• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why are there fewer ENTJs and ENFJs on MBTI forums compared to the other N types?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
WTF I thought MBTI was preference related not intelligence related as I find it to be perfectly plausible that some ESFJs could be smarter than some INTPs even if the INTPs preferences are more predisposed for intellectual endeavors though they may not be as skilled in the area of their interests despite perhaps having more interest in these areas than ESFJs. I am sure they are a million other examples though this one should suffice.

G

Glycerine

Yes, because that's EXACTLY what I said.

But some part of it is probably because, on average, they're less intelligent.

An interesting question is whether the ones who do come here are more intelligent than average for their type.

How do you personally define intelligence? I know that there are the IQ based definitions of intelligence but it seems to me that everyone seems to have their own variation based on what they deem important.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How do you personally define intelligence? I know that there are the IQ based definitions of intelligence but it seems to me that everyone seems to have their own variation based on what they deem important.

Yes, this... [MENTION=8413]Zarathustra[/MENTION] I'm genuinely interested - what is your measure of this?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They don't seem to have a big need to be understood and understand themselves, as the world is quite EJ friendly.

My personal theory, anyways.

Lark

Yes, because that's EXACTLY what I said.

You also didn't know who MacGuffin was...

Pretty much what Rex said.

Most ENJs would find spending time on a forum a waste.

Part of that is probably cuz they're busy doing shit in the real world.

But some part of it is probably because, on average, they're less intelligent.

An interesting question is whether the ones who do come here are more intelligent than average for their type.

This is why I'm awesome.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
My guess would be that giving oneself the J-type is a statement. Thats when you say something about you, like that you know what you want or get along with life or that you are good at organisation or whatever you like. Most people who come here tho want to be typed and are more unlikely in that strong psychological position to personify a J-type. Except for the mavericks who make it a strong point to be different. Or the drama queens and kings who think they are untouchable and dont deserve to be loved.

There are many p-types on this forum, I'ld rather give a J label. But my policy is that they have to find out for themselves. And if they wont but are still happy, I was either wrong or not, but I wouldnt care. Imo everybody can go with what he likes as long as he is happy. This's tho no universal thing for anybody cause most people in life need direction and wouldnt be able to give their life a meaning on their very own.

Tessertime

MBTI Type
INTP
Sorry, I don't agree.

That's nice. I ran out of lollies though.

BS, if you are capable of ruling the world, you would not suck another type's dick.

Pictures, or it didn't happen.

Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying here.

Ignorance is bliss my friend, ignorance is bliss.

Go visit Personality Cafe. There are shitloads of them there. You only have a limited time to there because I will take over that place eventually and rape them like they never been raped before.

You must have been butt-hurt by an ENTJ. I've visited personality cafe before; the coffee is to die for; and I didn't particularly take notice of more ENTJs. I'm not the most observational person I'll admit, but the place hasn't become a slave-labor camp.

Tessertime

MBTI Type
INTP
WTF I thought MBTI was preference related not intelligence related as I find it to be perfectly plausible that some ESFJs could be smarter than some INTPs even if the INTPs preferences are more predisposed for intellectual endeavors though they may not be as skilled in the area of their interests despite perhaps having more interest in these areas than ESFJs. I am sure they are a million other examples though this one should suffice.

You are correct, MBTI is not intelligence related. Each person has their own preferences. I could learn about vehicles, and I may one day. Someone like an ESTP may learn about theoretical physics.
Who knows; people are individuals.

Also, keep in mind this saying: You make MBTI. MBTI doesn't make you.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Re: ENJs and Intelligence

I think [MENTION=8413]Zarathustra[/MENTION]'s probably referring to is this study, which found positive correlations between intuition, percieving, thinking, and introversion (in that order) and IQ. Making INTPs the most likely to have high IQ's and ENJs the least likely of the intuitives to have high IQs.

A quick google search reveals that there's not tons out there on this subject that's like, you know, exactly academically rigorous beyond the study I just mentioned. I did find this though from a blog where a guy conducted his own study on the relationship between type and IQ distribution, and this was one of his conclusions. Thought I'd add it:

Politics and Prosperity said:
There is a 31% probability that an INTJ’s IQ places him in the top 2 percent of the population. Next are INFJ, at 14%; ENTJ, 13%; and INTP, 10%. (The next highest type is the ENTP at 4%.) The four types (INTJ, INFJ, ENTJ, AND INTP) account for 72% of the high-IQ population but only 9% of the total population. The top five types (including ENTPs) account for 78% of the high-IQ population but only 12% of the total population.

