• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is everything connected to everything else in the universe? (Poll)

Select your temperament and the statement that best describes your position

• SF. 1. Everything that happens and exists is related to everything else - connected.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SF. 2. Most things and events in the world are related to each other, some not.

• SF. 3. Everything is just as much connected with itself as it is disconnected.

• SF. 4. Most things and events in the world are unrelated to each other, with few connections.

• SF. 5. Everything that there exists/happens is unrelated to anything else - isolated.

• ST.1. Everything that happens and exists is related to everything else - connected.

• ST. 2. Most things and events in the world are related to each other, some not.

• ST. 3. Everything is just as much connected with itself as it is disconnected.

• ST. 4. Most things and events in the world are unrelated to each other, with few connections.

• ST. 5. Everything that there exists/happens is unrelated to anything else - isolated.

• NF. 1. Everything that happens and exists is related to everything else - connected.

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • NF. 2. Most things and events in the world are related to each other, some not.

• NF. 3. Everything is just as much connected with itself as it is disconnected.

• NF.4. Most things and events in the world are unrelated to each other, with few connections.

• NF. 5. Everything that there exists/happens is unrelated to anything else - isolated.

• NT. 1. Everything that happens and exists is related to everything else - connected.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • NT. 2. Most things and events in the world are related to each other, some not.

• NT.3. Everything is just as much connected with itself as it is disconnected.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • NT. 4. Most things and events in the world are unrelated to each other, with few connections.

• NT. 5. Everything that there exists/happens is unrelated to anything else - isolated.

• Total voters

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm examining this old idea of connectedness. The one that is characterized by statements like "everything is connected to everything", "everything influences everything else" and similar. "Cosmic whole" and things like that. I'll explain at length if this isn't a familiar idea.

The opposite view is represented by abundance of statements like "it doesn't have anything to do with it", "it's a whole different thing" and similar. It's the view where you expect lack of connections between everything. What person A does isn't related to B's activities. I'll explain this at length as well if it isn't a familiar concept.

Now what might any of this have to do with temperament? Respond at will.

Edit:
I use the temperament grouping SF/ST/NF/NT here, and answers 1-5 on the scale of belief in connectedness:
*1: Everything that happens and exists is related to everything else - connected.
*2: Most things and events in the world are related to each other, some not.
*3: Everything is just as much connected with itself as it is disconnected.
*4: Most things and events in the world are unrelated to each other, with few connections.
*5: Everything that there exists/happens is unrelated to anything else - isolated.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
NT.3. Everything is just as much connected with itself as it is disconnected.

Symphony of Science - 'We Are All Connected' (ft. Sagan, Feynman, deGrasse Tyson & Bill Nye)

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I relate most to #2, but I think it is important to see things as potentially being coincidence/synchronous. Physically our best science says that things which have mass and charge are universally connected by the gravitational and electromagnetic forces. Other things are less connected and some particles have one property but not both.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What if I think that everything technically influences everything else, but that 99.999etc% of those influences are so incredibly tiny that they aren't meaningful?

Not completely sure I understand what you're saying with "connected", though.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm thinking that there's some commont elements between various things, like a 1kg rock and a 1kg toaster, or a 1kg rock and a one ton rock, but things don't mysteriously influence each other. It can be explained with science and the existence of random processes which sometimes give rise to explanations of connections.

Some things like natural laws govern many things, even though someone might not notice it. Likewise, same kinds of procedures done elsewhere in the world probably yield similar results, so noticing those connections between seemingly dissimilar things is a matter of education and domain-specific knowledge. I guess that if the domain-specific knowledge becomes too deep, one might adopt the world view 5.

But still, I'm between 2 and 3.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I vote for #3

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
What if I think that everything technically influences everything else, but that 99.999etc% of those influences are so incredibly tiny that they aren't meaningful?

Not completely sure I understand what you're saying with "connected", though.
Are there other connections for you in the world than technical? By technical, do you mean things like gravity?

RaptorWizard's video is a fun example of what connectedness might feel to someone who loves the idea.

For some, "everything in System X is being connected and every part affects each other part"* is a way to describe frustration with X's complexity, or for others, awe. The assumption here being that it would be difficult or impossible to do anything useful with such a system if one studies each of it's parts in isolation. Also, some use it to imply the kind of complexity that makes all kinds of analysis impossible, apart from some "cosmic world view", "understanding of the whole" or something like that.

Standuble

Everything is connected to everything else even if the connection is tenuous. They all have shared characteristics and dichotomies do not exist (every idea was conceived by a lifeform, everything tangible is comprised of atoms.) Everything is causual and correlation is always causation if enough pieces of data are recorded and compared (compared to justtwo types where the correlated data isn't the key influencer.)

Excuse any spelling or grammar errors. This mobile phone isn't confogured properly to allow me to see what I'm writing.

Standuble

This double post is connected to the previous post because not only are they in a sequence but they were created at the same time with the identical string of text. This one was created by an error created either by the same mobile used to create the previous post or the same website which stored the new code. This one was the unexpected twin which rolled out of the womb just after the original one. It has now been given a heavy dose of plastic surgery and sent off to be adopted in another country. But despite its now radically different appearance it's still genetically related to its brethren.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, by gravity. :yes:

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
How important are all these connections to you - like the connections that we're being governed by the same natural laws? Does it make you feel unity?

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Connected, connected, and more connected than most people can imagine even the slightest speck of.

Everything that we could possibly know about is connected..... for us to know about it is to find it through connections. The only question is that of whether things that can never be known of, do they exist?

G

garbage

Depends on one's threshold for "being connected," really; but I tend to roll with the worldview that everything's all connected and that our categories, differences, and definitions are our own (often useful) constructs.