User Tag List

123 Last

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Default What is the point of Feeling?

Can someone explain to me the point of Feeling?

What does it actually bring to the world that isn't already there?

Thinking advances us. Intuition and Sensing are perceptionary and help us understand another's point of view. Ive never bought into the necessity of feeling for the usage of fair and kind judgements towards others.

Feeling just seems to be an emotive roller-coaster that only frustrates people and causes them to act and lash out in pointless ways. Why is it that I perform everything better without an emotive content, or rather when that emotive content is surpressed?

What value, (ironic I know), is there in Feeling? How much worse would the world be without it? Feeling is an intellectualisation of emotive content. In other words it justifies and evaluates using rationalisation surrounded by emotion. But emotion is just chemicals triggered in the brain? Why listen to the chemicals?

Why are some of us trapped into being receptive of these chemicals? I know thinkers arent dead to emotion, of course not, and there is more to feeling than JUST emotion. There is a rational side to it.

But too often that rational side is used to justify the worst of our acts. In both Feelers and Thinkers perhaps....but more often in Feelers.

If we take it to be a true construct of our cognitive faculties, rather than a random theory, then what is it's purpose?

I suspect this is an extension of self hated on my part...but im not fond of Feeling.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Damn good music

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Damn good music

But thats the problem, the positive emotions make you long for more, like a terrible drug. So people end up doing anything to keep that state alive as long as possible.

Then there are the negative ones that make people feel like shit, that cause all the hate towards each other that people hold. Of course you have always got to have opposites to define one another....but is it necessary for this opposite to exist within us?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

- A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    But thats the problem, the positive emotions make you long for more, like a terrible drug. So people end up doing anything to keep that state alive as long as possible.

Then there are the negative ones that make people feel like shit, that cause all the hate towards each other that people hold. Of course you have always got to have opposites to define one another....but is it necessary for this opposite to exist within us?
    Yes it is, because emotions are a reference point for anything. They provide us with direction, where logic would run in vicious circles and they let us know what heaven means when we know what hell is.

In our society strongly emotional people are considered weak, but in the end of the day they are the societies leaders (if they survive past age 30). What is a disadvantage in your puberty will be an advantage when you get older that sets you before everyone else cause you hold wisdom in you, you spent so many time thinking about when noone else did.

The secret to emotions is to never ignore them or tell yourself that it "will be better". When you're sad, be sad, when you're happy, be happy. And grow strong this way, stronger than you could ever imagine

Anew Leaf

It's a connected system. You can't have light without darkness, you can't have chaos without order, etc.

Going too far in either direction is not good. The two things are supposed to balance each other out.

P.S. The OP had too many questions. My head hurt -_-.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post

P.S. The OP had too many questions. My head hurt -_-.
    Sorry, that's just how my....mind speaks.

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Yes it is, because emotions are a reference point for anything. They provide us with direction, where logic would run in vicious circles and they let us know what heaven means when we know what hell is.

In our society strongly emotional people are considered weak, but in the end of the day they are the societies leaders (if they survive past age 30). What is a disadvantage in your puberty will be an advantage when you get older that sets you before everyone else cause you hold wisdom in you, you spent so many time thinking about when noone else did.

The secret to emotions is to never ignore them or tell yourself that it "will be better". When you're sad, be sad, when you're happy, be happy. And grow strong this way, stronger than you could ever imagine
    So are you saying they should be experienced...in a raw manner? But wouldn't that be even worse? It's dangerous to give in to emotions whenever they strike.

Im an extremely emotional person, but it's never improved mine or anyone elses life. These things improved when I surpressed emotion and turned it on myself rather than others.

- A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Feeling is an entire method of prioritization that utilizes value-based judgment. It takes stock of what is meaningful to who and why, an element of existence that cannot always be explained by rationality.

Because emotion is so involved in creation of meaning, Feelers are generally more influenced by it - it's an unfortunate side effect that we can become overwhelmed by it. On the other hand, Feelers are more receptive to all of the information that emotion can convey, and we have a leg up over Thinkers in that respect.

You said that "Thinking advances us", and I would agree, but it's not always at the benefit of humanity. Some inventions, while brilliant and innovative, and some systems, while strong and sound, cause people to suffer more than before their creation and implementation. Feeling cares for us, and that's incredibly important too. It brings significance, value, meaning, compassion, patience, tolerance, acceptance, healing, and virtue. It gives us direction for how to improve our inner selves, how to improve the quality of our communities, and how to treat other beings.

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmativeAnxiety
    On the bright side, there are many, many positive stimuli. You have to learn what works and keep it around!

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    So are you saying they should be experienced...in a raw manner? But wouldn't that be even worse? It's dangerous to give in to emotions whenever they strike.

Im an extremely emotional person, but it's never improved mine or anyone elses life. These things improved when I surpressed emotion and turned it on myself rather than others.
    You need to learn to understand your emotions better, so they dont have such a deep impact on you when they happen next time. And you need to find people who value your emotions, cause after all they are who you are. Just dont kill anybody or yourself

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Because emotion is so involved in creation of meaning, Feelers are generally more influenced by it - it's an unfortunate side effect that we can become overwhelmed by it.
    This is what I dont like, (har har yes feeler judgement), about feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post

You said that "Thinking advances us", and I would agree, but it's not always at the benefit of humanity. Some inventions, while brilliant and innovative, and some systems, while strong and sound, cause people to suffer more than before their creation and implementation. Feeling cares for us,
    But Thinkers have feeling as well, it is just not as dominant. What differentiates a well developed thinker in this regard?

- A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

When you have troubles with ur emotions, just call this site: http://www.sanger.dk/

It heals everything !