• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ne vs. Ni + seeing the future

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
So it's no big secret that intuitives are known for being able to see "the big picture". In fact, many intuitives claim that they can see things that are going to happen before they even happen (not in a psychic way but in an intuitive way). So my question is this, in what way does seeing the future differ in terms of Ne and Ni? Ne users constantly report that they can see possibilities of things that could happen in the future? If so how does this work for Ne users? For instance, do you just know what possibilities could come next or do you have visions in your head of things that could happen almost like it was playing a reel of a movie in your head, except the movie was set in the future? Also I've heard that Ni users have visions of the future. What is this like for Ni users, is it just one large vision? Is it a few visions? What is this like?

I ask this because there is a very real possibility that I use both Ne and Ni well. For instance, many times I will just know what possibilities may occur. However, many times what happens in my mind is that I have almost AMC theater screen style reels in my head of things that could happen. They are visions, and I have several of them. I will imagine a scenario and then the scenario will play in my head like a video. It's very strange. I'm trying to diagnose whether this is Ne, Ni, or some combination of functions.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think of what you describe in that last paragraph as Ne more-so because there is one point of origin (an idea) and then it branches outward like a web (or maybe web isn't a precise illustration, but I cannot think of another one right now). I know you use Ni though as well.

No one is psychic. No one knows the future. I know you were not saying that, I just wanted to reiterate it. But I think Ni dom users' way of seeing the future is unusual because we already see things in a way others do not tend to see (which is what not only makes us weird, because INTPs are weird, but in a cool way--INTPs are weird in a cool way, I mean-- but moreso unpopular, because it's usually against mainstream thought at the time), so we take lots of loose ends and try to melt them into a unifying cohesive endpoint/endtime. Because we start from thought-places others usually don't frequent already, we necessarily end up at a place that others cannot seem to fathom. Then when they demand to try and follow our thought processes, they cannot because the origins of thought were based on Ni irrationality.

It only comes to bear out once time has passed and Ni's prediction has come true. Not that it always comes true, by any means.

I don't so much as try to predict the future, though I do naturally contemplate it. I find it overwhelming to contemplate for the most part. Because for me it involves taking unlimited variables and finding the ones with common denominators, or eventual common denominators, that will probably end up relating, at some future point in time. I think that is why, if you want an accurate prediction, you listen to those who might be expert in their field. An Ni dom who is expert in a field. INTJs might be better therefore at predicting events regarding systems and fluctuations, and INFJs at predicting human nature.

And, hi btw. :blush: Thanks for the thread. :bye:

Standuble

Interesting question!

I see the possibilities of how a situation could play out, they play out in my mind in the same manner as daydreamed thoughts and ideas. They are partially seen but partially not (I would compare them to having their outlines drawn in invisible ink with my mind just pretending its coloured and detailed.) I do not get the sense of "premonition" I have heard associated with the Ni however I have been intrigued by the occurrence of "perspective shift" inside my head. I do not know if this can occur as part of the evaluation of Ne via the dominant introverted judging function or if I am actually using Ni though. I see numerous possibilities but their likelihood of occurrence is only defined through the Fi and Te, although they are dismissed as not going to happen the Ne still maintains it as a possible (abeit unlikely) outcome. When the two functions choose not to get involved the various outcomes remain undefined. I don't really have an "aha" moment so much but I do have a "lightbulb" moment where I suddenly realise a connection between two seemingly far removed entities or ideas or a new way of solving a problem I have been facing.

Despite the above however my Ne (and probably Fi) does allow me to see far into the future (e.g. thousands or millions of years) to possible futures for humanity and the universe itself. Ni is usually associated with distant future thinking but I do believe that Ne can do the same (it's the same principles as near future thought IMO.)

IIRC SolitaryWalker (who used to be on this site) either created or popularized the idea that we simulate the use of shadow functions through the simultaneous use of two functions. In our case we could in theory utilise a caricature (though sound) version of the Ni through the use of both Ne and the Ji function at the same time. Likewise the same with TPs using simulated Fi through the analysis of their Fe through their Ti and FPs simulating Ti via Fi evaluation of the Te. If this is correct then you probably are indeed using Ne and Ni as you claim.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I've noticed that many Ti users (ESTP's) especially say that they are constantly 10 steps ahead of others. If so I would ask how this is possible? After all ESTP's are intuitive function last. Do you think Ne<Ti could look like Ni?

