User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Default What type is the sharpest 'Improviser'?

Exactly what the title says, which type do you think would be able to best improvise their way out of a tight spot. I've heard a couple answers on this and the skill has always interested me. What do you guys think? I'd want to guess (with my limited knowledge) either the ESTP or ENTP..

WALMART

ISTP/ENTP

I am not biased.

Senor Membrae Eugene Watson VIII's Avatar
    MBTI
    iSFP
    Enneagram
    idk sp

A person whos good at ENTP

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

i think it depends on the person more than type, but type does give you a push to right or wrong direction on the 'good improviser' scale. i would say that TPs have the advantage here in general, but ETJs can be as good, if the thing they are doing is their specialty or they had some previous exposure to similar things(in that case they might do even better than TPs). what i have noticed with my ENTP friend and me is that he might be better at intuitively knowing what to do faster(doesent have to think every time when doing something and still his fail rate is amazingly low), but my Ti works 10 times faster, so he might be better at improvising than me in some situations, but i think i would do better than him at others.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Riva

Which improvising are we talking about here? Is it trouble shooting or performing/inventing without preparation.

Assuming it is trouble-shooting theoretically it should be TPs - ISTP > ESTP > INTP > ENTP in order. The natural ability of Ti to take things apart to see how it works combined with Se's immediate noticing of things in the environment would make xSTPs the best at trouble shooting.

Assuming it is producing/creating/inventing without preparation EPs would be the best.

Strangely though INTPs do not seem to have the ability to improvise - immediately find solutions or immediately produce/perform without preparation as the Sensor counterparts though I placed them third in troubleshooting. But if it is finding solutions to complex problems it would be INTPs over the other TPs hands down.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
    Exactly what the title says, which type do you think would be able to best improvise their way out of a tight spot. I've heard a couple answers on this and the skill has always interested me. What do you guys think? I'd want to guess (with my limited knowledge) either the ESTP or ENTP..
    A counter question.
    Which type makes the best pilot?
    A book man or an improviser?
    Perhaps neither.

The book is an expedient safeguard.
    However.

Something goes totally wrong. The book is useless.
    In such cases is it possible an ESTP pilot could save the plane?
    Not any more.

Automation has taken over.
    It is not only aviation.

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    A counter question.
    Which type makes the best pilot?
    A book man or an improviser?
    Perhaps neither.

The book is an expedient safeguard.
    However.

Something goes totally wrong. The book is useless.
    In such cases is it possible an ESTP pilot could save the plane?
    Not any more.

Automation has taken over.
    It is not only aviation.
    @senza_tema this is a good example of Ne gone wild.

Also,

Someone please tell me I am not alone when it comes to losing self when trying to understand/make-sense of WildCat's posts.

I like your posts Wildkitty. Please keep them coming .

Ginkgo

ISTJ

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

ISFJ.

Why?

Because they are obviously the inventors of every innovative and original idea in existence not to mention their complete and utter disregard for authority as they tear down all traditions and conventions assunder!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1

on one hand, should the situation call for improvisation, the ESTP may be much more prepared, given that they're sensors living in the here and now. they don't feel blocked by the pressure, they just see it as something they can work around. they're thinking "bring it". added to their quick thinking, ESTPs are also action-oriented, so they perhaps won't experience the anxiety and fear of it all, which can very much hinder one's abilities and performance. they're not held back by silly little things like pressure.

on the other hand, the ENTP may be more adept. ENTPs are as mentally quick as ESTPs, but ENTPs, unlike ESTPs, don't do things for the thrill as frequently as ESTPs do. the ENTP requires a bit more time than the ESTP to adjust to his situations before he can act on it. an ENTP under pressure isn't always a pretty sight. they're still logical, but they no longer have that charm they're famous for, because their one focus is on saying the right thing, not the delivery.

ENTPs are better at selling their ideas. ESTPs are just more ready to, and its often their ease and confidence that can add to their credibility. ENTPs put more thought and will provide better arguments, ESTPs just see it as dealing with another situation that comes along, like its just another day. for an ENTP, improvisation is more about the fact that he has to do it right. for an ESTP, it's about the fact that he just has to do it.