User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    R u saying typology is a lie?
    I think I'm saying behaviours don't necessarily predict type.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

It seems to me that behaviors only tell half the story. Understanding internal context for behaviors is equally important. This is the weakness with over analyzing behaviors without the benefit of understanding what the motivation for those behaviors is.

^^^^^
    This being said, I think the video does a pretty good job of putting behaviors in context.
    ENFP with kick*ss Te | 7w8 so | ♀

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

This is what occurred to me while watching (in the way of criticism):

“If you watch the full length interview, you will see that Garfield rarely demonstrates awareness of what is appropriate or checks in to see how Mulligan or the interviewer are responding to what he is saying.”

There’s little doubt in my mind that I’m J (and so supposedly, Fe, albeit aux) and I do this myself. It’s like my focus either goes to observing or participating, but I’m not very good at doing both- so if I become engaged in a topic, my awareness of how others are responding or appropriateness can fall to the wayside. Because of this, though, I usually need to quietly observe for a little while within any foreign environment before I participate in anything. And when I do jump into participating in an environment I’m not particularly familiar with, I’m usually left worrying in retrospect about whether or not I spastically monopolized a conversation or behaved inappropriately. Sometimes afterwards some cue I took note of will only register in retrospect as an indication I should have modified my behavior- but my awareness of what that cue means in the moment can get eclipsed easily if I’m engaged enough in the discussion.

It’s hard to comment on this because what he’s complaining about in this video is actually something I already feel strongly about myself. I’m inclined to think the difference between myself and a Fi’er who also has strong feelings about it is that my priority- in talking about it- is figuring out who to say it to (where it might make a difference) and how to say it in a way which makes it most palatable, whereas a Fi’er might say it aloud from some need to express it? Although I guess in that position I might drop “Well yeah, I have strong opinions about public education” before actually delving into a tangent- to watch expressions and find out if it’s worthwhile to further explain my position- but if I’d become accustomed to being interviewed and my experience had been that I almost always get asked to expound then I’d go ahead and go on the tangent before being asked to.

“Their emotions tend to be either directed at or shared by the people around them- not felt ‘in their bubble’.”

I’m more inclined to say it’s preoccupying to have feelings that aren’t mirrored by anyone- but it’s not like they go away when they aren’t shared. For example- the pressure for children to conform to something that isn’t self-actualizing for them personally is upsetting to me. But if I’m around people who do not share in this opinion, it doesn’t go away for me. I’ll refrain from going on a tangent about it until I can figure out how to make my argument appeal to them (by learning about their values and figuring out some common ground)- but until I can find some semblance of a way to merge others’ values with my own, I’m distracted by that difference and distracted by the urge to understand why something is important to me and not important to others. Stuff is definitely felt ‘in a bubble’, but I suspect I become more preoccupied than the average Fi’er with figuring out why it’s ‘in a bubble’ instead of being a shared value. There just seems to be more of a sense of urgency in understanding why that value is ‘in a bubble’, why it isn’t more ‘universal’- and that doesn’t seem to be *as* distracting to Fi’ers.

“They are also not above telling white lies to make others feel better. Hence Mulligan’s reassurance may not be sincere- maybe she thinks that Garfield talked for too long.”

The truth is that I might notice someone has talked longer than I’d feel comfortable talking about something myself, but it doesn’t mean I ‘secretly’ automatically tag that observation with some kind of internal judgment. This might be the Ni > Fe talking, but I don’t share it because it would feel rather self-absorbed and egocentric to think my immediate impression should really matter to anyone else. I’d need to see the person doing it consistently and gleam that it was a problem for other people as well before attaching enough weight to a “this person probably talked too long” judgment to see any point in sharing that opinion. [Also, I don’t really trust immediate judgments- I’m reserved about sharing them because I want to make sure it’s not just selfish impatience on my part.]

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Just throwing that out there ... it's something that always glares out at me in these discussions. I, as an Fi-dom so-dom, do LOTS of the supposed Fe things. It's just not so cut-and-dried to me.
    +1 As a supposed ‘Fe’er’ and least so variant, I find a lot of things considered ‘Fe’ just don’t resonate much with me. It seems to me that so-dom Fi’ers are often more aware of how their behavior is being perceived by everyone than least-so Fe’ers, for one.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I saw this interview in full a few months ago and it became clear to me that Garfield was Fi-dom. INFJ makes sense for Carey Mulligan.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric Wench View Post
    It seems to me that behaviors only tell half the story. Understanding internal context for behaviors is equally important. This is the weakness with over analyzing behaviors without the benefit of understanding what the motivation for those behaviors is.

^^^^^
    This being said, I think the video does a pretty good job of putting behaviors in context.
    This reminds me of why I changed from INTP to ISTP. I was over at INTPc replying to posts and I was like WTF. Have you even asked the person anything to dig deeper and I was ignored. Theory trumped reality and I didnt understand that at all.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    STP

Remove Fi and Fe and you have me!!!! Lack of appropriateness and lack of that Fi. I will always back up Fi though by helping make sense, I do this automatically and almost wonder if its part of Ti/Ni as opposed to Fe. I have been told by alot of people that they enjoy talking to me because I listen and try to understand, I attempt to apply logic to what it is that Fi feels/says and to actually understand where they are coming from...not emotionally, but mentally.

My ex who is Fe dominant more tries to make connections between her life and the other person instead of actually understanding. She tends to take in half of what is said and makes connections off of that. Like she is connecting based on feelings even though when it comes down to understanding things she lacks that big time. I dont say this based off of mine and her interactions, but watching her interact with other people for years.

Based off this interview the types that were pinned on the people seemed pretty good.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

This was awesome! Totally want to see more like this!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I really liked that video..
    | Not a native English speaker |
    Head: 5 Heart: 4 Gut: 9

MBTI
    INFP

Great idea for a video, it really helps to see the functions in motion. I can't speak for the Fe users out there but the Fi parts fit me to a tee. That said, I probably would've responded the way she did unless he'd said something I disagreed with. I just wouldn't have responded as adroitly.

Anyone else suspicious that this thread is intended as an ongoing demonstration of the functions?

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Interesting video. I think I can see both in myself but I think I relate more to the Fi in the case maybe because Fe is in the inferior spot. I don't think I'd worry too much at first about how I was sitting but I think I'd also notice if I was sitting differently than other people on the couch or if I was taking up too much space. I wouldn't be putting my shoes on the couch but that's something I could have seen myself do when I was younger.

I have to be careful not to go on rants about topics which I feel passionate about. Usually I check with others to make sure I'm not boring them and not turning them off. Like the Fe user, I try to provide reassurance to others but probably comes across more awkwardly than how she did it.

I want to similar videos for the other 3 function pairs.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne