• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type is the sharpest 'Improviser'?

DoctorCroupy#9

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Exactly what the title says, which type do you think would be able to best improvise their way out of a tight spot. I've heard a couple answers on this and the skill has always interested me. What do you guys think? I'd want to guess (with my limited knowledge) either the ESTP or ENTP..

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i think it depends on the person more than type, but type does give you a push to right or wrong direction on the 'good improviser' scale. i would say that TPs have the advantage here in general, but ETJs can be as good, if the thing they are doing is their specialty or they had some previous exposure to similar things(in that case they might do even better than TPs). what i have noticed with my ENTP friend and me is that he might be better at intuitively knowing what to do faster(doesent have to think every time when doing something and still his fail rate is amazingly low), but my Ti works 10 times faster, so he might be better at improvising than me in some situations, but i think i would do better than him at others.

R

Riva

Which improvising are we talking about here? Is it trouble shooting or performing/inventing without preparation.

Assuming it is trouble-shooting theoretically it should be TPs - ISTP > ESTP > INTP > ENTP in order. The natural ability of Ti to take things apart to see how it works combined with Se's immediate noticing of things in the environment would make xSTPs the best at trouble shooting.

Assuming it is producing/creating/inventing without preparation EPs would be the best.

Strangely though INTPs do not seem to have the ability to improvise - immediately find solutions or immediately produce/perform without preparation as the Sensor counterparts though I placed them third in troubleshooting. But if it is finding solutions to complex problems it would be INTPs over the other TPs hands down.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Exactly what the title says, which type do you think would be able to best improvise their way out of a tight spot. I've heard a couple answers on this and the skill has always interested me. What do you guys think? I'd want to guess (with my limited knowledge) either the ESTP or ENTP..

A counter question.
Which type makes the best pilot?
A book man or an improviser?
Perhaps neither.

The book is an expedient safeguard.
However.

Something goes totally wrong. The book is useless.
In such cases is it possible an ESTP pilot could save the plane?
Not any more.

Automation has taken over.
It is not only aviation.

R

Riva

A counter question.
Which type makes the best pilot?
A book man or an improviser?
Perhaps neither.

The book is an expedient safeguard.
However.

Something goes totally wrong. The book is useless.
In such cases is it possible an ESTP pilot could save the plane?
Not any more.

Automation has taken over.
It is not only aviation.
[MENTION=13147]senza_tema[/MENTION] this is a good example of Ne gone wild.

Also,

Someone please tell me I am not alone when it comes to losing self when trying to understand/make-sense of WildCat's posts.

I like your posts Wildkitty. Please keep them coming ;).

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISFJ.

Why?

Because they are obviously the inventors of every innovative and original idea in existence not to mention their complete and utter disregard for authority as they tear down all traditions and conventions assunder!

bee91

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
on one hand, should the situation call for improvisation, the ESTP may be much more prepared, given that they're sensors living in the here and now. they don't feel blocked by the pressure, they just see it as something they can work around. they're thinking "bring it". added to their quick thinking, ESTPs are also action-oriented, so they perhaps won't experience the anxiety and fear of it all, which can very much hinder one's abilities and performance. they're not held back by silly little things like pressure.

on the other hand, the ENTP may be more adept. ENTPs are as mentally quick as ESTPs, but ENTPs, unlike ESTPs, don't do things for the thrill as frequently as ESTPs do. the ENTP requires a bit more time than the ESTP to adjust to his situations before he can act on it. an ENTP under pressure isn't always a pretty sight. they're still logical, but they no longer have that charm they're famous for, because their one focus is on saying the right thing, not the delivery.

ENTPs are better at selling their ideas. ESTPs are just more ready to, and its often their ease and confidence that can add to their credibility. ENTPs put more thought and will provide better arguments, ESTPs just see it as dealing with another situation that comes along, like its just another day. for an ENTP, improvisation is more about the fact that he has to do it right. for an ESTP, it's about the fact that he just has to do it.

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Type 3 and 7 of any MBTI type. These are the most innovative, easy-going, emotionally stable types. The vice of type 3 according to this table http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enneagram_of_Personality#Nine_types is deceit; they don't mind stretching the truth in their favor which gives them an advantage of getting out of funky situations.

G

Ginkgo

ISFJ.

Why?

Because they are obviously the inventors of every innovative and original idea in existence not to mention their complete and utter disregard for authority as they tear down all traditions and conventions assunder!

^

WAIT. No. ISTJ. Get your eyeglasses checked next time you decide to agree with my outstanding wisdom.

ScottJames

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Depends on the context, but generally ENFP, ENTP, ESFP and ESTP are the best improvisers.

Se primaries have this thing their brain does that Dr. Dario Nardi (who studies MBTI via EEG) calls a 'tennis hop' where the regions of their brain show rapidly alternating activity between both sides, kind of like how a tennis player bounces their balance left and right to be ready to move in whatever direction they need to.