Standuble

I've noticed that many Ti users (ESTP's) especially say that they are constantly 10 steps ahead of others. If so I would ask how this is possible? After all ESTP's are intuitive function last. Do you think Ne<Ti could look like Ni?

When you say 10 steps ahead do you mean in the prophetic sense e.g. they know what is going to happen ahead of time or the thought sense e.g. they have already deduced answers to questions far faster than others? Would the context be same for all Ti users, e.g. estps could refer to the latter whilst entps would be the former. I have read somewhere on the net that the estps have the biggest numbers of complex thought and logic centres out of all the types (with my type being dead last!!) so I could imagine the latter be true in their case. If it is the former I can only assume it's their inferior Ni being analyzed by the Ti. The N is all about connections between data which is what we use to build a web either Ne or Ni style to determine what could happen, I can't see ESTPs having that big a facility with this. It's possible the analytical nature of the Ti allows Ne (possibly Ni too) connections to be identified better than their Fi counterparts but again this wouldn't really apply to STPs.

I think Ne < Ti (and Ti > Ne) would only be Ni so far in that intuitions are determined internally in the inner world whilst introspecting (this is mostly how this occurs for me) but for an N dom like yourself the dynamics would probably allow for a more potent internal intuition which could be classified as Ni. But I'm only speculating on that part.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
When you say 10 steps ahead do you mean in the prophetic sense e.g. they know what is going to happen ahead of time or the thought sense e.g. they have already deduced answers to questions far faster than others? Would the context be same for all Ti users, e.g. estps could refer to the latter whilst entps would be the former. I have read somewhere on the net that the estps have the biggest numbers of complex thought and logic centres out of all the types (with my type being dead last!!) so I could imagine the latter be true in their case. If it is the former I can only assume it's their inferior Ni being analyzed by the Ti. The N is all about connections between data which is what we use to build a web either Ne or Ni style to determine what could happen, I can't see ESTPs having that big a facility with this. It's possible the analytical nature of the Ti allows Ne (possibly Ni too) connections to be identified better than their Fi counterparts but again this wouldn't really apply to STPs.

I think Ne < Ti (and Ti > Ne) would only be Ni so far in that intuitions are determined internally in the inner world whilst introspecting (this is mostly how this occurs for me) but for an N dom like yourself the dynamics would probably allow for a more potent internal intuition which could be classified as Ni. But I'm only speculating on that part.

My visions usually come when I am alone introspecting as well.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So it's no big secret that intuitives are known for being able to see "the big picture". In fact, many intuitives claim that they can see things that are going to happen before they even happen (not in a psychic way but in an intuitive way). So my question is this, in what way does seeing the future differ in terms of Ne and Ni? Ne users constantly report that they can see possibilities of things that could happen in the future? If so how does this work for Ne users? For instance, do you just know what possibilities could come next or do you have visions in your head of things that could happen almost like it was playing a reel of a movie in your head, except the movie was set in the future? Also I've heard that Ni users have visions of the future. What is this like for Ni users, is it just one large vision? Is it a few visions? What is this like?

I ask this because there is a very real possibility that I use both Ne and Ni well. For instance, many times I will just know what possibilities may occur. However, many times what happens in my mind is that I have almost AMC theater screen style reels in my head of things that could happen. They are visions, and I have several of them. I will imagine a scenario and then the scenario will play in my head like a video. It's very strange. I'm trying to diagnose whether this is Ne, Ni, or some combination of functions.

Ni types, particularly INTJs, report their premonitions/ideas as "movies" inside their heads.

All types are capable of predicting the future, but each holds different assumptions w/r to how to do so. Ne/Si types tend to assume "straight-line" extrapolation, Ni/Se types tend to adopt a more "curvy" perspective of how things might evolve. Ti/Fe types will have a strong focus on logical consistency, and will be able to predict that "something" will "break" even if they cannot predict when. Te/Fi types will have a strong focus on process, and can see fairly quickly whether a particular process will lead to the intended result.