It's interesting, but then again, the guy couldn't recall where he'd gotten his statistics on IQ from, which somewhat muddies the waters credibility-wise.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I don´t think there are less ENxJs, just lilkey some ENxJs who are mystiped. Besides, it could still be a matter of pure chance.

This thread contains too many post hoc ergo propter hoc explanations.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
You might also ask why the ENJs are the least intelligent of all Ns...

:whistling:

Js are less intelligent period, because so many J questions in MBTI tests basically read like "Do you prefer dumb, boring shit or interesting, novel and complex stuff?" where the first choice will favor a J result, the second a P one, irrespective of one´s real preference.

Many E-I questions can equally be understood as "Do you prefer dumb-jocking around with your flatmates or read Wittgenstein in your single-bedroom apartment?".

No wonder someone scoring high in both E and J can be quickly classified as terribly non-intellectually inclined.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It would be an absolute waste of time, because (a) nothing is being achieved, and (b) there is no control to be had.
This seems most plausible explanation for underrepresentation/stamina of ExxJs on here.

Js are less intelligent period, because so many J questions in MBTI tests basically read like "Do you prefer dumb, boring shit or interesting, novel and complex stuff?" where the first choice will favor a J result, the second a P one, irrespective of one´s real preference.

Many E-I questions can equally be understood as "Do you prefer dumb-jocking around with your flatmates or read Wittgenstein in your single-bedroom apartment?".

No wonder someone scoring high in both E and J can be quickly classified as terribly non-intellectually inclined.
Are we to imply that you like dumb, boring jocking around?

(I think your first question is more representative of N v S than J v P questions)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Are we to imply that you like dumb, boring jocking around?

(I think your first question is more representative of N v S than J v P questions)

1) Sometimes, but then I also enjoy reading Wittgenstein afterwards. No easy answer.

2) Yes, it´s also representative of N vs S, yet there are plenty of J v P questions which sound rather similar i.e. "Do you prefer a stable job or one where there´s lot of daily variety" etc.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team

There are likely geniuses in every type, and there are definitely individuals from any type who are more intelligent than individuals from any other type. But that doesn't mean certain types don't tend to be, on average, more intelligent than other types.

Frankly, I find the discussions on this topic to be very boring and repetitive. They've been had so many times on this forum, and, while I tend not to get very involved in those discussions, as they are usually of a very low quality, with people making dumb arguments on many sides of the question, I've explained my position a number of times, and, frankly, it's more-or-less correct.

Obviously, there are many different types of intelligence. So, what I was referring to was clearly not "social intelligence", or "emotional intelligence", or any of the other many intelligences one may posit (whether Gardner's eight, or some others). Clearly, ENTJs have their own form of "intelligence" (i.e., what they are good at doing), as do ENFJs, so my comment was by no means an attempt to take that form of intelligence away from them either. I genuinely believe those intelligences are important; frankly, they're probably just as, if not more, important than the type of intelligence I was referring to.

So, that being said (and genuinely believed), I still do think that g (general intelligence [i.e., what IQ is supposed to measure]) measures something. And I don't think it's merely "NT intelligence", as some people have inanely tried to argue. If that were the case, then why would INFPs and INFJs tend to have more of it than ENTJs and ENTPs? To an extent, it does tend to be related in some way to N, I think, but I don't think that's a proper excuse to simply write it off. In large part, this is because I don't think someone simply being an N will make them have a higher IQ than someone who is a Sensor (I definitely think there are plenty of Sensors who are more intelligent than plenty of Ns), and I don't think being "more N" makes someone more intelligent.

So, all those things now being said: I think there's a conceptual type of intelligence that has been deemed "intelligence" across many different cultures, for a long amount of time. This is the intelligence of problem-solvers (of whom STs aren't exactly not a part -- and ISTJs, ISTPs, and ESTPs tend to always be at the top of the Sensors, when it comes to intelligence, generally in that order, in the studies I've seen), of people who can think through an issue correctly, follow a line of reasoning properly, make the proper logical deductions (and inductions and abductions), etc.

It's why we can look at a character like Sherlock Holmes, and say that he's intelligent. Or why we think of Leonardo da Vinci, or Plato, or Albert Einstein as being some of the most intelligent human beings who have ever lived.

