• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ni Doms/Auxs! Do interruptions irk the heck out of you?

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"Ni and Se have a suppressive relationship. Ni causes the person to withdraw from the active sensual environment in order to work effectively. The slightest nudge, impulse noise, or visual flash can knock a person completely out of Ni and derail their train of thought. Because of this, Ni dominants can’t stand being interrupted, and prefer to surround themselves with only the most pleasant of sensations."

This is a quote from this site: http://intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=6582

Do people that are Ni Dom/Aux despise interruptions?

If so, how do you deal with this or handle them?

I'm asking, because I need to improve on not letting them compromise the quality of my work. Also I would like to know if this really is something that plagues an Ni dom, and if they agree with the quote above.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I suppose I agree with it if I'm in the middle of something. I usually make a point of doing things that require my focus while I won't get interrupted. If I anticipate the interruption, then it isn't agitating because I don't let my mind wander or get very deep in thought. But if I'm focused on something then yes, I really, really hate it and I can completely lose my train of thought. I don't know about surrounding myself with only pleasant sensations though, it's more like I just need to know there won't be any surprises to distract me.

Although really, if the possibility is planted in my mind before it actually happens- like if someone tells me a fire alarm has been wonky and might go off- then I'll do much better at bouncing back and regaining my train of thought than if it happens without warning (on the downside I won't be able to concentrate as well, but at least I'll regain my focus faster after being interrupted). The more of a surprise something is, then the more of an interruption it is- and the more an interruption, the more whatever I was focusing on is *gone* and it can really agitate me.

So in short: I make a point of knowing when I won't be interrupted to get the more focused thinking over with, and knowing what sort of interruptions might happen makes them a lot easier to deal with.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I greatly dislike being interrupted when im in a deep train of thought. However being the Fe user I am, I dont have the heart to tell people how much it annoys me in real life when im staring off into space and they decide that this is a great moment to engage me with something.

To be honest I cant really expect people to know im busy..elsewhere can I?

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I suppose I agree with it if I'm in the middle of something. I usually make a point of doing things that require my focus while I won't get interrupted. If I anticipate the interruption, then it isn't agitating because I don't let my mind wander or get very deep in thought. But if I'm focused on something then yes, I really, really hate it and I can completely lose my train of thought. I don't know about surrounding myself with only pleasant sensations though, it's more like I just need to know there won't be any surprises to distract me.

Although really, if the possibility is planted in my mind before it actually happens- like if someone tells me a fire alarm has been wonky and might go off- then I'll do much better at bouncing back and regaining my train of thought than if it happens without warning (on the downside I won't be able to concentrate as well, but at least I'll regain my focus faster after being interrupted). The more of a surprise something is, then the more of an interruption it is- and the more an interruption, the more whatever I was focusing on is *gone* and it can really agitate me.

So in short: I make a point of knowing when I won't be interrupted to get the more focused thinking over with, and knowing what sort of interruptions might happen makes them a lot easier to deal with.

Yes I am starting to see that I don't like them either. I was wonderting what was making me so annoyed at this. I relate to what you've said here so I'm going to conclude it's Ni.

So I will try to take this advice. And prepare. The fire alarm scenario is a very good example thank you!!! :)

I greatly dislike being interrupted when im in a deep train of thought. However being the Fe user I am, I dont have the heart to tell people how much it annoys me in real life when im staring off into space and they decide that this is a great moment to engage me with something.

To be honest I cant really expect people to know im busy..elsewhere can I?

Yea, even if I wanted to tell people how much it annoys me I can't (I don't like to and I'm actually not allowed lol.) I'm not a manager or anything but the people above me expect a certain type of behavior. And you're right, for others to know I'm busy in my head is kinda impossible lol, so it's not really thier fault. That's why I need help lol! And I only have Ni as an aux...and it's not developed as much as an Ni dom would be. So it can be very hard to get back into whatever I was doing after an interruption, cause I feel like I need to start all over again. :(

Thanks for the feedback ya'll!

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You mean when I'm playing a PC game and somebody wants something? Or when I read an article and someone thinks it's a good idea to say something? Or when I'm writing and someone asks something? Or when I'm watching a movie and someone thinks it's a good idea to say something, and the worst case scenario make me take my headphones off over 5 times in 30 seconds, even if I ask "is that all?" and the answer is "yes?"

