• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Interpretations of Feeling Functions

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fi neither cares about people nor doesn't care about people. It's a tool to use. What the Fi user fills it up with is up to the individual, simply put the Fi helps the user craft a system of values to live by (it has many nuances and is a very refined system, the specification of the values are extremely, extremely precise) and whilst it is inflexible with value violation it is flexible about what those values are. Fi users can change what they find of value, if something goes through the Fi (I picture it as something resembling a factory assembly line & quality control system myself ) and the Fi determines it is "right" at the end a new value is adopted or a new point of view is accepted and valued (become true to the individual's beliefs.) Previous values can become redundant in the same manner (and completely dismissed without a second thought) if the Fi determines the held value is no longer "right" or true to the person. Fi users are resistant to social beliefs because Fi insists an external moral or ethical value go through it first and be approved rather than accepted immediately without any scrutiny. I wouldn't know how else to explain it. I guess its the same as Fe - just a tool which is then filled up by environmental ethics the Fe user is exposed to. Fe users would adopt same/similar values as their environment and the Fe would process and judge as "right" or "wrong" based on this criteria.

Fi can be used to justify criminal behaviour if the Fi cannot determine the actions of the individual to be "wrong" however it works both ways. Fe can adopt a moral position which could be considered immoral or even criminal whilst an Fi user can stand against it, accusing the Fe users of justifying criminal behaviour simply because its the social norm. As for the "dark side" then yes I admit that exists. My Fi has made me want to get revenge or punish people in the past sometimes for purely sadistic reasons because the Fi says that is what I truly desire to do. But then again can't Fe users manipulate and backstab too?

This is a really good description.

I think Fe could commit a crime or do something really crazy too. Like I think both could join cults. Fi because it's checked with it's value system and the beliefs of the cult are the same as Fi. Where it's the other way around for Fe...it's like the beliefs of Fe are right (to the Fe) because "everyone else is doing it" (everyone else meaning: usually highly respected and loved people that have already been predetermined by the Fe). So they both have thier advantages and disadvantages. :D

Musiqientist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
E4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is a really good description.

I think Fe could commit a crime or do something really crazy too. Like I think both could join cults. Fi because it's checked with it's value system and the beliefs of the cult are the same as Fi. Where it's the other way around for Fe...it's like the beliefs of Fe are right (to the Fe) because "everyone else is doing it" (everyone else meaning: usually highly respected and loved people that have already been predetermined by the Fe). So they both have thier advantages and disadvantages. :D

Yes I agree with the post above as well. I'm sure anybody could justify something crazy, there just seems to be something about it that fits well with Fi. Not necessarily criminal behavior, just an example.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes I agree with the post above as well. I'm sure anybody could justify something crazy, there just seems to be something about it that fits well with Fi. Not necessarily criminal behavior, just an example.

I actually think that it could be most likely to go jail too. Fi when not expressed properly can hold on to things, and just suppress things so much that it can come up out of nowhere and control your life.It is Revengful, unforgiving, victimizes itself, places blame on others extremely easily, does not take responsibility...and that mixed with an indulgent Se ...Fi can definately make you go to jail lol. I'm speaking from experience. My older sister is an ISFP...a very unhealthy one at that...she has been to jail already and may be going back again this year if she keeps stealing like she does. lol so first hand...having two FP's in the family and me being TJ...I know Fi can make someone be a criminal ....the only thing I never agreed with my dad about is revenge...it's a terrible cycle i would never want to start.

I also am starting to feel the "weight" of Fi myself because of supressing it for so long. I have irrational blame games in my head all the time now a days...and I'm starting to be unforgiving of people as well.

And then Fi has a way of saying "it's ok to steal this. Cause it's a big corporation, it's not like it's my friends I'm stealing from" <---word for word explaination from my isfp bf...hope he never gets caught...lol<---Fi can be crazy sorta like the whole Robin Hood thing...is it really right or wrong? depends who you ask, also depends how much your Fi can negogiate with your morals.

I guess as long as you are Fe in your own culture it's fine...but if you do something that your Fe thinks is the norm somewhere else...u could accidentally go to jail??? lol no clue ha ha I'm just guessing here. Maybe they act out anger? Not sure how Fe can be a criminal...Doing drugs, giving into peer pressure? :shrug:

Bardsandwarriors

Xena's boyfriend
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I would guess Fe can easily be a criminal when the society or clique they are in is criminal. Eg. the politicians scandals in the UK now, with expenses fiddles and p*phile rings. Once they are in a closed subculture, that is their world. Then it is up to the Fe's outside, and the Fi's inside that subculture, to stand up to it.

Bardsandwarriors

Xena's boyfriend
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Fe can also be exclusive and snobby towards people who don't fit the norm. This can make them cause trouble, often in sneaky ways, towards minorities. Particularly if their friends have a similar outlook.

Musiqientist

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
E4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fe can also be exclusive and snobby towards people who don't fit the norm. This can make them cause trouble, often in sneaky ways, towards minorities. Particularly if their friends have a similar outlook.

I very much agree. This is what I find unnerving some of the one's I've encountered. Then again that probably has to do with something else more so than the topic at hand.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I would guess Fe can easily be a criminal when the society or clique they are in is criminal. Eg. the politicians scandals in the UK now, with expenses fiddles and p*phile rings. Once they are in a closed subculture, that is their world. Then it is up to the Fe's outside, and the Fi's inside that subculture, to stand up to it.

I somewhat agree although this implies that Fe cannot stand up to something from within. Fe is more than just the current group, it is all groups that have left a mark or at least judged as being useful enough to leave a mark and depending upon the negative or positive influences in the Fe users life....it can mean taking either the best or the worst values from those around you.

