User Tag List

First 456

I guess it depends on what gender roles mean to you. In the classic sense of men being the hunters and women being gatherers, I don't know if one type would be more prone to a certain role. Could it be attached to personality with one type being more likely to? Certainly, but it has so much to do with environment and life experiences that it would be difficult to necessarily stereotype.

For myself as an ENTP if I had to fit a stereotype, I would be more of a dominant role in my interactions with the opposite gender and would lean more towards the classically male roles. In many aspects of the mating game I'm more assertive - I'll approach men first (usually, with some encouragement sometimes), I'll state my intentions, and if something will be established I'm quite dominant - sexually and relationship wise. That being said, I'm not sure if that dominance is entirely based on me, but a combination of my big personality and hatred of playing games, and the lack of initiative I find from those I've been romantically involved with. Maybe I just attract type B men who like to be lead, which forces me to assume a dominant role.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by allosaurus View Post
    I guess it depends on what gender roles mean to you. In the classic sense of men being the hunters and women being gatherers, I don't know if one type would be more prone to a certain role. Could it be attached to personality with one type being more likely to? Certainly, but it has so much to do with environment and life experiences that it would be difficult to necessarily stereotype.

For myself as an ENTP if I had to fit a stereotype, I would be more of a dominant role in my interactions with the opposite gender and would lean more towards the classically male roles. In many aspects of the mating game I'm more assertive - I'll approach men first (usually, with some encouragement sometimes), I'll state my intentions, and if something will be established I'm quite dominant - sexually and relationship wise. That being said, I'm not sure if that dominance is entirely based on me, but a combination of my big personality and hatred of playing games, and the lack of initiative I find from those I've been romantically involved with. Maybe I just attract type B men who like to be lead, which forces me to assume a dominant role.
    The OP, which is already a few years old, asked about correspondence of certain MBTI types to gender roles. If we look just at the stereotypical gender roles in western cultures, one can certainly associate some more with traditional female roles and expectations, and others with traditional male ones. Mostly this will fall on the T/F divide, but other functions will play into it as well, keeping in mind as others have already mentioned that there are multiple traditional roles for each gender in terms of E/I, J/P, etc.

In a way, though, this is just drawing parallels between one set of abstractions and another. It is another matter altogether to apply either set of abstractions to real people, especially in an individual rather than statistical way. People argue about the degree to which MBTI types describe real humans, but at least there are 16 of them, and they attempt to describe the fundamental ways in which people see the world around them and make choices in life. Gender, at least in the traditional model, gives us only two choices, and to the degree that it attempts to describe more than indisputable physiology, significantly overextends itself in an insupportable way. This is why I have found that type says much more about how a person operates than gender. I am much more like men of my type, for instance, than women of significantly diffent types. Doesn't mean we can't get along and be friends even, just that we are different on much more fundamental levels than we are similar just due to our shared female physiology.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes yama liked this post