User Tag List

First 12

Banned

I made the foundation between age 8-15, now I'm shaping it.

garbage

I didn't start forming true foundations until my mid-20s. It seems as though I developed the skillset to form foundations, but that I was deviated from the subject matter that I needed to apply them to.

I wound up with the general impression that everything is arbitrary, and it's up to us to make sense of it.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I find that un-finding foundations has come more naturally to me over time... the more I learn the less certain I become and the grayer and grayer the world gets

however, I've developed some pretty distinct likes and dislikes by this time... my loathing for garth brooks and cauliflower, for instance
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

The moment I turned to homosexuality.

thinking of you

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Don't the just evolve over time? I think of it like an heuristic algorithm that continues to expand with my consciousness as I take in more variation in experience.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    Ni
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII

I defiantly feel my perspective on certain things has changed but there are a few core beliefs that just stuck with me like the the one in my OP. These observations became reference point to which I allowed myself to be shaped. As I gained more information it was compared to those beliefs. From that point it became either a rule or the exception to the rule.
    "Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul."_Walt Whitman

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Its an on going thing, mainly in my teens under the influence of my dad and uncle, although I think my uncle's love of martial arts philosophy as portrayed in old movies, the TV series Kung Fu, Asian cinema (Godzilla et al) was influential before my teens and without it being as conscious.

My dad influenced my formation of political views, I remember breaking from some of the main stays of what I thought were my political opinions in my later teens, before uni, the first time I went to uni, which became a sort of pattern of re-examining my views and seriously considering that which I might have considered anathema at one time to see what could be integrated or what should be discarded and only confirmed my worst suspiscions about particular creedos or people.

I've always been really humanistic, the suffering of others bothers me, whether its self-inflicted or not. As time has gone on I've developed better boundaries and realised that a lot of people who're suffering and can provoke sympathy dont deserve it but arent just undeserving of sympathy but are positively dangerous, either because they're chaotic or because they're vengeful towards anyone and everyone.

There's a lot of movies which my peers were interested in, action flicks, horrors, violent swords and sorcery flicks, which I couldnt enjoy as a kid, even if the evil guys were defeated eventually and I knew it was make believe it'd still bother me or be unenjoyable. I also realised that real life did not fit any of the good prevailing by virtue of being good ideas which were the staple of stories and even schooling. It didnt make me cynical but it did make me think that making it a reality was something I wanted to make my life's mission.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by iNtrovert View Post
    I defiantly feel my perspective on certain things has changed but there are a few core beliefs that just stuck with me like the the one in my OP. These observations became reference point to which I allowed myself to be shaped. As I gained more information it was compared to those beliefs. From that point it became either a rule or the exception to the rule.
    To be honest I think that nearly all beliefs, internal scripts, whatever you want to call them correspond to two things, the first and most important is attachment style, the second but also important is social character, ie what society demands on the individual, or needs the individual to be, want etc. the individual becomes.

That's the foundation, everything is built on that and its not acknowledged very often or people dont like to for different reasons.

As a result I think that the old saying about I've heard a lot of things which influenced my opinion but nothing which influenced my vote is important, not in a literal sense, although that could be true, I mean that you can find lots of things which provide food for thought but it'll get channelled or filtered through the same, possibly unconscious, scripts or mental and emotional mediums or channels.

It is a version of determinism but its what I'd call "soft determinism" and in any case, like Kant, I think that we can know or believe determinism to be a fact but dont believe we should abdicate responsibility.

MBTI
    Ni
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post

As a result I think that the old saying about I've heard a lot of things which influenced my opinion but nothing which influenced my vote is important, not in a literal sense, although that could be true, I mean that you can find lots of things which provide food for thought but it'll get channelled or filtered through the same, possibly unconscious, scripts or mental and emotional mediums or channels.
    I agree. Like light being passed through a tinted glass. We can become reflections of our experiences, personal bias, society ect but it get passed through our filter. Such as the reflection of the light will bare the tint. That's not to say we can't control how much we let those things influence us.
    "Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul."_Walt Whitman

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Beliefs change and evolve, but principles have been relatively constant. I have always followed my conscience, and it has always told me the same thing. I have fit my beliefs around them, incorporating new information and perspectives. There have been points which solidified them, or at which my beliefs fundamentally changed.

One incident I will always remember was when I was 6 and playing in the backyard. I found one of those big mosquito like things with the long legs and pulled its legs and wings off. I don't know why, I guess I was curious. Like a serial killer in the making dissects small animals. But I had a pang of empathy after I did it, and realized that I had harmed a living thing and it probably suffered. So I resolved to not harm living things from that moment on.

(I could probably write a long entry on this topic I just realized. We'll see if I can make it short.) When I was around 13 I thought I had it all figured out ethically. The liberals were right and the conservatives were wrong and bad. I spent a lot of time thinking about how wrong they were and why, and how I could convince them. Around that time though I was in serious doubt about Christianity, and soon after decided I didn't believe it. That really made me think: I didn't want to have the same attitude towards politics as the fundamentalists had towards religion. I decided I had a kind of black and white, good versus evil attitude, and it needed to be changed or else I was going to be a hypocrite. So from that point I became more open to other views and less judgmental.

My second year of college I took several religion and philosophy courses with a professor who taught in a version of Taoism, and that changed my life because it expressed all my beliefs in a coherent way that made sense.

Soon after that I took a sociology class and we discussed serial killers and child abusers and other such horrible people, and I really thought about it, as though I was involved. Previously I had been against the death penalty, but after that I decided that if something like that happened to someone I loved I would want the person dead. (I now have a more sophisticated view, but that feeling was the catalyst.) After that I became more of a moral relativist, and since then my ethical views have become increasingly relativistic. I'll still follow my conscience, but I think ultimately ethics comes down to people making their own choices and being responsible for the consequences of their actions. If everyone was responsible, we couldn't go too wrong with any set of ethics.