• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do people try to seem iNtuitive online?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Forumers publicly switch instinctual stackings based on sexual activity more often than mbti types.

In other words, which is more valued in society: sexual reputation or creative ability.

Moreover, sensors.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
the intellectual vibe is not the same thing as intelligence.

and ej types often have strong linguistic intelligence. they're kind of inherently managerial because they identify with organizational goals so strongly (which is why they piss ip types off so much). ij types are weird database machines. ip types are rigorous experience testers. ep types are the most responsive, adaptive social performers.

you don't get to be good at everything. and if you focus on what you're not good at, and really focus on how you are not able to be perfect for others, you'll be in for a lot of disappointment. conversely, if you don't give a shit at all, huge demographics of people won't like you, because you won't even be trying to meet them halfway. this is the most basic typological realization possible. but it's hard.

also, this thread is kind of an stp fest. so for a positive stp comment, i've had some excellent coaches who were estps. i didn't always like them. i didn't always agree with how they did things. but they worked with their own skillset in a very pragmatic way, were willing to make adjustments, were excellent motivators, and did such a damn good job it made me realize my way wasn't the only way. similarly when i go to yoga classes with stp teachers, i'm at first put off. but then midway through, i stop focusing on the meaning of their words and just accept the good part, the challenge they offer me. and afterwards, i realize their sequencing is often truly great, and their awareness of what it's like within each movement really do cue up helpful places to begin that aren't quite as contextual and so don't just evaporate after class. it's okay to start from the body or the mind. and that we all specialize in one of these three centers, or specialize in specific chakras, and utilize our cognitive specializations differently in terms of how we interface with those registries of our mind-body system, well it creates a lot of variance and a lot of different types of experience, different paths, different chemistries in social groups.

that status will be determined by the preferences of the group is a scary thought if you want an absolute value. but you don't get one in this world. and the more you try to establish and maintain one, the more crazy you become. see: the 20th century.

also, no matter what, slowing down your tendencies and creating more space within your habituated patterns to notice in new ways is always good. monks do this to reach enlightenment. which is never one size fits all. this might mean reading something over and over again that might not at first make sense. like zen koans. maybe the world is not as self-evident as it seems.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Imo people can all try to seem black on the internet, what would I care about what people do ?!

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think there are people who try to seem like a genius on every single post but I also think for others it's a form of self expression. I know in my case I have no filter on the internet. In real life I try not to talk like I do online because I don't want people to see just how weird I am lol. I am able to unleash all my quirky tenancies here . I'm introverted so I can't do that in real situations but here I don't have to censor my tangents. I think that's also a possibility

G

Glycerine

Yes. There is really nothing special about being a N anyways.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Forumers publicly switch instinctual stackings based on sexual activity more often than mbti types.

In other words, which is more valued in society: sexual reputation or creative ability.

Moreover, sensors.

Interesting observation. Although on a personal level ive always despised sexual reputation....which is a waste of time. However I am amazed by creative ability.

Of course I may not be in the majority here.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
1, certain people who happen to have a N in their type get super defensive of keeping that letter in there, and go to the extent of censoring themselves to make sure nothing "sensory" slips through.

(Pro tip: we are all both sensors and intuitives to some effect)

2, and this includes a common reason for 1 too, there's a herding effect to be the idea of intuition that the group puts forth. And this idea tends to be very very warped, ending up with people just acting exaggerately intellectual, or intelligent, or abstract, or creative, or _______.

(Pro tip: abstract has more to to with introversion than intuiton, and one of the ditziest people you have ever met was probably N-dom)

Lark

I think most just strive to sound intelligent, let alone intuitive.

I definitely believe that, I think its the norm online and especially on forums. Its unconscious a lot of the time but I'm left feeling that its like the groupsicles I experienced growing up in my teens of fan boys and fan girls who boasted of special knowledge or greater knowledge all the time, when really, if they possessed any at all and it was mostly a contrived game of bluff and double bluff, it was niche knowledge which I dont think is especially something to boast about.

