123 Last

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Default Ni Doms/Auxs! Do interruptions irk the heck out of you?

"Ni and Se have a suppressive relationship. Ni causes the person to withdraw from the active sensual environment in order to work effectively. The slightest nudge, impulse noise, or visual flash can knock a person completely out of Ni and derail their train of thought. Because of this, Ni dominants can’t stand being interrupted, and prefer to surround themselves with only the most pleasant of sensations."

This is a quote from this site: http://intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=6582

Do people that are Ni Dom/Aux despise interruptions?

If so, how do you deal with this or handle them?

I'm asking, because I need to improve on not letting them compromise the quality of my work. Also I would like to know if this really is something that plagues an Ni dom, and if they agree with the quote above.
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I suppose I agree with it if I'm in the middle of something. I usually make a point of doing things that require my focus while I won't get interrupted. If I anticipate the interruption, then it isn't agitating because I don't let my mind wander or get very deep in thought. But if I'm focused on something then yes, I really, really hate it and I can completely lose my train of thought. I don't know about surrounding myself with only pleasant sensations though, it's more like I just need to know there won't be any surprises to distract me.

Although really, if the possibility is planted in my mind before it actually happens- like if someone tells me a fire alarm has been wonky and might go off- then I'll do much better at bouncing back and regaining my train of thought than if it happens without warning (on the downside I won't be able to concentrate as well, but at least I'll regain my focus faster after being interrupted). The more of a surprise something is, then the more of an interruption it is- and the more an interruption, the more whatever I was focusing on is *gone* and it can really agitate me.

So in short: I make a point of knowing when I won't be interrupted to get the more focused thinking over with, and knowing what sort of interruptions might happen makes them a lot easier to deal with.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I greatly dislike being interrupted when im in a deep train of thought. However being the Fe user I am, I dont have the heart to tell people how much it annoys me in real life when im staring off into space and they decide that this is a great moment to engage me with something.

To be honest I cant really expect people to know im busy..elsewhere can I?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    I suppose I agree with it if I'm in the middle of something. I usually make a point of doing things that require my focus while I won't get interrupted. If I anticipate the interruption, then it isn't agitating because I don't let my mind wander or get very deep in thought. But if I'm focused on something then yes, I really, really hate it and I can completely lose my train of thought. I don't know about surrounding myself with only pleasant sensations though, it's more like I just need to know there won't be any surprises to distract me.

Although really, if the possibility is planted in my mind before it actually happens- like if someone tells me a fire alarm has been wonky and might go off- then I'll do much better at bouncing back and regaining my train of thought than if it happens without warning (on the downside I won't be able to concentrate as well, but at least I'll regain my focus faster after being interrupted). The more of a surprise something is, then the more of an interruption it is- and the more an interruption, the more whatever I was focusing on is *gone* and it can really agitate me.

So in short: I make a point of knowing when I won't be interrupted to get the more focused thinking over with, and knowing what sort of interruptions might happen makes them a lot easier to deal with.
    Yes I am starting to see that I don't like them either. I was wonderting what was making me so annoyed at this. I relate to what you've said here so I'm going to conclude it's Ni.

So I will try to take this advice. And prepare. The fire alarm scenario is a very good example thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I greatly dislike being interrupted when im in a deep train of thought. However being the Fe user I am, I dont have the heart to tell people how much it annoys me in real life when im staring off into space and they decide that this is a great moment to engage me with something.

To be honest I cant really expect people to know im busy..elsewhere can I?
    Yea, even if I wanted to tell people how much it annoys me I can't (I don't like to and I'm actually not allowed lol.) I'm not a manager or anything but the people above me expect a certain type of behavior. And you're right, for others to know I'm busy in my head is kinda impossible lol, so it's not really thier fault. That's why I need help lol! And I only have Ni as an aux...and it's not developed as much as an Ni dom would be. So it can be very hard to get back into whatever I was doing after an interruption, cause I feel like I need to start all over again.

Thanks for the feedback ya'll!

Freedom isn't free.
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    10w12

You mean when I'm playing a PC game and somebody wants something? Or when I read an article and someone thinks it's a good idea to say something? Or when I'm writing and someone asks something? Or when I'm watching a movie and someone thinks it's a good idea to say something, and the worst case scenario make me take my headphones off over 5 times in 30 seconds, even if I ask "is that all?" and the answer is "yes?"

It's annoying as hell. I hate it. Sometimes I even say "do not interrupt me until ...." I can get back to what I was doing, but usually I have to think about what I was doing and get my thoughts back to the cut-off point. Chances are, I've forgotten something related to what I was doing (lost thoughts).
    @AffirmitiveAnxiety I don't, however, usually sit and stare at something, thinking. I prefer doing stuff, being active instead... But if I was thinking about something important, yes, I would get VERY annoyed and would lose my train of thought, even if it was someone asking what time it is or car breaks. In fact, a couple of times, when I was taking a walk and thinking, I did lose my train of thought when the driver did "pedal to the metal" using the wrong pedal... I was a bit annoyed, lost some of my thoughts and essentially lost interest in what I was thinking about, moved on to another subjects.

I may either be an INTJ or ENTJ. Although, many also suggest INTP.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Typoz View Post
    You mean when I'm playing a PC game and somebody wants something? Or when I read an article and someone thinks it's a good idea to say something? Or when I'm writing and someone asks something? Or when I'm watching a movie and someone thinks it's a good idea to say something, and the worst case scenario make me take my headphones off over 5 times in 30 seconds, even if I ask "is that all?" and the answer is "yes?"

It's annoying as hell. I hate it. Sometimes I even say "do not interrupt me until ...." I can get back to what I was doing, but usually I have to think about what I was doing and get my thoughts back to the cut-off point. Chances are, I've forgotten something related to what I was doing (lost thoughts).
    @AffirmitiveAnxiety I don't, however, usually sit and stare at something, thinking. I prefer doing stuff, being active instead... But if I was thinking about something important, yes, I would get VERY annoyed and would lose my train of thought, even if it was someone asking what time it is or car breaks. In fact, a couple of times, when I was taking a walk and thinking, I did lose my train of thought when the driver did "pedal to the metal" using the wrong pedal... I was a bit annoyed, lost some of my thoughts and essentially lost interest in what I was thinking about, moved on to another subjects.

I may either be an INTJ or ENTJ. Although, many also suggest INTP.
    HA HA, I actually laughed out loud when I read the first paragragh! love it.

Yea maybe it's just part of being an N in general. Either way, I relate even when just staring or walking and thinking. I hate having to rewind and go through my thoughts all over again. After a while I get to the point I just wanna throw my hands up and say "eff it, I just wont get anything done today." I don't think I would care as much at home, if it didn't happen all day long at work. And I don't think that it would bother me at all if I didn't have bills. It's like I'm getting paid to do a certain job that keeps getting interrupted. And then I have to find time somehow and figure out when/where I can do my own work instead of solving everyone else's problems.

On a more upbeat note, Do you guys think that using more Se would solve the problem? Cause I feel like when I ask all the ISFP's I know they say that they just take a breathe and just go back to what they were doing...<---cause they can remember it easily, and continue on their detailed paths. not fair!

Or maybe Ti too? Cause when I interrupt Ti it's like "knock, knock?" There's no getting through until they're done peering into the computer's soul. (Or whatever they're doin) lol

feedback?

Freedom isn't free.
    10w12

I used to be extremely irritated by noises but now I just ignore them. I abhor interruptions though, they get in the way of productivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Urarienev View Post
    HA HA, I actually laughed out loud when I read the first paragragh! love it.

Yea maybe it's just part of being an N in general. Either way, I relate even when just staring or walking and thinking. I hate having to rewind and go through my thoughts all over again. After a while I get to the point I just wanna throw my hands up and say "eff it, I just wont get anything done today." I don't think I would care as much at home, if it didn't happen all day long at work. And I don't think that it would bother me at all if I didn't have bills. It's like I'm getting paid to do a certain job that keeps getting interrupted. And then I have to find time somehow and figure out when/where I can do my own work instead of solving everyone else's problems.

On a more upbeat note, Do you guys think that using more Se would solve the problem? Cause I feel like when I ask all the ISFP's I know they say that they just take a breathe and just go back to what they were doing...<---cause they can remember it easily, and continue on their detailed paths. not fair!

Or maybe Ti too? Cause when I interrupt Ti it's like "knock, knock?" There's no getting through until they're done peering into the computer's soul. (Or whatever they're doin) lol

feedback?
    Thank you. I go through that shit every day, for the most part. ;
    Yea, there are days, or at least the first few times, when I don't get annoyed, but I can't remember if at those times I was doing something immersive or not. I still feel the dislike towards the fact that I've to get back to it though, but it's gone in maybe 10s then.

You mean the "hey, hey, HEY!!! *slaps him in the face*" part that you have to go through when talking to some people when they're doing something? I think that's more of a Ti thing. Personally, I find that annoying at times, because some people continue doing it for another 30-60s until they respond.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Typoz View Post
    Thank you. I go through that shit every day, for the most part. ;
    Yea, there are days, or at least the first few times, when I don't get annoyed, but I can't remember if at those times I was doing something immersive or not. I still feel the dislike towards the fact that I've to get back to it though, but it's gone in maybe 10s then.

You mean the "hey, hey, HEY!!! *slaps him in the face*" part that you have to go through when talking to some people when they're doing something? I think that's more of a Ti thing. Personally, I find that annoying at times, because some people continue doing it for another 30-60s until they respond.
    Ha Ha I find it very annoying too...but I feel like I am going to have to be one of those annoying people to get anything done.

Freedom isn't free.
    10w12

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Yes they do annoy me.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639