With respect to "using" both Ne and Ni, I used to believe the same thing of myself, until I clarified for myself the qualitative differences between Ne and Ni. Ne is more static, as if it were based on statistical analysis and linear regression. Ni is more dynamic, based on understanding underlying functionality. For instance, see this post: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36241&page=4&p=1990801#post1990801

S

Society

Strictly speaking, for Ne users, what we will likely experience isn't so much seen the future, rather, a retroactive delusion that we have already predicted what ended up happening, simply because there's a very good chance that we will remember having thought of the possibility that ended up truly happening via association, while not having any associations to all the possibilities you thought of that didn't happen.

That's being said, I am inclined to believe that Ne and Ni have a naturally wide overlap: both functions take patterns, the difference is that Ne then goes to connect those patterns with our internal collection of patterns to breed new patterns, Ni gravitates towards the present pattern-source to collect and connect more patterns about it.

I believe that as we grow older, we naturally tend to compensate, and the overlap grows wider:
with Ne doms, the development of our inferior Si has a calming affect that allows our minds to become more comfortable and settled, and as such as can stay focused on the pattern longer before our minds zig zag away.
as Ni doms mature, they will often externalize their collection of patterns through the engagement of inferior Se, allowing them to form new patterns through it.

FYI - your previous avatar was better.

Standuble

Strictly speaking, for Ne users, what we will likely experience isn't so much seen the future, rather, a retroactive delusion that we have already predicted what ended up happening, simply because there's a very good chance that we will remember having thought of the possibility that ended up truly happening via association, while not having any associations to all the possibilities you thought of that didn't happen.

I don't experience this. Even if I do not remember the content of the inaccurate prediction I will remember that I made inaccurate predictions and can estimate roughly how different it was from the final result. I won't declare myself right unless one of the predictions made was more or less spot on and even then I would not overlook that it was just one of many predictions. This is probably down to the individual more than the function. I would say the central delusion of Ne is that the future is even involved. I have long suspected that Ne is pure present based and not future based at all. Part of Ne's function is to see a different way the world could be laid out (as well as the abstract connections that do exist) but the brain knows for the former part that this differs from the layout of the tangible environment. To overcome this difference the Ji functions labels the alternate layout for tangible reality "future" as this would prevent the annihilation of Ne as the future could allow this different environment to exist. Basically as one failsafe to overcome cognitive dissonance which is used again and again.

The process is probably different for Ni but the same lack of true future focus e.g. a massive framework of tangible real world data allows them to build a tower which allows them to see further across the landscape only due to higher altitude. They have a bird's eye view of what's happening down there but they aren't there seeing it for themselves and plenty of gray areas. An understanding of the present which allows a determination of the future. But I'm still working on these ideas so there may be holes in them.

I agree with the rest of what you wrote though. I would be interested to see how a more developed Si assists Ne (I love Ne to bits and would hate to see it undermined by Si.)

S

Society

I don't experience this. Even if I do not remember the content of the inaccurate prediction I will remember that I made inaccurate predictions and can estimate roughly how different it was from the final result. I won't declare myself right unless one of the predictions made was more or less spot on and even then I would not overlook that it was just one of many predictions. This is probably down to the individual more than the function. I would say the central delusion of Ne is that the future is even involved. I have long suspected that Ne is pure present based and not future based at all. Part of Ne's function is to see a different way the world could be laid out (as well as the abstract connections that do exist) but the brain knows for the former part that this differs from the layout of the tangible environment. To overcome this difference the Ji functions labels the alternate layout for tangible reality "future" as this would prevent the annihilation of Ne as the future could allow this different environment to exist. Basically as one failsafe to overcome cognitive dissonance which is used again and again.

The process is probably different for Ni but the same lack of true future focus e.g. a massive framework of tangible real world data allows them to build a tower which allows them to see further across the landscape only due to higher altitude. They have a bird's eye view of what's happening down there but they aren't there seeing it for themselves and plenty of gray areas. An understanding of the present which allows a determination of the future. But I'm still working on these ideas so there may be holes in them.