It's annoying as hell. I hate it. Sometimes I even say "do not interrupt me until ...." I can get back to what I was doing, but usually I have to think about what I was doing and get my thoughts back to the cut-off point. Chances are, I've forgotten something related to what I was doing (lost thoughts).
[MENTION=15392]AffirmitiveAnxiety[/MENTION] I don't, however, usually sit and stare at something, thinking. I prefer doing stuff, being active instead... But if I was thinking about something important, yes, I would get VERY annoyed and would lose my train of thought, even if it was someone asking what time it is or car breaks. In fact, a couple of times, when I was taking a walk and thinking, I did lose my train of thought when the driver did "pedal to the metal" using the wrong pedal... I was a bit annoyed, lost some of my thoughts and essentially lost interest in what I was thinking about, moved on to another subjects.

I may either be an INTJ or ENTJ. Although, many also suggest INTP. :D

HA HA, I actually laughed out loud when I read the first paragragh! love it.

Yea maybe it's just part of being an N in general. Either way, I relate even when just staring or walking and thinking. I hate having to rewind and go through my thoughts all over again. After a while I get to the point I just wanna throw my hands up and say "eff it, I just wont get anything done today." I don't think I would care as much at home, if it didn't happen all day long at work. And I don't think that it would bother me at all if I didn't have bills. It's like I'm getting paid to do a certain job that keeps getting interrupted. And then I have to find time somehow and figure out when/where I can do my own work instead of solving everyone else's problems. :doh:

On a more upbeat note, Do you guys think that using more Se would solve the problem? Cause I feel like when I ask all the ISFP's I know they say that they just take a breathe and just go back to what they were doing...<---cause they can remember it easily, and continue on their detailed paths. ;) not fair!

Or maybe Ti too? Cause when I interrupt Ti it's like "knock, knock?" There's no getting through until they're done peering into the computer's soul. (Or whatever they're doin) lol

feedback?

Nicki

Retired
I used to be extremely irritated by noises but now I just ignore them. I abhor interruptions though, they get in the way of productivity.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thank you. :D I go through that shit every day, for the most part. ;
Yea, there are days, or at least the first few times, when I don't get annoyed, but I can't remember if at those times I was doing something immersive or not. I still feel the dislike towards the fact that I've to get back to it though, but it's gone in maybe 10s then.

You mean the "hey, hey, HEY!!! *slaps him in the face*" part that you have to go through when talking to some people when they're doing something? I think that's more of a Ti thing. Personally, I find that annoying at times, because some people continue doing it for another 30-60s until they respond.

Ha Ha I find it very annoying too...but I feel like I am going to have to be one of those annoying people to get anything done.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes they do annoy me.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't give a crap since I can withdraw so deeply that although sensory stimuli is beating upon my organs I simpy focus my attention away from these perceptions and into the world of my mind.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What do you do to get back into the groove of what you were doing, before you were interrupted?

Nothing in particular. Just takes a while.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I try to create situations where I'm not interrupted. I don't answer the phone when the call is at a bad time, I work at home when I can, or in a separate room. I'm definitely not a multi-tasker. I get really confused when subjected to many different inputs at once. I think this is also an issue for Ti-doms.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I get very annoyed when I am forced out of myself. I am developing and developing and generally work forces me to extrovert... That is being fixed though.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some interruptions bother me, some don't. Socializing doesn't, but I'm really easily distracted and so I just don't socialize at times I have to get things done, because I know I won't. Unless it's my study group for Japanese- they get off topic all the time, but I can focus even while they're talking. I don't know why. Maybe because Japanese is hard and I need frequent breaks. Other than that I study and do things alone in a quiet place. My mom is really annoying to be in the same room with if I'm trying to focus on something because she's so noisy. Even when she's not talking she'll be singing some annoying thing over and over. And I always notice music. I can't study in Starbucks unless I bring my ipod because half the time their music is annoying and I can't stand it.

The part about surrounding myself with pleasant sensations is spot on. I have to be in a pleasant, attractive, and clean environment, or else I just can't think properly.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Honestly, I don't even have to be interrupted for some of the same to apply; it can happen any time I'm trying to extrovert my thoughts out.

