• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do people try to seem iNtuitive online?

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
I think this forum is ok, there are some other MBTI forums where this is very common, though I suppose this could happen here as well. In any case, do you think that some people on having put their type as xNxx, try to "earn" the title in each of their posts?

Vote away.

Edit: don't vote because this f****** thing froze while loading, so so the screen upon which the poll was due to be added, could never be reached. Upon exiting the never-loading screen, I was confronted with this monstrosity of a post.

love-fail.jpg

W

WALMART

I wonder of this.

If the sensor to intuit ratio is 3:1, why is that not indicative in online statistics? I think most would theorize sensors are not interested in such a subjective science, instead opting for lolcat videos.

I think people prefer to type themselves intuitive because common descriptions boil down to 'you value your thoughts' vs 'you prefer external confirmation of facts'. It is blatant most would choose the former when in reality preferring the latter.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I wonder of this.

If the sensor to intuit ratio is 3:1, why is that not indicative in online statistics? I think most would theorize sensors are not interested in such a subjective science, instead opting for lolcat videos.

I think people prefer to type themselves intuitive because common descriptions boil down to 'you value your thoughts' vs 'you prefer external confirmation of facts'. It is blatant most would choose the former when in reality preferring the latter.

Lets not forget the obvious point about intelligence either.

[MENTION=16748]Il Morto Che Parla[/MENTION]

This is something ive often thought about, especially in relation to myself. Mainly because I only want to put forth what I see, but the problem is that: Is there a subtle influence to embellish what I see so as to live up to an ideal?

I wonder if I am guilty of it or not. Probably both at the same time, although ive long since past any stage of wanting to appear anything but what I could loosely call my inherency of mind.

lauranna

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If people try to fake it as intuitives, I think that is pretty sad. I can't personally see any self respecting SP pretending to be an N. We are too busy having fun...

Standuble

How does one fake seeming N exactly? If you mean they lie about how they live their life so their lives seem more in line with more stereotypically N lives (e.g. "ZOMG I live inside teh head!" "ZOMG I think aboot philosophy liek all the time rofl!" "ZOMG I drew a picture lol i'm a creativ N lolol" etc.) then that doesn't count (not saying the above examples are anything other than caricatures and that any sensors sound like that.) Is there a stereotypical way for N's to live their lives? Lifestyles which individuals N's and S's can vary greatly from the next. IMO N cannot be faked or it would certainly be difficult to do so. Sensor types would not work their way through online in the same way as N's would, e.g. their forum posts would not be engineered towards being connected as one body to the same degree an N's would. They would focus much more on the individual points mentioned in a post than it as one whole. If that makes sense.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
How does one fake seeming N exactly? If you mean they lie about how they live their life so their lives seem more in line with more stereotypically N lives (e.g. "ZOMG I live inside teh head!" "ZOMG I think aboot philosophy liek all the time rofl!" "ZOMG I drew a picture lol i'm a creativ N lolol" etc.) then that doesn't count (not saying the above examples are anything other than caricatures and that any sensors sound like that.) Is there a stereotypical way for N's to live their lives? Lifestyles which individuals N's and S's can vary greatly from the next. IMO N cannot be faked or it would certainly be difficult to do so. Sensor types would not work their way through online in the same way as N's would, e.g. their forum posts would not be engineered towards being connected as one body to the same degree an N's would. They would focus much more on the individual points mentioned in a post than it as one whole. If that makes sense.

Everything you say is true, but you are not seeing the forest for the trees.

We all know that the common perception of iNtuitives is as intellectual, abstract, uninterested in banalities.

Obviously life does not live up to stereotypes, I am talking about people trying to live up to stereotypes mistakenly.

Finally, and this goes for [MENTION=15886]jontherobot[/MENTION] and [MENTION=5111]lauranna[/MENTION] as well: I didn't exactly say people fake being N's, I said they may try to seem more iNtuitive.

I am pretty sure I am iNtuitive, but I don't really try to sound like a genius with each post (though it comes naturally).

But if I DID try to quote Einstein at you in every post, then I would be TRYING to sound like one. Regardless of the fact that a.) that I am one, and b.) that isn't what one really sounds like.

Standuble

Everything you say is true, but you are not seeing the forest for the trees.

We all know that the common perception of iNtuitives is as intellectual, abstract, uninterested in banalities.

Obviously life does not live up to stereotypes, I am talking about people trying to live up to stereotypes mistakenly.

Oh I see. I'm uncertain how to answer your response without mentioning my previous points (and without sounding like an idiot.) I hope this one is a better answer. Yes I do think people try and live up to the stereotypes mentioned but for reasons unrelated to the MBTI. Deep down most people do not want to be considered stupid: being "intellectual, abstract, uninterested in banalities" have come to be associated with higher intelligence in society. "Creative and imaginative" too are also admired. They want to create an illusion (they do this partially consciously and partially unconsciously) that they are all the above in the hope that it would be realised in reality and become true. I admit I too do this to a degree (make myself seem more intelligent than I am) even though I truly believe myself N (from years of cognitive function theory study.)

The problem is that whilst the N is more associated with these coveted traits than S types they aren't synonymous with being N. Are people trying to seem more N online or just smarter to quell their own insecurities?

Hope this answer was better.

Bilateral Entry

Internet User
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Sometimes I pull off sick sick reads. Like I can hear/read a little bit (as little as 1 sentence) of what someone's saying about their lives/feelings/experiences/beliefs and I know dead-on exactly where they're at and what they need. I feel like I deserve a parade when that happens. I'm INTJ. I'm not supposed to be able to do that :D And then I try to do it again. And again. But it's hit and miss :D

I actually have seen some feeler types insist that they have pretty strong Ti/Te skillz. But then I look at their reasoning patterns and they tend to verbalize things that are so obvious to me that I wouldn't imagine they even need to be verbalized, and they think that's "really good use of logic". Faaaccee-paaalllmm. Y u no see u sux?

Bilateral Entry

Internet User
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh I see. I'm uncertain how to answer your response without mentioning my previous points (and without sounding like an idiot.) I hope this one is a better answer. Yes I do think people try and live up to the stereotypes mentioned but for reasons unrelated to the MBTI. Deep down most people do not want to be considered stupid: being "intellectual, abstract, uninterested in banalities" have come to be associated with higher intelligence in society. "Creative and imaginative" too are also admired. They want to create an illusion (they do this partially consciously and partially unconsciously) that they are all the above in the hope that it would be realised in reality and become true. I admit I too do this to a degree (make myself seem more intelligent than I am) even though I truly believe myself N (from years of cognitive function theory study.)

The problem is that whilst the N is more associated with these coveted traits than S types they aren't synonymous with being N. Are people trying to seem more N online or just smarter to quell their own insecurities?

Hope this answer was better.
I always think to myself that if I cared to be good at something, then I would put the effort in to be good at it. Like, I could be outgoing and not sit in front of a computer screen all day long. And sometimes I will actually go out and socialize a lot. But then I realized that I don't really like doing that. I'd rather type responses to people in text on the internets. Like such, like such. I could be really athletic, and have good physical sensing skillz (which I do not), but I only blame myself for not putting in the time to do that, therefore not being good at it. It's all in my hands, and I only have myself to blame or credit. I'm much better with feelings now, myself and others', because I work hard at it. I can't draw worth a shit, but some people are really good at it, but it's my own fault I don't put the time in to learn and practice.

I never feel the need to pretend to be another type, because I can actually be more like them anytime I want, given that I'm willing to invest the time and energy in developing myself in that direction. Don't get me wrong, I would never give up my wonderful INTJ talents, but I seriously admire sensors who can do things I will never be able to do, to the level that they can do it. I'll never beat them in video games. Sure, I can practice really hard and become pretty darn good, but some super sensor who works just as hard is still going to slap me silly. Same thing with athletics. Same thing with style, and design. Same thing with physical sensing. If you're a sensor, and you have an extremely acute awareness of your physical surroundings at all times, know that most people aren't like that. Imagine having all your senses dulled by like a half. Welcome to my world. I can't really even enjoy the beauty of nature. It kinda goes right over my head. I can't sing or dance as well as them. I can't think as fast, or react as quickly. So I seriously admire a lot of the things that sensors can do that I can't, and won't ever be able to at their level.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I think most just strive to sound intelligent, let alone intuitive.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yes I do it because I don't want strangers on an internet forum to think I'm intellectually inferior to them. that would be terrible :(

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

Yeah this is pretty much the main motivation on internet forums in general. Without the ability to fall back on physical prowess and social structure tactics, (at least not until they have ingratiated themselves within the social structure), many people probably find themselves developing a side they may or may not have given effort towards in their normal day to day lives.

So many people end up with real life vs internet persona's.

Ironically im doing something like that right now. Certainly if I go back to ancient forums past and check out archived posts of mine I find myself cringing at the young idiot that wrote them.

Nicki

Retired
If they're socially inept, they want to at least seem intelligent.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
yes I do it because I don't want strangers on an internet forum to think I'm intellectually inferior to them. that would be terrible :(

people do think like that, my point is to say it's stupid. Don't shoot the messenger

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

And if the dominant belief is that N is more intelligent, then people will try to sound N.

The irony being that the more intelligent ones know better.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

And if the dominant belief is that N is more intelligent, then people will try to sound N.

I think that pertains more specifically to typology websites. For the general population on the internet, I would say most don't know about "intuition".

I suppose the OP is talking about this forum, in that case, yes, I do believe it happens here.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
i believe there are people who are not sure what their type might be. are they trying to pass themselves off as intutive? i don`t know, don`t care. i m not gonig to place too much stock in mbti. i think i enjoy it, mainly because there are many interesting people who like talking about it..

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think that pertains more specifically to typology websites. For the general population on the internet, I would say most don't know about "intuition".

I suppose the OP is talking about this forum, in that case, yes, I do believe it happens here.

Oh yes. Just general social commentary on my part. Whatever is regarded as "better", people will try to appear to be.

meow175

Oh really interesting thread! Hope you don't mind my loads of comments that will follow, put in a pretty sarcastic style. ;P My main point is about dissecting irrelevant weak non-causal correlations and about how I don't think the question as put in the thread is even valid.

I wonder of this.

Neat typism about science vs lolcat videos... sorry but that's just that.

No, I actually prefer the latter and I never had a doubt about that. I suppose this is mostly an Introversion vs Extraversion issue though. No?

If people try to fake it as intuitives, I think that is pretty sad. I can't personally see any self respecting SP pretending to be an N. We are too busy having fun...

Well if some SP likes N things, that has nothing to do with pretending or with self respect. Any type can be busy having fun.

I thought drawing was more an S skill, huh...

Also that about focusing on a post as a whole vs focusing on individual points... I can do both. Depends on my mood. Though I do like to see the whole when I feel it's relevant. Not so much type related.

Praytell why would anyone *want* to look a weird geek? Okay some people might. Sure. I'm going to elaborate on that a few lines below.

I am pretty sure I am iNtuitive, but I don't really try to sound like a genius with each post (though it comes naturally).

But if I DID try to quote Einstein at you in every post, then I would be TRYING to sound like one. Regardless of the fact that a.) that I am one, and b.) that isn't what one really sounds like.

You don't sound like a genius in every each post of yours. Hope that was just meant as a joke.

So far, you just sound like the average poster pretty much. (No, there is no need to connect this observation of mine to what you think about me after reading this.)

On a slightly related note... Seriously all the "philosophy" stuff I see on forums by people self-typing as N's is all the same regurgitated stuff. If you want to make some special theory or other special stuff, get deep into science or real creative arts or something like that, not forgetting about high standards. If you're already doing that as a genius, then great.

Deep down most people do not want to be considered stupid: being "intellectual, abstract, uninterested in banalities" have come to be associated with higher intelligence in society. "Creative and imaginative" too are also admired.

Huh. What does "abstract" even mean? Someone who's truly in their mind a LOT being very abstract can have a bit of trouble handling some physical things and will thus unfortunately be seen as clumsy and weird by some people. (No, I don't really agree with this practice.)

"Intellectual", fine. But see more about that below.

"Uninterested in banalities", fine as long as you don't "mix" with the people who are actually able to enjoy such "banalities". (There is a reason as to why I put the "mix" word in quotes.) Unrelated or not, I've just seen some ENFJ's post about how it's stupid to base a relationship on simple physical things because those things *including* sex are "mundane" (quoting the exact word used). No seriously, do certain people actually look down on basic needs that have a deep evolutionary base? o_O

"Creative", oh, what's the point of purposeless creativity unless it's done with really high standards? Oh yes, it's admired in humour as wittiness. That's about it. Btw, I once did an experiment with people for a research paper to show there is more to the idea of creativity than what the stupid creativity tests attempt to measure.

"Imaginative", the same applies.

Really how about we drop the "N" concept and just goto take IQ tests instead? Sure that's going to be harder to pass with flying colours than an MBTI test.

They want to create an illusion (they do this partially consciously and partially unconsciously) that they are all the above in the hope that it would be realised in reality and become true. I admit I too do this to a degree (make myself seem more intelligent than I am) even though I truly believe myself N (from years of cognitive function theory study.)

Wahahah. N type is really about being theorising all day making weird associations, being clumsy, appearing weird, out of place; how's that so "all above" other people in society? That's how the average N is seen by the average person. Also the average person is often annoyed by someone displaying too much intelligence unless done in a very tactful way. Intelligence on its own isn't very conducive to social appreciation without some basic social skills or without actual big achievements.

So, why would anyone want to be N who isn't actually N? Sounds like to me that it's more the N's that may be having insecurities and being attached to the idea of being N. That's fine, everyone needs to feel they are worth something, and as long as this idea is based on reality it's OK, IMO.

Otoh, how do you convince yourself that your imagination becomes reality without you doing fuck all to put your dreams into reality? You said something like that too. I'd recommend you or anyone avoid deluding yourself about this. o_O

Sometimes I pull off sick sick reads. Like I can hear/read a little bit (as little as 1 sentence) of what someone's saying about their lives/feelings/experiences/beliefs and I know dead-on exactly where they're at and what they need. I feel like I deserve a parade when that happens. I'm INTJ. I'm not supposed to be able to do that :D And then I try to do it again. And again. But it's hit and miss :D

Just curious, do those people thank you later for helping them out in just the right way using your insights?

I can't draw worth a shit, but some people are really good at it, but it's my own fault I don't put the time in to learn and practice.

Well tbh, if you have no goal with it (not even enjoyment as a goal), then don't blame yourself.

Hah. Fuck those strangers & Fuck typism! :) Feel free to put your actual "type" in your profile if you haven't yet.

Yeah how about starting a thread about how N sucks: inadept at the things of the world, missing simple things, overanalysing simple things, useless generation of random "creative" but irrealistic ideas...... and so on.

Yeah that's not the N of really smart people of course because those actually produce creativity that match high standards. The same may be said of the S of really smart people. My point is that smartness and N/S don't really correlate much.

i believe there are people who are not sure what their type might be. are they trying to pass themselves off as intutive? i don`t know, don`t care. i m not gonig to place too much stock in mbti. i think i enjoy it, mainly because there are many interesting people who like talking about it..

The first intelligent post in this thread. Ha.