• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Video case study of Extroverted Feeling vs. Introverted Feeling

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I thought this was very good. I'd like to see more.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
As a social dominant, I would have been as aware as Carey Mulligan about the sitting posture, said the same kinds of "oh is this ok?" stuff. Likely I would have already considered sitting that way inappropriate due to placing my shoes on a light beige couch. Undoubtedly, she is aware of her elevated celebrity status and knew this was a social faux-pas she would probably get away with in this context.

Nor are Fe values "universal" - they're only universal to the specific context of the Fe community. These standards would vary greatly in different parts of the world.

Again, as an so-dom, I would have done the same smoothing as Carey wrt Andrew's statements. I would have restated his words for him and assured him he didn't talk too much etc.

Just throwing that out there ... it's something that always glares out at me in these discussions. I, as an Fi-dom so-dom, do LOTS of the supposed Fe things. It's just not so cut-and-dried to me.

Plus, this maybe doesn't take gender into account either ... women are more groomed to the social niceties in general.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nor are Fe values "universal" - they're only universal to the specific context of the Fe community. These standards would vary greatly in different parts of the world.

I would agree (in fact, when I saw this video earlier, that was the one part that bothered me most). I might phrase it as Fe is aimed at optimizing things for the group's harmony, and Fi is more about optimizing things for the individual's harmony (with an individual's own values and characteristics). The paradox is, of course, that eventually both approaches can encompass one another, since human beings are neither entirely autonomous, nor do we exist merely to fill roles.

Again, as an so-dom, I would have done the same smoothing as Carey wrt Andrew's statements. I would have restated his words for him and assured him he didn't talk too much etc.

Me, too (sx-dom). I do lots of mirroring and restating when interacting with folks. There are some cases when I don't mirror or expect mirroring: I find I don't tend to expect others to either get enthusiastic about what I find exciting, nor do I expect people to be upset on my behalf (or take my side when there is a dispute).

Just throwing that out there ... it's something that always glares out at me in these discussions. I, as an Fi-dom so-dom, do LOTS of the supposed Fe things. It's just not so cut-and-dried to me.

Me, too (substituting "LOTS" for "some," in my case).

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
So a great deal of people tell me I 'ooze' Fe.

So why do I relate almost entirely with the Fi aspects of this video? It's probably for some odd...environment reason. I am Fe, but one thing I dont do is feel the emotions of others as mine.

Regardless, that was very very interesting. Albeit, not quite as new as id have hoped in terms of information.

Are there any more videos like this?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As usual I think I have elements of both. I think it's very common for me to go on mini-'tirades'/elaborations on what I think/feel, if asked a question, even if it is unrelated to those in the room, and trying to express and convey what I think. Basically, the whole 'sincerity' component of the video is very important to me and I think I am known as being a very honest and 'real' person, even if I aim for diplomacy as well. However, I'm aware of various things such as demonstrated by the Fe person in the video, and do the mirroring thing, tend to be aware of what would be 'appropriate' based on the people I'm with, etc.

That said, I can see how both examples contrast what Fi and Fe tend to embody, in terms of peoples' understandings and definitions of each; I just think in reality things can become more muddied and unless someone is completely b&w in their preferences, many might identify with elements of both. (also as [MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION] alludes to, enneagram can impact things, as can other aspects of self)

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
nice. one thing i noticed which you didnt mention here. when that guy(forgot his name already :D ) was talking long and then went like 'omg, did i just talk for too long?', its typical Fi behavior imo, first do stuff neglecting others, then feeling bad about it. Fe users usually dont do stuff without thinking for others and then feeling bad about it(not that Fi users always notice inappropriate behavior at all or always do inappropriate things), but Fe users tend to work in real time regarding to this sort of stuff. Like not doing the inappropriate thing at all or making sure that others arent bothered by it, before they take it so far that they feel the need to apologize.

also, i think Fi dom types are most likely to do something and then feel bad about it. Fi aux tends to perceive other peoples reactions more easily and not start feeling bad about doing something as easily, since dom Pe is more in tune with the external world and is able to see if people get pissed off about something they are doing and if they dont perceive it, they dont feel the need to feel bad. when it comes to Fi tert and inferior, i think this feeling bad about this sort of stuff is neglected in perceptions too, unlike Fi aux. however they use Te and Ji for knowing what to do and what not to do, but it requires them to learn this stuff and care about it. also Fi aux i think can utilize tert Te to learn(or more like remember learned) when something is inappropriate and when it is not, more so than Fi dom with inferior Te.

Also when it comes to Fe users(at least aux tert and inferior), i think they dont tend to feel bad about for talking too long(or stuff they say), because if they do talk for long or something similar, its most likely justified to them.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
great idea and great video! please do more cognitive functions!!

a couple of suggestions, please dont be offended:
- the video might be a bit too long and people might lose interest. i could easily read the writing in half the time, maybe you could shorten that!?
- as you said, you are comparing a dom with an aux. maybe for the next videos for "scientific accuracy" you might want to compare dominant functions users?

(also, what makes you think they are INFP and INFJ and not ISFP and ISFJ, for instance?)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting. I am
- an Fi/Te user
- double Id (not known for their empathy or support)
and
- Sp/Sx (both Sp dom and Social last)

and, while I related to Fi much more in this clip, it appears my Fe is not quite as bad as I thought it was, though I think what I'm really doing is using Ne and a softer version of Te to "diagnose" people's issues but taking away the blame aspect of it.

Permabanned
As a social dominant, I would have been as aware as Carey Mulligan about the sitting posture, said the same kinds of "oh is this ok?" stuff. Likely I would have already considered sitting that way inappropriate due to placing my shoes on a light beige couch. Undoubtedly, she is aware of her elevated celebrity status and knew this was a social faux-pas she would probably get away with in this context.

Plus, this maybe doesn't take gender into account either ... women are more groomed to the social niceties in general.

R u saying typology is a lie? :greatscott:

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
It seems to me that behaviors only tell half the story. Understanding internal context for behaviors is equally important. This is the weakness with over analyzing behaviors without the benefit of understanding what the motivation for those behaviors is.

^^^^^
This being said, I think the video does a pretty good job of putting behaviors in context.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is what occurred to me while watching (in the way of criticism):

“If you watch the full length interview, you will see that Garfield rarely demonstrates awareness of what is appropriate or checks in to see how Mulligan or the interviewer are responding to what he is saying.”

There’s little doubt in my mind that I’m J (and so supposedly, Fe, albeit aux) and I do this myself. It’s like my focus either goes to observing or participating, but I’m not very good at doing both- so if I become engaged in a topic, my awareness of how others are responding or appropriateness can fall to the wayside. Because of this, though, I usually need to quietly observe for a little while within any foreign environment before I participate in anything. And when I do jump into participating in an environment I’m not particularly familiar with, I’m usually left worrying in retrospect about whether or not I spastically monopolized a conversation or behaved inappropriately. Sometimes afterwards some cue I took note of will only register in retrospect as an indication I should have modified my behavior- but my awareness of what that cue means in the moment can get eclipsed easily if I’m engaged enough in the discussion.

It’s hard to comment on this because what he’s complaining about in this video is actually something I already feel strongly about myself. I’m inclined to think the difference between myself and a Fi’er who also has strong feelings about it is that my priority- in talking about it- is figuring out who to say it to (where it might make a difference) and how to say it in a way which makes it most palatable, whereas a Fi’er might say it aloud from some need to express it? Although I guess in that position I might drop “Well yeah, I have strong opinions about public education” before actually delving into a tangent- to watch expressions and find out if it’s worthwhile to further explain my position- but if I’d become accustomed to being interviewed and my experience had been that I almost always get asked to expound then I’d go ahead and go on the tangent before being asked to.

“Their emotions tend to be either directed at or shared by the people around them- not felt ‘in their bubble’.”

I’m more inclined to say it’s preoccupying to have feelings that aren’t mirrored by anyone- but it’s not like they go away when they aren’t shared. For example- the pressure for children to conform to something that isn’t self-actualizing for them personally is upsetting to me. But if I’m around people who do not share in this opinion, it doesn’t go away for me. I’ll refrain from going on a tangent about it until I can figure out how to make my argument appeal to them (by learning about their values and figuring out some common ground)- but until I can find some semblance of a way to merge others’ values with my own, I’m distracted by that difference and distracted by the urge to understand why something is important to me and not important to others. Stuff is definitely felt ‘in a bubble’, but I suspect I become more preoccupied than the average Fi’er with figuring out why it’s ‘in a bubble’ instead of being a shared value. There just seems to be more of a sense of urgency in understanding why that value is ‘in a bubble’, why it isn’t more ‘universal’- and that doesn’t seem to be *as* distracting to Fi’ers.

“They are also not above telling white lies to make others feel better. Hence Mulligan’s reassurance may not be sincere- maybe she thinks that Garfield talked for too long.”

The truth is that I might notice someone has talked longer than I’d feel comfortable talking about something myself, but it doesn’t mean I ‘secretly’ automatically tag that observation with some kind of internal judgment. This might be the Ni > Fe talking, but I don’t share it because it would feel rather self-absorbed and egocentric to think my immediate impression should really matter to anyone else. I’d need to see the person doing it consistently and gleam that it was a problem for other people as well before attaching enough weight to a “this person probably talked too long” judgment to see any point in sharing that opinion. [Also, I don’t really trust immediate judgments- I’m reserved about sharing them because I want to make sure it’s not just selfish impatience on my part.]

+1 As a supposed ‘Fe’er’ and least so variant, I find a lot of things considered ‘Fe’ just don’t resonate much with me. It seems to me that so-dom Fi’ers are often more aware of how their behavior is being perceived by everyone than least-so Fe’ers, for one.

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I saw this interview in full a few months ago and it became clear to me that Garfield was Fi-dom. INFJ makes sense for Carey Mulligan.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It seems to me that behaviors only tell half the story. Understanding internal context for behaviors is equally important. This is the weakness with over analyzing behaviors without the benefit of understanding what the motivation for those behaviors is.

^^^^^
This being said, I think the video does a pretty good job of putting behaviors in context.

This reminds me of why I changed from INTP to ISTP. I was over at INTPc replying to posts and I was like WTF. Have you even asked the person anything to dig deeper and I was ignored. Theory trumped reality and I didnt understand that at all.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Remove Fi and Fe and you have me!!!! :D Lack of appropriateness and lack of that Fi. I will always back up Fi though by helping make sense, I do this automatically and almost wonder if its part of Ti/Ni as opposed to Fe. I have been told by alot of people that they enjoy talking to me because I listen and try to understand, I attempt to apply logic to what it is that Fi feels/says and to actually understand where they are coming from...not emotionally, but mentally.

My ex who is Fe dominant more tries to make connections between her life and the other person instead of actually understanding. She tends to take in half of what is said and makes connections off of that. Like she is connecting based on feelings even though when it comes down to understanding things she lacks that big time. I dont say this based off of mine and her interactions, but watching her interact with other people for years.

Based off this interview the types that were pinned on the people seemed pretty good.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This was awesome! Totally want to see more like this!

Apostolos

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I really liked that video..

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Great idea for a video, it really helps to see the functions in motion. I can't speak for the Fe users out there but the Fi parts fit me to a tee. That said, I probably would've responded the way she did unless he'd said something I disagreed with. I just wouldn't have responded as adroitly.

Anyone else suspicious that this thread is intended as an ongoing demonstration of the functions? :unsure:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Interesting video. I think I can see both in myself but I think I relate more to the Fi in the case maybe because Fe is in the inferior spot. I don't think I'd worry too much at first about how I was sitting but I think I'd also notice if I was sitting differently than other people on the couch or if I was taking up too much space. I wouldn't be putting my shoes on the couch but that's something I could have seen myself do when I was younger.

I have to be careful not to go on rants about topics which I feel passionate about. Usually I check with others to make sure I'm not boring them and not turning them off. Like the Fe user, I try to provide reassurance to others but probably comes across more awkwardly than how she did it.

I want to similar videos for the other 3 function pairs.