Although given the descriptions of functions and types I actually think sensors are rarer than is supposed, definitely rarer than is supposed on this forum presently, I know that I dont pay attention to fine details, if I take a walk and come back and take a note book to list the things I've seen and thought about unless I've done it deliberately I wont be able to recall the fine details, its not second nature to do so.

Training and the roles people play, such a work, can influence this, like if you're used to making records of a precise and concise nature or if you are used to contact with people who require those sorts of things in communication then it can give the impression of sensing rather than the thing itself. There is also the fact that descriptiveness or artistry in sentence construction is confused with sensing, when really its descriptiveness and artistry in sentence construction, that's it. Otherwise every successful (or at least popular) novelist is a big sensor and not simply calling upon imaginative prowess.

I actually think that the text based nature of most online communication appeals to Ns more than other types. I know that's cliched and likely to be prone to reductive interpretations, like all Extroverts are offline having parties and social gatherings and any Extrovert online is not a true Extrovert but I think there's an element of truth about Ns online. Before the internet I think they would have been involved in correspondence or writing of some kind.

meow175

People don't want to realize that they are average.

well the idea about skills was not related to that.

ok...yes it was a joke...I thought that would be obvious...I hate having to explain jokes because it kills any small amount of humor still present.

No need to explain, enough to say that it was a joke.

Where did anyone say that? :unsure:Quote please!

Perhaps my wording wasn't too accurate. What I meant was, this thread is about how great N pref is considered and whether people do try to pretend to be N's.

Maybe English is not your first language...but you can still speak English well...and therefore should be able to do comprehension...and not imagine that I said things I never said, and would never say.

I did not imagine anything. Hope the above correction about my wording will help.

Here is my point: you tried to be sarcastic and to "correct" everyone...but you completely misunderstood the thread...and everyone else understood.

You're wrong about this one.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

well the idea about skills was not related to that.

Should I have put it this way:

People don't want to realize they have to actually work to succeed?

I mean it is about N pref as you have said and because people don't necessarily see intelligence as something everyone is born with and people generally have this idea that the intuitive will be smarter, then if it is in-born everyone who wasn't is average in the way that most people believe counts.

You might not have meant it as such, but it isn't such a huge leap to get to my conclusion.

meow175

Should I have put it this way:

People don't want to realize they have to actually work to succeed?

I mean it is about N pref as you have said and because people don't necessarily see intelligence as something everyone is born with and people generally have this idea that the intuitive will be smarter, then if it is in-born everyone who wasn't is average in the way that most people believe counts.

You might not have meant it as such, but it isn't such a huge leap to get to my conclusion.

Ah, I see what you mean. True I didn't think of that aspect of the skill based view. Also... I did mention that they can be improved on :) Not sure why some people as you say don't want to realise this. *shrug*

As for the intelligence topic specifically, I read about half of it comes from genes, other half from practice ;) (some of it also from early development, etc.) Truly not so much to do with the N/S thing :)

G

Glycerine

After awhile, it all seems arbitrary but yes. Who's the most N on the forum?

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If the sensor to intuit ratio is 3:1, why is that not indicative in online statistics? I think most would theorize sensors are not interested in such a subjective science, instead opting for lolcat videos.

See, I don't think people really mean all of online when they say online........ of course most people are online. My friends who took the test on that one app on facebook were about 2/3 sensing (and furthermore these people certainly don't fake as intuitive in their status updates). But somehow there doesn't appear to be 2/3 or 3/4 or whatever chatting about an unproveable concept on some random forum..... I wonder why that is ;)

I think people prefer to type themselves intuitive because common descriptions boil down to 'you value your thoughts' vs 'you prefer external confirmation of facts'. It is blatant most would choose the former when in reality preferring the latter.

The irony is this is much closer to getting at the I/E difference.

Those who can't walk without running into a wall. Hint: Look for bruises.

Oh goodness, let the bruise showing off party begin in 3, 2, 1....

G

Glycerine

Those who can't walk without running into a wall. Hint: Look for bruises.

true true. :laugh: I meant to put a ";)" in my post. I guess that means I am a fairly strong N. :happy2:

To be honest, I find most "N" discussions to be pointless and more like a pissing contest to see who is more enlightened. lol