• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI Type and Social Media

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought this was pretty interesting.

type_socmedia_infographic.jpg

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting stuff.

First blush reaction: why is Twitter so popular with ESTJs?

A

Anew Leaf

I completely do not understand twitter at all. It was only a few weeks ago that I realized (sort of) what all of this hashtag business is all about... and even then I don't really get what it's for other than it's really funny to watch tv with someone ( [MENTION=6465]thealchemist[/MENTION] ) and do it to moments from the show.

Oh right, the point of this thread. Interesting information, Highlander. :) I don't do much with my Facebook account other than post random stories about something dumb I did or music I like.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Interesting stuff.....

I use Facebook mainly to keep contact with my family. I got a lot of HS friends and work friends too (I have linked-in, but just having the work related stuff is boring).
I think it's the best way to keep in touch with the ever growing network of people you meet in life. I love the fact my Iphone syncs facebook with my contacts- i can just go look up a person there instead of the actual app.

It does take some of the fun out of reunions and meet ups, though. You already know the big things going on with people going in any kind of reunion or get together so it kills some of the thrill factor.

I hate Twitter.

N

NPcomplete

I completely do not understand twitter at all. It was only a few weeks ago that I realized (sort of) what all of this hashtag business is all about... and even then I don't really get what it's for other than it's really funny to watch tv with someone ( [MENTION=6465]thealchemist[/MENTION] ) and do it to moments from the show.

Oh right, the point of this thread. Interesting information, Highlander. :) I don't do much with my Facebook account other than post random stories about something dumb I did or music I like.

I'm not sure either but our parody version of it is more fun. :laugh:

The comparisons between users of each platform, the likelihoods of accurate typings, the activities..

#interestingbrainfood.

Nicki

Retired
I use twitter occasionally and I check Facebook every day and make a status around once a week. I also use Tumblr daily. I find twitter rather confusing and overrated though.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I completely do not understand twitter at all.

Same here. Maybe there is something we are not comprehending because there must be some point to it.

I keep all my business contacts (800 people) on LinkedIn. It is sort of like the old rolodex. There are a few work people who I am connected to on Facebook but not many. Mostly it is old classmates, relatives and people I worked with in the past. For the most part, I use Facebook to share photos. I check it once a day and am generally on for 5 or 10 minutes max.

A

Anew Leaf

Same here. Maybe there is something we are not comprehending because there must be some point to it.

I keep all my business contacts (800 people) on LinkedIn. It is sort of like the old rolodex. There are a few work people who I am connected to on Facebook but not many. Mostly it is old classmates, relatives and people I worked with in the past. For the most part, I use Facebook to share photos. I check it once a day and am generally on for 5 or 10 minutes max.

@bold, I am not sure we can make this conjecture based on the logic of "if it exists there must be a reason for it" since all we have to do is look at "Jersey Shore". ;)

This thread is making me think I need to have a LinkedIn account, but I am not sure I can deal with any more websites. Between here and reading my daily comics, I am getting tapped out.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
@bold, I am not sure we can make this conjecture based on the logic of "if it exists there must be a reason for it" since all we have to do is look at "Jersey Shore". ;)

jersey shore is very educational if you watch it the right way. anthropological field study.

G

garbage

Looks like extroverts need to stop using the Internet, get out of the house, and talk to real people more.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I only have about 60 or so family and a small handful of friends on facebook and even with that I have a list of maybe about 20-30 people on a list that actually see what I post.

The extent of my facebook knowledge is locking down my posts, posting stuff(pics/videos) from my phone(it has a share on facebook button), and playing games.

I keep getting invites for linked in from ex co-workers that I ignore. I dont twit, nor do I follow anyone elses twit. I am not that interested in most peoples lives, only a very small...extremely small...handful of people.

NathanZ

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I currently have about 65 friends on FB, although I've had over 300 at one point. I just got tired of reading about people I don't have anything in common with anymore. I find it much more useful with a smaller friend list, and spend a good amount of time there because of it.

Twitter is fun, but hard to cut through the noise. I've often described it as 250,000 people yelling 'Look at me!' as loud as they can, all the time. Hashtagging helps a bit.

Funnily enough, I have the most connections on LinkedIn, but use it the least. Kind of find it boring.

I do Social Media for the company I work for, and it's kind of cool to be the chipper corporate voice by day and a nasty curmudgeon by night.

Great infographic. Thanks for posting!

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Funnily enough, I have the most connections on LinkedIn, but use it the least. Kind of find it boring.

You don't really have to use it much at all though. I just use it to keep up with people I've worked with so that I don't lose track of them. There is some sort of weekly digest that I look at occasionally to see where people have moved and maybe congratulate them on a new job. I also use it to look up somebody's background - like a client that I'm starting to work with - to get a sense as to who they are. Finally, this is pretty worthless but I keep up with who has been looking at my profile.

NathanZ

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
You don't really have to use it much at all though. I just use it to keep up with people I've worked with so that I don't lose track of them. There is some sort of weekly digest that I look at occasionally to see where people have moved and maybe congratulate them on a new job. I also use it to look up somebody's background - like a client that I'm starting to work with - to get a sense as to who they are. Finally, this is pretty worthless but I keep up with who has been looking at my profile.

I hear you: Those are all good functions. Most of my LinkedIn connections are within my industry, but I've never interacted with them personally. And I know I'm missing out by avoiding the Groups function, too. Maybe I'm using it just enough then. :)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I deactivated my facebook account because it's nobody's business what I'm up to :thelook:

the same applies to other forms of social media... I'm not sharing the details of my day to day life because that's just plain boring and nobody needs to be inundated with that... plus, it's none of their damned business what I'm up to as well... a person's got to have SOME privacy :2ar15:

the man has less than 70 friends on facebook and seems to primarily use it to communicate with his aunts... he stalks howie mandel and jim irsay on twitter and that's it

my sis is a social media whore who spends a good portion of her time on facebook either stalking people or commenting on every aspect of her life and posting pictures of every meal she eats and such... I do not understand this :unsure:

Omission1234

its interesting, I only have facebook because my friends after 2 years were upset with me. They kept forgetting to invite me to parties because I wasn't on facebook. It is true and sad. Same reason why I now have a cell, I use it just to call people mainly and sometimes texting ( Im bad at checking it all the time. I have tumblr and it is very addictive. I'll have to cut down on my internet after christmas. But yeah do not have twitter.. I want to reject technology some days, I keep thinking about how much more productive I'd be and all the music and writing/ reading I'd have completed. Or new hobbies I could start. Till then facebook world, cell phone texts and tumblr remain. :doh:

G

garbage

There's also this. I haven't delved into it, but it seems that it's either different information or a different way of presenting the same information--might be of interest.
Also: Look at LinkedIn. Look at the percentage of ENTJs who use it, compared to the rest of the types. :popc1:

What, no Tumblr? :/
In dichotomy terms, I'd guess that Perceivers dominate Tumblr--given this infographic's own definition of Perceiving--whether for sharing art/photos or for sharing crazy, random shit.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's also this. I haven't delved into it, but it seems that it's either different information or a different way of presenting the same information--might be of interest.

It's the same information