But they have minds, they can choose which values to pick and which to leave. Fe is not merely a vacuum of it's surroundings, although to an Fi user bullied on the fringe of those stupid social groupings, it can certainly seem that way.

Fe at it's most extreme levels could easily be a nasty delusion though; in that the individual might go along with a questionable situation because it wants to preserve the harmony...and even worse may end becoming part of that group as you outlined.

Of course on the other side Fi at it's most extreme can justify anything and everything at a personal level. Especially concerning justice and fairness.
Since those are filtered through an extremely subjective, individual and above all dangerously black and white perspective, (once again in the extreme), reason is lost to the individual.

Of course reason is lost to Fe as well when both are of these negative natures.

Standuble

I somewhat agree although this implies that Fe cannot stand up to something from within. Fe is more than just the current group, it is all groups that have left a mark or at least judged as being useful enough to leave a mark and depending upon the negative or positive influences in the Fe users life....it can mean taking either the best or the worst values from those around you.

That sounds more like a combination of Pi and Fe than just the Fe function on its own.

W

WALMART

Fi is subjecting experience to held beliefs.

Fe is objecting experience to held beliefs.

Fi is thinking "I love laughing, we should run through the store having fun."

Fe is thinking "People hate disruptive people - though it would make me happy, I would likely put people off."

W

WALMART

What do you mean by "objecting"?

To weigh in contrast of perceived factual information, rather than simply what you intuit to be true.

I think pot makes everyone happy. That is a subjective statement.

Pot has been shown to make 20% of its users report decreased stress levels. That is objective.

Bardsandwarriors

Xena's boyfriend
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Pot has been shown to make 20% of its users report decreased stress levels. That is objective.

So do you mean this quote ^^ would be the information in the Fe matrix in your head, and the mind is comparing the situation with it?

Whereas with Fi, the matrix in your head would say "Pot is good" (or some more complicated version of it), and you would compare the situation with that?

W

WALMART

So do you mean this quote ^^ would be the information in the Fe matrix in your head, and the mind is comparing the situation with it?

Whereas with Fi, the matrix in your head would say "Pot is good" (or some more complicated version of it), and you would compare the situation with that?

I think of Fi is intuiting how you feel about something without really being sure why, even though you know the confirming bias is present. Things just 'feel' certain ways. Fi is very 'true to self', I suppose you could say.

I think of Fe as rationalizing how you should feel about something based on things outside of your own feelings, pretty much everything opposite of what I just said.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I would say that Fi would be painting the walls of your cell in your own shit as a protest to your being stuck in solitary... Fe would be more likely to play the good prisoner and befriend the guards in order to get moved from solitary instead :shrug:

G

Ginkgo

I would say that Fi would be painting the walls of your cell in your own shit as a protest to your being stuck in solitary... Fe would be more likely to play the good prisoner and befriend the guards in order to get moved from solitary instead :shrug:

:laugh:

Jaguar

That's actually pretty accurate. Christ, now all I see in my head is shit all over the walls. Look what you've done! :D

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To weigh in contrast of perceived factual information, rather than simply what you intuit to be true.

I think pot makes everyone happy. That is a subjective statement.

"Pot seems to lower stress levels in some people" is subjective

"Pot has been shown to cause 20% of its users to have lower stres levels" is objective

Your first subjective statement is not a good example. Its taking extremes, where as the second one isnt. It skews peoples perception of subjective vs objective. Why use inaccurate subjective analysis and accurate objective analysis? As if one cant be somewhat accurate while being subjective.

I am extremely subjective and one thing that causes my head to explode is when my son wants "accurate" numbers. I dont know, 20%, 30%, 40%, 31.387467%. I dont care about accurate numbers for most things. 52% vs 48% has NO majority in my opinion. they are to close...now ask me to say exactly what number is not "to close" and I dont know. I am not that exacting nor do I care to be. That close to me is a crap shot and I dont really care which way things go.

Short story...my brother dropped me and my son off at the store(we left my car there earlier) and we bought a battery charger then left. We pulled up to my parents driveway and my son asked if my brother was home, when I said yes, "he asked how long has he been home...5 minutes"...I replied I dont know..."he replied around 5 minutes?"...ME: "I have no clue"..."between 5-10?"..."I dont know...why?"..."just curious"..."why?"..."just curious!!!"...."why?"..."just curious...STOP". We have so many of these conversation. Have the same convos with an INFP friend..."so you think?"...I dont know..."if you think about it, dont you think"..."I dont know"..."well I think its such and such, dont you think"..."*laugh*"..."what was that for?"..."because I answered I dont know so many times yet you ask the same exact question over and over. you want me to just make up something?"..."sure"..."50 million"

W

WALMART

"Pot seems to lower stress levels in some people" is subjective

"Pot has been shown to cause 20% of its users to have lower stres levels" is objective

Your first subjective statement is not a good example. Its taking extremes, where as the second one isnt. It skews peoples perception of subjective vs objective. Why use inaccurate subjective analysis and accurate objective analysis? As if one cant be somewhat accurate while being subjective.

I am extremely subjective and one thing that causes my head to explode is when my son wants "accurate" numbers. I dont know, 20%, 30%, 40%, 31.387467%. I dont care about accurate numbers for most things. 52% vs 48% has NO majority in my opinion. they are to close...now ask me to say exactly what number is not "to close" and I dont know. I am not that exacting nor do I care to be. That close to me is a crap shot and I dont really care which way things go.

The second also is Te. I thought about fixing it, but decided I didn't really care enough to. My other posts do a better job at the thread's objective.