Ne primaries, when they're engaging Ne, show brain activity that Dr. Nardi calls a 'Christmas tree pattern', because all regions of the brain light up in rapid and random order, kind of like really obnoxious blinking lights on a Christmas tree.

So those 4 types are most primed to act and adjust in the moment. Other types can be good at improvising in other ways, but to give the best general answer, it would be those four.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Depends on the context, but generally ENFP, ENTP, ESFP and ESTP are the best improvisers.

Se primaries have this thing their brain does that Dr. Dario Nardi (who studies MBTI via EEG) calls a 'tennis hop' where the regions of their brain show rapidly alternating activity between both sides, kind of like how a tennis player bounces their balance left and right to be ready to move in whatever direction they need to.

Ne primaries, when they're engaging Ne, show brain activity that Dr. Nardi calls a 'Christmas tree pattern', because all regions of the brain light up in rapid and random order, kind of like really obnoxious blinking lights on a Christmas tree.

So those 4 types are most primed to act and adjust in the moment. Other types can be good at improvising in other ways, but to give the best general answer, it would be those four.

agreed!

gretch

MBTI Type
ENFP
I actually am going to Keirsey on this one. I think every post has basically said "it depends on what you mean."
Though Keirsey threw away cognitive functions, he was a genius when it came to revolutionizing intelligence types and he, if I remember correctly was the first to cohesively group NT's, NF's, SJ's and SP's together. Which is interesting at the very least.

His theory is:
NT: Strategic intelligence - the art of looking ahead in abstract ways, philosophies, science etc. in a pinch and I am freaking out, my husband will always say we should do something that doesn't seem applicable -but I just didn't realize he was ten steps ahead. However, the man does not know what is in his pocket.
NF: Diplomatic intelligence -the art of working with people, but it's not always nice, obsession with abstract morals. Uh Ghandi, Che Guevara both examples of very very charismatic NF's using diplomatic intelligence- in very different ways. Cult leaders...lol ;) political ambassadors. Journalists... uh you get it.

SP: Tactical Intelligence -knowing what to do in that moment. They zig you zag. Dancing, mentally, physically, intellectually. The football player knows when to jump to miss being tackled because of tactics. They are utilitarian like the NT's but in a battle, in the grit, and it makes them mighty. Painters, artist, composers. Most of my favorite artists I once thought were NF's *shakes head* no way. I don't even think Bob Dylan is. Kurt Cobain is an NF.... but Paul McCartney, Aaron Bruno, the chicks of Dead Sara, uh basically any actor you see. All SP 85% of them. The most famous poets are most likely SPs too. We NF's want to claim them as we "feel so deeply", but the SPs just sound better.

SJ: Logistical Intelligence: This is the one I suck at. My mother, the ISTJ. Family party: *ahem She knows exactly how much food needs to be made, how many plates need to be put out, when what food needs to be put in at what time so that nothing is cold when everything is served. Everything is aesthetically placed AND it's placed to that when people go through a line that was thought of so they could go through quickly without hitting into eachother they could put the food on their plate in a certain order so they would have the most important food first and the less important food/ food we're worried we might run out of last. "Oh honey, Haven (my daughter) wants to color I made them a special table and I have extra jammies in case they want to sleep in the spare room, do you want me to do Mimi's (my other daughter) hair?) Me: " UH no mom, do you want help?" "With what?"
The end.
This is me. Someone asks me how long it will take me to get to a town that I have driven to 100 thousand times before at a time of day that is normal and free of traffic? "How should I know? How would anyone know that? uh....between 10 and 40 minutes?" lol

He then formed this around the "interest practice skill" cycle. He also noted that while personality type was innate, type of intelligence/order of intelligence didn't have to be.
We all have levels of all the intelligences. I would go grab my book, but there is an adorable and comfie kitty on my lap. - for some reason there are no easily available sites.
But if I remember it right -and NF's worst intelligence should be tactical. SO it should go: Diplomatic, strategic, logistical, tactical. However, my father would try to beat rote ideas into my head for hours - if I could beat his tactical intelligence (ESTP) then he actually had a lot of respect for me, so I really applied myself to learn that.

so you are interested, you practice it you acquire skill and you are please with your skill/may have some reward and thus gain more interest.

Yeah so, it depends on the situation really does. My answer is all types. :) But if it happens to be something talk my way out of or has to do with abstract morals. Yay!

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
xSTP. Easy enough to see in everyday life.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Definately an extraverted type. To start of, you need to have the mindset to believe you are 'required to improvise yourself out of a tightspot conforming certain ideals'. An introvert would be more likely to just avoid a tight spot or walk straight back from itl

Perceiver has more options over a Judger. A judger would probably only see one possibly solution, and that might not always work. A perceiver is able to improvise many different solutions, not being too stuck up on details.

Ne seems invaluable and Ti is a good tool to guide that Ne.

ENTP in my opinion.