In our current cultural milieu, people don't like there to be rankings like this, and so saying this stuff, or even believing in some sort of general intelligence, is not politically correct. But I really don't give a shit about that, and, frankly, it's stupid, imo, to think there's nothing to it.

Yes, this... @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/member.php?u=8413" target="_blank">Zarathustra</a> I'm genuinely interested - what is your measure of this?

I think the above should probably answer your question.

This is why I'm awesome.

If you're saying you were just trolling, I'd definitely considered that.

I barely read that thread, but noticed that part as I skimmed.

The thing is, I've seen you be oblivious about enough other things (I'd have to put you and Riva near the top of the "most oblivious members of the forum" list) that it wouldn't be completely out of the realm of possibility.

I think @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/member.php?u=8413" target="_blank">Zarathustra</a>'s probably referring to is this study, which found positive correlations between intuition, percieving, thinking, and introversion (in that order) and IQ. Making INTPs the most likely to have high IQ's and ENJs the least likely of the intuitives to have high IQs.

That's one I've looked at, but there are others.

This is the one whose data I've spent the most time analyzing:
http://psych.wisc.edu/henriques/papers/Sak.pdf

A quick google search reveals that there's not tons out there on this subject that's like, you know, exactly academically rigorous beyond the study I just mentioned.

mmm...

I've seen a good amount of stuff over the years...

I did find this though from a blog where a guy conducted his own study on the relationship between type and IQ distribution, and this was one of his conclusions. Thought I'd add it:

It's interesting, but then again, the guy couldn't recall where he'd gotten his statistics on IQ from, which somewhat muddies the waters credibility-wise.

Yeah, I'd be a bit skeptical about that...

Dude can't remember where he got the statistics from?? :thelook:

It also runs contrary to pretty much everything I've seen on the matter.

The types that regularly perform best on IQ tests are the INs (in order: INTP, INTJ, INFP, INFJ).

I've seen some studies that say INTJs do better than INTPs, and some that say INTPs do better than INTJs.

I don't think I've seen any where the INs weren't in the top four, nor any where the ENJs weren't in the bottom two for Ns.

I don´t think there are less ENxJs, just lilkey some ENxJs who are mystiped. Besides, it could still be a matter of pure chance.

I disagree here.

I think there are definitely less ENJs, compared to their % of the population.

I agree here, though.

I think this is one of the factors that leads to skewed results wrt intelligence.

It's the same argument that smart people tend to test as iNtuitives, even if they're Sensors.

I think both are true, but I also don't think they explain the entirety of the differences observed.

This thread contains too many post hoc ergo propter hoc explanations.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1) Sometimes, but then I also enjoy reading Wittgenstein afterwards. No easy answer.
Sooo complex and witty too! :wubbie:

2) Yes, it´s also representative of N vs S, yet there are plenty of J v P questions which sound rather similar i.e. "Do you prefer a stable job or one where there´s lot of daily variety" etc.
That doesn't say anything about intelligence though, rather, it implies that you equate "stability" with "dumb boring shit".
Sure you're a J? ;)

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ENFJ's are out shepherding, of course. Building up their cult leader status. :laugh:

As for ENTJ's, I'd say the song below sums up why they're not as active on the forum:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
That doesn't say anything about intelligence though, rather, it implies that you equate "stability" with "dumb boring shit".
Sure you're a J? ;)

Well, it´s (imho) pretty clear that someone whose preference goes towards solving a wide array of different problems will generally be perceived as more what-is-socially-considered-intelligent compared to someone else whose preference tends towards relatively repetitive tasks. I surely may be wrong but that´s the basis of my conjecture, namely that people who will score very high on J might eventually cluster in a relatively lower "g-factor" group.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, it´s (imho) pretty clear that someone whose preference goes towards solving a wide array of different problems will generally be perceived as more what-is-socially-considered-intelligent compared to someone else whose preference tends towards relatively repetitive tasks. I surely may be wrong but that´s the basis of my conjecture, namely that people who will score very high on J might eventually cluster in a relatively lower "g-factor" group.
Stable doesn't have to mean repetitive. I think you're reading way more into these terms than they deserve.
Actually, J correlates pretty well with the Big 5 "conscientiousness" dimension. And highly conscientious types tend to perform best in standard education (and in life, generally).