User Tag List

First 456

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by momental View Post
    I think most just strive to sound intelligent, let alone intuitive.
    I definitely believe that, I think its the norm online and especially on forums. Its unconscious a lot of the time but I'm left feeling that its like the groupsicles I experienced growing up in my teens of fan boys and fan girls who boasted of special knowledge or greater knowledge all the time, when really, if they possessed any at all and it was mostly a contrived game of bluff and double bluff, it was niche knowledge which I dont think is especially something to boast about.

Although given the descriptions of functions and types I actually think sensors are rarer than is supposed, definitely rarer than is supposed on this forum presently, I know that I dont pay attention to fine details, if I take a walk and come back and take a note book to list the things I've seen and thought about unless I've done it deliberately I wont be able to recall the fine details, its not second nature to do so.

Training and the roles people play, such a work, can influence this, like if you're used to making records of a precise and concise nature or if you are used to contact with people who require those sorts of things in communication then it can give the impression of sensing rather than the thing itself. There is also the fact that descriptiveness or artistry in sentence construction is confused with sensing, when really its descriptiveness and artistry in sentence construction, that's it. Otherwise every successful (or at least popular) novelist is a big sensor and not simply calling upon imaginative prowess.

I actually think that the text based nature of most online communication appeals to Ns more than other types. I know that's cliched and likely to be prone to reductive interpretations, like all Extroverts are offline having parties and social gatherings and any Extrovert online is not a true Extrovert but I think there's an element of truth about Ns online. Before the internet I think they would have been involved in correspondence or writing of some kind.

People don't want to realize that they are average.
    well the idea about skills was not related to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    ok...yes it was a joke...I thought that would be obvious...I hate having to explain jokes because it kills any small amount of humor still present.
    No need to explain, enough to say that it was a joke.

Where did anyone say that? Quote please!
    Perhaps my wording wasn't too accurate. What I meant was, this thread is about how great N pref is considered and whether people do try to pretend to be N's.

Maybe English is not your first language...but you can still speak English well...and therefore should be able to do comprehension...and not imagine that I said things I never said, and would never say.
    I did not imagine anything. Hope the above correction about my wording will help.

Here is my point: you tried to be sarcastic and to "correct" everyone...but you completely misunderstood the thread...and everyone else understood.
    You're wrong about this one.

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by meow175 View Post
    well the idea about skills was not related to that.
    Should I have put it this way:

People don't want to realize they have to actually work to succeed?

I mean it is about N pref as you have said and because people don't necessarily see intelligence as something everyone is born with and people generally have this idea that the intuitive will be smarter, then if it is in-born everyone who wasn't is average in the way that most people believe counts.

You might not have meant it as such, but it isn't such a huge leap to get to my conclusion.

Should I have put it this way:

People don't want to realize they have to actually work to succeed?

I mean it is about N pref as you have said and because people don't necessarily see intelligence as something everyone is born with and people generally have this idea that the intuitive will be smarter, then if it is in-born everyone who wasn't is average in the way that most people believe counts.

You might not have meant it as such, but it isn't such a huge leap to get to my conclusion.
    Ah, I see what you mean. True I didn't think of that aspect of the skill based view. Also... I did mention that they can be improved on Not sure why some people as you say don't want to realise this. *shrug*

As for the intelligence topic specifically, I read about half of it comes from genes, other half from practice (some of it also from early development, etc.) Truly not so much to do with the N/S thing

Glycerine

After awhile, it all seems arbitrary but yes. Who's the most N on the forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    Who's the most N on the forum?
    Those who can't walk without running into a wall. Hint: Look for bruises.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    If the sensor to intuit ratio is 3:1, why is that not indicative in online statistics? I think most would theorize sensors are not interested in such a subjective science, instead opting for lolcat videos.
    See, I don't think people really mean all of online when they say online........ of course most people are online. My friends who took the test on that one app on facebook were about 2/3 sensing (and furthermore these people certainly don't fake as intuitive in their status updates). But somehow there doesn't appear to be 2/3 or 3/4 or whatever chatting about an unproveable concept on some random forum..... I wonder why that is

I think people prefer to type themselves intuitive because common descriptions boil down to 'you value your thoughts' vs 'you prefer external confirmation of facts'. It is blatant most would choose the former when in reality preferring the latter.
    The irony is this is much closer to getting at the I/E difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Oh goodness, let the bruise showing off party begin in 3, 2, 1....

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    true true. I meant to put a "" in my post. I guess that means I am a fairly strong N.

To be honest, I find most "N" discussions to be pointless and more like a pissing contest to see who is more enlightened. lol

Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Bilateral Entry View Post
    I can't really even enjoy the beauty of nature [as much as a sensor]
    How do you know?