User Tag List

View Poll Results: Select your temperament and the statement that best describes your position

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • SF. 1. Everything that happens and exists is related to everything else - connected.

0 0%
  • SF. 2. Most things and events in the world are related to each other, some not.

0 0%
  • SF. 3. Everything is just as much connected with itself as it is disconnected.

0 0%
  • SF. 4. Most things and events in the world are unrelated to each other, with few connections.

0 0%
  • SF. 5. Everything that there exists/happens is unrelated to anything else - isolated.

0 0%
  • ST.1. Everything that happens and exists is related to everything else - connected.

0 0%
  • ST. 2. Most things and events in the world are related to each other, some not.

0 0%
  • ST. 3. Everything is just as much connected with itself as it is disconnected.

0 0%
  • ST. 4. Most things and events in the world are unrelated to each other, with few connections.

0 0%
  • ST. 5. Everything that there exists/happens is unrelated to anything else - isolated.

0 0%
  • NF. 1. Everything that happens and exists is related to everything else - connected.

6 42.86%
  • NF. 2. Most things and events in the world are related to each other, some not.

0 0%
  • NF. 3. Everything is just as much connected with itself as it is disconnected.

0 0%
  • NF.4. Most things and events in the world are unrelated to each other, with few connections.

0 0%
  • NF. 5. Everything that there exists/happens is unrelated to anything else - isolated.

0 0%
  • NT. 1. Everything that happens and exists is related to everything else - connected.

4 28.57%
  • NT. 2. Most things and events in the world are related to each other, some not.

0 0%
  • NT.3. Everything is just as much connected with itself as it is disconnected.

4 28.57%
  • NT. 4. Most things and events in the world are unrelated to each other, with few connections.

0 0%
  • NT. 5. Everything that there exists/happens is unrelated to anything else - isolated.

0 0%
12 Last

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default Is everything connected to everything else in the universe? (Poll)

I'm examining this old idea of connectedness. The one that is characterized by statements like "everything is connected to everything", "everything influences everything else" and similar. "Cosmic whole" and things like that. I'll explain at length if this isn't a familiar idea.

The opposite view is represented by abundance of statements like "it doesn't have anything to do with it", "it's a whole different thing" and similar. It's the view where you expect lack of connections between everything. What person A does isn't related to B's activities. I'll explain this at length as well if it isn't a familiar concept.

Now what might any of this have to do with temperament? Respond at will.

Edit:
    I use the temperament grouping SF/ST/NF/NT here, and answers 1-5 on the scale of belief in connectedness:
    *1: Everything that happens and exists is related to everything else - connected.
    *2: Most things and events in the world are related to each other, some not.
    *3: Everything is just as much connected with itself as it is disconnected.
    *4: Most things and events in the world are unrelated to each other, with few connections.
    *5: Everything that there exists/happens is unrelated to anything else - isolated.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

NT.3. Everything is just as much connected with itself as it is disconnected.

Symphony of Science - 'We Are All Connected' (ft. Sagan, Feynman, deGrasse Tyson & Bill Nye)

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I relate most to #2, but I think it is important to see things as potentially being coincidence/synchronous. Physically our best science says that things which have mass and charge are universally connected by the gravitational and electromagnetic forces. Other things are less connected and some particles have one property but not both.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

What if I think that everything technically influences everything else, but that 99.999etc% of those influences are so incredibly tiny that they aren't meaningful?

Not completely sure I understand what you're saying with "connected", though.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ENTJ

I'm thinking that there's some commont elements between various things, like a 1kg rock and a 1kg toaster, or a 1kg rock and a one ton rock, but things don't mysteriously influence each other. It can be explained with science and the existence of random processes which sometimes give rise to explanations of connections.

Some things like natural laws govern many things, even though someone might not notice it. Likewise, same kinds of procedures done elsewhere in the world probably yield similar results, so noticing those connections between seemingly dissimilar things is a matter of education and domain-specific knowledge. I guess that if the domain-specific knowledge becomes too deep, one might adopt the world view 5.

But still, I'm between 2 and 3.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I vote for #3
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    What if I think that everything technically influences everything else, but that 99.999etc% of those influences are so incredibly tiny that they aren't meaningful?

Not completely sure I understand what you're saying with "connected", though.
    Are there other connections for you in the world than technical? By technical, do you mean things like gravity?

RaptorWizard's video is a fun example of what connectedness might feel to someone who loves the idea.

For some, "everything in System X is being connected and every part affects each other part"* is a way to describe frustration with X's complexity, or for others, awe. The assumption here being that it would be difficult or impossible to do anything useful with such a system if one studies each of it's parts in isolation. Also, some use it to imply the kind of complexity that makes all kinds of analysis impossible, apart from some "cosmic world view", "understanding of the whole" or something like that.

Everything is connected to everything else even if the connection is tenuous. They all have shared characteristics and dichotomies do not exist (every idea was conceived by a lifeform, everything tangible is comprised of atoms.) Everything is causual and correlation is always causation if enough pieces of data are recorded and compared (compared to justtwo types where the correlated data isn't the key influencer.)

Excuse any spelling or grammar errors. This mobile phone isn't confogured properly to allow me to see what I'm writing.

This double post is connected to the previous post because not only are they in a sequence but they were created at the same time with the identical string of text. This one was created by an error created either by the same mobile used to create the previous post or the same website which stored the new code. This one was the unexpected twin which rolled out of the womb just after the original one. It has now been given a heavy dose of plastic surgery and sent off to be adopted in another country. But despite its now radically different appearance it's still genetically related to its brethren.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Yes, by gravity.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro