Senior Member iNtrovert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    MBTI
    Ni
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aesthete View Post
    I think my beliefs have always been subconsciously there, waiting to be tapped; some are still waiting.
    That's another way of looking at it. I guess the question would become when did you become aware of you subconscious beliefs. What situation cause them to manifest themselves so that you could recognize them as your beliefs?
    "Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul."_Walt Whitman

  5. #5
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    I feel like an arrow shot from the womb.

  6. #6
    Gone Aesthete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx
    Posts
    385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iNtrovert View Post
    That's another way of looking at it. I guess the question would become when did you become aware of you subconscious beliefs. What situation cause them to manifest themselves so that you could recognize them as your beliefs?
    Hm...perhaps when I was 12. That's when I began looking at the world around me and thinking about what was wrong with it. I'm afraid I won't be able to go too much into detail, as there are a lot of topics to cover, and some of my views have changed since then and between, but I think the underlying ideas were always the same. I remember sitting in class, surrounded by noise from others speaking - an incessant noise which drove me mad. I began to ask myself "What is the point of it all?" (not a nihilistic question, just one questioning the Zeitgeist) and thus my great adventure began.
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

    Schopenhauer

  7. #7
    Senior Member iNtrovert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    MBTI
    Ni
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    You mean there is one aspect on life?

    Mine has never been fixed. There were always different influences, flowing, changing and this frightened me. There was no foothold in my childhood to grasp onto; all aspects were simultaneously accurate and inaccurate, justifiable and unjustifiable, truth and lies. Which is why I was, and still am, so insecure.
    Interesting. I could see that. I feel like I stick to my main core beliefs but I apply them differently to different situations.The result might be different but all my core views will play a role at one point or another. I guess I'm pinpointing when those judging metrics were formed and not necessarily the views themselves.
    "Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul."_Walt Whitman

  8. #8
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,893

    Default

    It's not how my mind works really - to have absolute beliefs - a right way and a wrong way. There are certain things - integrity and loyalty for example - that I believe are very important. "Life isn't fair" is an example of something that - in some ways it is and in some ways it isn't. Karma. There are general rules of thumbs that I've picked up like people generally do things for what they perceive as good reasons. It helps you to place more trust in others. So, maybe there are some heuristics that I've picked up over the years. Those things generally have coincided with painful lessons.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  9. #9
    girl with a pretty smile Honor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so
    Posts
    1,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iNtrovert View Post
    I'm realizing my views of certain aspects of life can be traced back to a point in my childhood. For example in the 3rd/ 4th grade I got picked on a lot and no one ever seemed to do anything about it. Then one day my tormentors found someone else to pick on. I don't remember the exact situation but the long and short of it was I could either join them or or continue to be relentlessly humiliated. I remember thinking this is just how the world must work I don't want to be made fun of anymore and it's only fair someone else gets a turn so I decided to join them. The recess monitor noticed the kid was upset and I ended up feeling so bad that I confessed. I told her what happened and gave names of everyone involved but I was the only one that got in trouble. The kid didn't want to look like a snitch so he told the teacher I was lying. I guess he figured I wasn't as much as a threat to him as everyone else. I ended up taking all the credit for making him cry when in reality all I did was laugh and throw a wood chip at him. I took a few things away from that.

    1.I didn't like the feeling of personal gain at the expense of others. (I felt horrible I did that.Even now it's uncomfortable to admit to it)
    2.Life is not fair. (I was getting picked on for weeks and no one ever came to my rescue)
    3.I could only depend on myself for protection( The recess monitors didn't protect me nor did joining the mob)
    4.Not to be too trusting. ( Even tho I was the only one to apologize the victim had no problem turning his back on me for personal gain)


    Up until that point I remember being very trusting and thinking that following the rules would protect me. I thought what goes around comes around but after that experience I became really skeptical. It's almost like I decided the system didn't work and my whole perception of justice was changed. I felt sometimes the bad guys don't get what they deserve but also I have to answer for my own actions. From then on I decided I had to make and live up to my own standards. (I guess the makings of a J?) Can anyone else remember a moment where their world view changed?
    Interesting thread, iNtrovert. As a child, I was very trusting and believed that "the rules" would protect me, as well. Around the time I turned 18, I had a series of experiences in which I realized that authority figures think they should take advantage of people because (a) they were victimized as kids and (b) adults, who I was told were more "mature" and "wise" than children, have not grown up emotionally and are often ignorant.

  10. #10
    Member Folderol's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Childhood (only the really big things), but besides that I'm not sure they have a specific deep area. I guess I could go back and say "I think ______ about ________ because [specific example]" and I have opinions on things, but I don't have this general feeling of "I know what I am all all about and I value X, Y, and Z." therefore providing examples like the above would make me come off as so grounded and sure, so I'm going to do that. I still feel like a work in progress and that as I get new information, I can change what I think.

Similar Threads

  1. Dear Cynics: When did you become cynical?
    By Giggly in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 03-31-2016, 12:42 PM
  2. Replies: 69
    Last Post: 05-22-2012, 05:01 PM
  3. [INFP] When did you move out to live on your own?
    By Rebe in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-18-2011, 01:28 PM
  4. [NT] Questions to NTPs. When did you realize that...
    By Cypocalypse in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 01-13-2010, 03:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO