User Tag List

123 Last

Default What is your interest in typology?

I'm curious.

Do you have practical uses for typology? Or are you more interested in the theory? Personal growth? Relationships? In addition, what drew you to this site initially? How has your view or usage of MBTI changed since then?

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I was foolish and got into typology for bland and superficial reasons.

I wanted it to help tell me about myself since I could not understand myself without any ability at analysis. But it cant and such a bad reason is the worst way to start.

I always subordinate my own understanding to others, that's why I struggle. I also wanted to know why I could never change who I was....why there seemed to be an inherency to my flaws that went beyond what I could understand.

I also contradict myself because on the one hand I want to be told but on the other I wont be told and I despise the system in some ways because it makes me feel like I cannot change what I am....and what I am ive never loved or liked.

Learning type is like being given a death sentence at the same time as a pardon from the king.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.
    Likes devaf liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

This is an interesting question. I would say that I got into typology because I'm a seeker... I'm always looking to better understand myself and those around me. I basically use MBTI as a tool to aid in understanding what makes people tick. It can help me understand why someone might react a certain way, feel a certain way, think a certain thing, and I think that helps me understand where that person is coming from and can often help their perspective make sense to me, or at least I can see how it would make sense to them, so this allows me to be less judgmental and dismissive of people who think differently from me. It's also helped me really become okay with who I am and my preferences-- I spent a lot of my life trying to "become" an extrovert, and it really never worked for me. MBTI helped me realize that we all have something to contribute-- different perspectives, ways at looking at things, etc-- and that being an introvert is no worse (or better) than being an extrovert. Likewise with all the other functions. Now I don't waste energy trying to be an extrovert, because that's never going to happen. Instead, I focus on making sure I allow myself to be an introvert, and make sure my needs as such are being met: I try not to overextend myself socially, and plan in "I time"; I try to identify what I need, as an introvert, to deal with things that might come more naturally for an extrovert, but which I still have to do; I am honest with people when I turn down social invitations because I need alone time or the particular activity, which is meant to be fun, would not be fun for me-- instead of making up and excuse, I do my best to just say "I need some alone time" or "I'd love to hang out with you, but this party isn't my thing and I'd rather spend time with you in a setting where we can really talk."

How has my opinion changed... I'm not sure. I've definitely learned a lot more about typology and how the different functions interact with each other. The more I learn, though, the more I think MBTI needs to be used as a lens with which to understand people, not a system of classification.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

WALMART

I honestly don't know why I'm so interested, because I literally never think about the implications.

To me, it is a puzzle to be solved - I see a giant ticking clock and I want to rip it apart until I know every last glimmer of potentiality.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I tend to be more interested in the theory than applying it in practice.

I use it mainly for personal growth. To a lesser extent, I use to it to better my relationships with others. The thing is, people are complex and the four letter code can only explain some things about a person.

I was drawn to this site to find other people who shared my interest in type, to gain more self-understanding and to seek clarification on my type.

I don't think my view of MBTI has changed much since I joined the forum 2.5 years ago.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Understanding others gives me practical advantages in life with respect to relationships and at work. Type is a framework that helps me to do that. I've also used these things to understand myself better which has led to personal development and growth. Historically, I've used MBTI but over the past year or two, I have started using Enneagram much more extensively. Since joining the forum and through some personal study, I've gotten a lot better at identifying people's type. Prior to that, I was guessing a lot and frequently wrong. I'd also say since joining the forum, it's become more of an intellectual exercise. I enjoy learning about it because it's fun even if I don't realize immediate practical value. Overall if I reflect back on it, I've gotten immense value out of this stuff.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    This is an interesting question. I would say that I got into typology because I'm a seeker... I'm always looking to better understand myself and those around me. I basically use MBTI as a tool to aid in understanding what makes people tick. It can help me understand why someone might react a certain way, feel a certain way, think a certain thing, and I think that helps me understand where that person is coming from and can often help their perspective make sense to me, or at least I can see how it would make sense to them, so this allows me to be less judgmental and dismissive of people who think differently from me.
    this.

but for me, instead of being ok with my preferences, it has shown me the direction in which to grow towards and i have succeeded in it pretty well, at least considering my age and how people typically develop their tert and inferior. not that i think that i am ready now, on the contrary, i have understood(not really from typology, but more from jungs other stuff) that its a life long journey and i dont need to be 'ready', i just need to be in the correct path. i have always been driven towards balance, before i thought that the balance was about being emotionally stable(which pretty much meant, that i need to disregard feelings), but learning about typology, i have noticed that its about the balance between T and F, N and S and I and E.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

@Aquarelle summed it up pretty well for me.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I liked the four-way symmetry of I/E and people/task, and it is really practical in explaining interaction with people. Then, the functions and archetypes were a deeper level of this, which are also symmetrical, and explain even more about us.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Typology interests me since I love to compare myself against other people, as well as seeing all the different diverse little ways in which different people see and perceive things.

It's also a great tool for manipulation, since if you know what sets other types off, or what appeases them, you can use those little kinks in the wheelwork of their minds to your advantage.

I suppose that isn't really that ethical though. Still, manipulating and persuading people I find to be far more eithical than outright dominating and controlling people, even against their will.

After all, if a person changes their mind under your own influence, even though you were the catalyst in the operation, the other person also chose to be operated on so, from a certain point of view, the basic law of justice is prevailing, that being the advantage of the stronger who, under a simple society rule, while the weak serve.

Really though, I would avocate a philosophy where all people are valued and appreciated for their contributions and accomplishments, as we freely share our abilities amongst all.