I agree with the rest of what you wrote though. I would be interested to see how a more developed Si assists Ne (I love Ne to bits and would hate to see it undermined by Si.)

excellent points about pushing the Ne notions into the future in order to avoid cognitive dissonance. On this I'd only expand that i think the priority between cognitive dissonance and emotional dissonance - and the question of which stresses us more - is quite likely to be the determining factor between thinkers and feelers. In combination to your hypothesis, this would explain why many NTPs are overall more likely to push their Ne notions into the future, while many NFPs are a lot more likely to be content in maintaining their Ne notions within the world of fantasy, mythology and spirituality.

I would say that not only is Ne not-future-oriented, but in the mechanics of how it works, it is actually past-oriented. there's a reason for why Ne and Si always come together, just as Si draws from past experience to examine the current experience, Ne draws upon past patterns to breed with the new patterns. they are both traits a memory-oriented collecting mindset, merely collecting very different kinds of objects.

Ni and Se on the other hand, come together precisely because the underlining mechanics are both characteristic of a mindset which is present-oriented immersing mindset, and aware of the objects within the present environment, again one immersing within the patterns, while the other immersing within the present experience.

the core difference is not one of set in stone limits (the NeSi user can certainly get immersed, while the SeNi user certainly has memories), but rather, a question of what information (both intuitive & sensory) the brain decides to prioritize as more relevant. if the MBTI dichotomy is to be believed, then we can conclude that the human evolution has answered that question through tribalism - both are needed, so let's have individuals specialized in one or the other.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've thought about this before, I'm not totally buying into the N= future business. That seems strictly Ni to me. Ni/Se some kind of an applicable version of the future. I personally am more present oriented but as you say, possibilities. Possibilities of the present or surrounding time. I draw a lot from the past as well. There are all these many different options of what could have/ what is/ what will be. That's "big picture" thinking without necessarily being focused on the future all the time. Ne is this really convoluted idea oriented writing of a choose your own adventure book or something.

Standuble

I've thought about this before, I'm not totally buying into the N= future business. That seems strictly Ni to me. Ni/Se some kind of an applicable version of the future. I personally am more present oriented but as you say, possibilities. Possibilities of the present or surrounding time. I draw a lot from the past as well. There are all these many different options of what could have/ what is/ what will be. That's "big picture" thinking without necessarily being focused on the future all the time. Ne is this really convoluted idea oriented writing of a choose your own adventure book or something.

Are you sure Ni/Se is more related to future business? There's quite a number of tin foil hats out there obsessed with conspiracy theories that exist in the present :) I've read that all humans have the ability to see ahead and plan ahead to a degree (probably because there is an evolutionary need to be able to see danger before it strikes) but it is in no fortune telling.

From what I understand Se creates a framework of tangible data (think a sea of dots) which the Ni connects in a way it seems best later on (e.g. joining certain dots to each other so you can form a picture, for example creating a picture of a stick man from a large square consisting of dots whilst leaving most other dots blank.) Most of the data is dismissed and the joining of the dots which were taken into account creates a perception of the world which may or may not be true. I suspect this may be the reason why stronger Ni users have a weaker Se for a larger intake of sensory data would derail the delicate image the Ni has created in the mind.

Long story short, I proposed before that the future focus of Ne is merely the mind playing tricks to avoid cognitive dissonance. I'm still on the fence on whether it is true/false or somewhere in between. However I do not see how it would be any different for Ni, the mind could just as easily realise it is not how things are and dismiss it as the future.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think the future orientation of Ne is more optimistic, built more on pure speculation- whereas the future orientation of Ni is a mix of getting a glimpse of what is 'likely' to happen (it starts with trouble-shooting, wanting to avoid unwanted outcomes) and using speculation to form a best-case-scenario wanted outcome from it instead.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are you sure Ni/Se is more related to future business? There's quite a number of tin foil hats out there obsessed with conspiracy theories that exist in the present :) I've read that all humans have the ability to see ahead and plan ahead to a degree (probably because there is an evolutionary need to be able to see danger before it strikes) but it is in no fortune telling.

From what I understand Se creates a framework of tangible data (think a sea of dots) which the Ni connects in a way it seems best later on (e.g. joining certain dots to each other so you can form a picture, for example creating a picture of a stick man from a large square consisting of dots whilst leaving most other dots blank.) Most of the data is dismissed and the joining of the dots which were taken into account creates a perception of the world which may or may not be true. I suspect this may be the reason why stronger Ni users have a weaker Se for a larger intake of sensory data would derail the delicate image the Ni has created in the mind.

Long story short, I proposed before that the future focus of Ne is merely the mind playing tricks to avoid cognitive dissonance. I'm still on the fence on whether it is true/false or somewhere in between. However I do not see how it would be any different for Ni, the mind could just as easily realise it is not how things are and dismiss it as the future.

Yea. I can see this POV as well. I may also be thinking of Ni in combination with Te or Fe, (thinking of like a bunch of politicians or something, "we will change the world for the better!")(or an intj sitting in the dark thinking about some evolutionary process where humans could be come extinct) which would include some variety of factors besides just having Ni vs. Ne. The cognitive dissonance statement sounds like it could involve other factors as well, though. (Ti influence, for instance.) I guess if you are going to be super-possibility focused your mind is eventually going to drift into the future either way.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I think the future orientation of Ne is more optimistic, built more on pure speculation- whereas the future orientation of Ni is a mix of getting a glimpse of what is 'likely' to happen (it starts with trouble-shooting, wanting to avoid unwanted outcomes) and using speculation to form a best-case-scenario wanted outcome from it instead.

I get the "glimpse". I can really relate to this post more than any other. My future visions are not based on past experiences at all unlike other Ne users on this thread. The future predictions I have are like visions that I watch in my head like a youtube video.

W

WALMART

Ne seems more concerned with potentiality.

Ni seems more cognizant of temporal happenings.

Folderol

MBTI Type
INTP
I would be interested to see how a more developed Si assists Ne (I love Ne to bits and would hate to see it undermined by Si.)
A random theory: perhaps it links patterns and ideas to more concrete data as once experienced, like remembering the past way something was done and concentrating on if it can fit into an intuitive framework to draw conclusions. Maybe it could also prioritize finding situations where the outcome is a similar result of the original Si experience (reinforcing Si), even if it's not accomplished in the same way (Ne potential). This is a loose example, but you know the whole "there are many paths to climb a mountain" idea? Ne would just care about the options of paths available. With Si throw in though, perhaps just climbing the mountain isn't enough. Now one has to climb the mountain with something else taken into account, like the most scenic route (because last time the route was ugly and that created a negative impression), try to mimic the time table of the previous climb, even if on a different route (perhaps it was the optimal time to catch sunsets), or climb the mountain the hardest/easiest route (because hiking is an activity that you think should benefit you physically or not be too physical). Do you get what I mean? I read your post and was like "I'm gonna think about what that could entail" and then this all came to me in chunks as I typed (it actually came out faster on paper than in my head - Te?). I start typing something and then realize... where did that come from!? But it sounds like it makes sense.

Standuble

A random theory: perhaps it links patterns and ideas to more concrete data as once experienced, like remembering the past way something was done and concentrating on if it can fit into an intuitive framework to draw conclusions. Maybe it could also prioritize finding situations where the outcome is a similar result of the original Si experience (reinforcing Si), even if it's not accomplished in the same way (Ne potential). This is a loose example, but you know the whole "there are many paths to climb a mountain" idea? Ne would just care about the options of paths available. With Si throw in though, perhaps just climbing the mountain isn't enough. Now one has to climb the mountain with something else taken into account, like the most scenic route (because last time the route was ugly and that created a negative impression), try to mimic the time table of the previous climb, even if on a different route (perhaps it was the optimal time to catch sunsets), or climb the mountain the hardest/easiest route (because hiking is an activity that you think should benefit you physically or not be too physical). Do you get what I mean? I read your post and was like "I'm gonna think about what that could entail" and then this all came to me in chunks as I typed (it actually came out faster on paper than in my head - Te?). I start typing something and then realize... where did that come from!? But it sounds like it makes sense.

I like your thinking there, thank you. I was concerned beforehand that a developed Si would cause us to be set in our ways and more insular to alternate ideas to our own detriment - with an Si attempting to assert or seize control over the hierarchy resulting in a suppression of Ne and its many advantages. But I'm perfectly happy if it permamently maintains a supporting or subservient role to make Ne more efficient and streamlined.