I think all of this is why my speech is often slow and disjointed with a lot of pauses, and also why I need to look down 80% of the time I'm talking, only with periodic eye contact, because otherwise I'll completely lose my train of thought. And the more external hubbub, the more this may happen; more pauses. Same if the other person does something distracting - I'll lose my train of thought. So I have to be almost wholly in my mind to be able to extrovert anything relatively complex which requires me to dig deep. Tis why I obv. prefer writing. (Although immediate things, things don't require as much thought, I can quickly get out there and be more animated)

This happened a few weeks ago at work, and it was one of the first times I was completely embarrassed about it. Some IT people were visiting for a project I'm an analyst on, I thought of something design/functionality-wise that I thought should be brought up, I went into the conference room to outline 2 points to the IT guy, got the first point out, then started the second and my mind just went completely blank, and I had to be like... 'sorry, uggh, this happens sometimes, where I'll just completely lose my train of thought', and I had to sit there for 15 seconds or so, silent, before I finally remembered where I was going.

/hard to know how much of this is really tied to Ni, though, vs. something that's kinda universally more applicable to many introverts.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Honestly, I don't even have to be interrupted for some of the same to apply; it can happen any time I'm trying to extrovert my thoughts out.

I think all of this is why my speech is often slow and disjointed with a lot of pauses, and also why I need to look down 80% of the time I'm talking, only with periodic eye contact, because otherwise I'll completely lose my train of thought. And the more external hubbub, the more this may happen; more pauses. Same if the other person does something distracting - I'll lose my train of thought. So I have to be almost wholly in my mind to be able to extrovert anything relatively complex which requires me to dig deep. Tis why I obv. prefer writing. (Although immediate things, things don't require as much thought, I can quickly get out there and be more animated)

This happened a few weeks ago at work, and it was one of the first times I was completely embarrassed about it. Some IT people were visiting for a project I'm an analyst on, I thought of something design/functionality-wise that I thought should be brought up, I went into the conference room to outline 2 points to the IT guy, got the first point out, then started the second and my mind just went completely blank, and I had to be like... 'sorry, uggh, this happens sometimes, where I'll just completely lose my train of thought', and I had to sit there for 15 seconds or so, silent, before I finally remembered where I was going.

/hard to know how much of this is really tied to Ni, though, vs. something that's kinda universally more applicable to many introverts.

Yes I thought that too. I think it is an introvert thing as well. But I'm an extravert that's, why I was questioning it, and trying to pin point what the problem was, cause then I could find a solution.

Then I just started thinking maybe I am just more of an introverted extravert. lol

I know even as a kid, I hated being interrupted when I was in the middle of things.<---wierd cause I was only playing with toys back then lol...

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The part about surrounding myself with pleasant sensations is spot on. I have to be in a pleasant, attractive, and clean environment, or else I just can't think properly.

Oddly enough, I need one, too.

Dammit...I just got interrupted as I was trying to type this. I hate it. I'll be deep in something and BOOM! I usually bite when interrupted, too..."Get out and don't come back in here unless it's an emergency!"

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yeah, me too. Only it's not so much I lose my train of thought as I just can't seem to find words to express concepts. And I leave out most of the details because they're already in my head. And then later I'll think about it again, and think of things I should have said and ways I could have said it to be more entertaining. It's why I'm a dreadful storyteller.

You know, there is a fair amount of overlap between INFJ and INTP. Maybe some doubtful INTP's will discover they fit INFJ a little better.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have to be almost wholly in my mind to be able to extrovert anything relatively complex which requires me to dig deep. Tis why I obv. prefer writing.

Totally, this.

I’m pretty sure it’s why Ps are so much more mercurial than Js when it comes to adapting to changes in immediate environment. I mean I can see how it’s tied to introverted perception, if not specifically introverted intuition- though it makes sense to me that it would apply even moreso to Ni than Si, since it’s slightly more removed from the immediate environment.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Totally, this.

I’m pretty sure it’s why Ps are so much more mercurial than Js when it comes to adapting to changes in immediate environment. I mean I can see how it’s tied to introverted perception, if not specifically introverted intuition- though it makes sense to me that it would apply even moreso to Ni than Si, since it’s slightly more removed from the immediate environment.

hmm, yes maybe it involves Si too

Although I feel like Si is that function that is always pulling the best possible vocabulary out to express itself perfectly.

I think to solve my problem I'm just going to have to Te everythiing. Just talk my thought process out loud all day long...maybe then it'll seem like I'm busy and people wont interrupt me as much.

Also now we have new shiny head sets we have to wear...so I'm hoping that will help too.