User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Default Gender Roles and MBTI

Sorry, my English aren't that good. I was thinking about gender roles and MBTI. I am new here and I am not very familiar with Myers-Briggs typology yet. I think a xSFJ type is close to the female gender sterotype (supporting, loving, understanding, loyal, kind, sympathetic etc. mother/wife) while an ExTx type is more close to male gender stereotype (extroverted, logical etc.).. I might be wrong though.. What's your opinion?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

In general (IMO), you have correctly assessed the Western world's expectations for male and female.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    AVC

I believe NTs in general are considered to be predominantly male.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Either can gender can be either T or F, [of course]. But because females are naturally designed to be the mothers, carrying and nurturing the young child, their natural focus has shifted more to the "humane" or "personal" side of life. (Including being more in touch with the emotions). Since males then were the breadwinners, and the strong protectors, they became more focused on the "technical" or "impersonal". The traditional roles of society formed around this, with the typical model of a woman being said to be SFJ or SFP, and the typical model of a man being STJ or at least STP. (Notice how both are S). Even though modern society has been changing the roles and integrating both genders to the same sorts of careers and family tasks, the associations have stuck.

This can cause type confusion for female T's, and both type and "masculinity" problems for male F's. I have noticed particularly that female ITJ's (especially ISTJ's) and ETP's, who both have tertiary Feeling, will look a lot like Feelers. Male EFP's and I imagine, IFJ's (particularly INFJ) will have tertiary Thinking, and are said to look a lot like Thinkers. The tertiary , recall, is often carried by a "child" complex that is said to "inflate". This will lead to it becoming very visible in the personality, so a woman's tertiary Feeling, especially, will often be very prominent and color their outward behavior, fitting the traditional roles.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I am well known by now for beating a dead horse over the fact that so many people seem to type their mothers and grandmothers as xSFJ (especially ESFJ). I am pretty sure that gender stereotypes feed into this and that a lot of people either approach the question with the view that their female relatives MUST be xSFJ (especially if you're an INTx who doesn't get along with your mom), or else a lot of women may be socialized to act that way but could actually be another type.

(I'm not saying there aren't a lot of xSFJ women out there, but I am saying that it's not 99%.)
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    AVC

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I am well known by now for beating a dead horse over the fact that so many people seem to type their mothers and grandmothers as xSFJ (especially ESFJ). I am pretty sure that gender stereotypes feed into this and that a lot of people either approach the question with the view that their female relatives MUST be xSFJ (especially if you're an INTx who doesn't get along with your mom), or else a lot of women may be socialized to act that way but could actually be another type.

(I'm not saying there aren't a lot of xSFJ women out there, but I am saying that it's not 99%.)
    I typed my grandmother as an ISFJ, but after discussing it with her I believe she is an ISTJ. I think a lot of it does come down to stereotypical views on gender roles.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    AVC

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post

I typed my grandmother as an ISFJ, but after discussing it with her I believe she is an ISTJ. I think a lot of it does come down to stereotypical views on gender roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Grublet View Post
    I am pretty sure mine was an ISTJ too.

ISTJ grannies WOOOH!

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

It gets really exciting when someone bravely steps forward and says their mom/granny isn't an SJ.

Mind you, I am fairly sure my grandmothers were both SJs. But that said...I didn't really know either of them that well...so this could be another assumptions/socializing thing.

EDIT: I started a whole thread a while back about the question of why everyone typed their mom/granny as xSFJ. And I was pretty horrified by the number of people who (apparently seriously) said things like "well, SPs are more interested in having fun, NTs are intellectual, and NFs want to do charity work...so yeah. Most women who have babies are SJs."

Yeah, for thousands of years women have been looking at themselves and saying "I'm not an SJ, so I'm not going to let my husband have sex with me because I don't want to get pregnant, or I'm an NT who has accidentally fallen pregnant, so I'm going to have an abortion."
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Female's are generally ESF and males are generally EST I would think.