User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

It wasn't easy to figure out but I had typed my mother as an ESTP. She took the test and I was right.
    I believe that my father is IStJ. Their relationship is not perfect but good in general. I believe that both of them don't match their expected gender stereotypes. However, they don't have any significant problem, I think.
    | Not a native English speaker |
    Head: 5 Heart: 4 Gut: 9

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I do have to ask...if it's considered normal for a very large majority of mothers/grandmothers to be xSFJ (which many if not most typologists here at least seem to think it is), how come many/most fathers and grandfathers aren't typed as xSTJ? I mean sure, there are some, but it's nothing like the female xSFJ dominance.

I'd say the same rules should apply...

EDIT: From having another trawl through the main "what type are your family/friends" thread, I'd say that not only are a lot of fathers/grandfathers not typed as xSTJ, but the majority aren't. I did see quite a few ESTJ dads, but there were tons of ENTJs and ENTPs. Also quite a few ISFJs, ESFPs and ESTPs. Not nearly as many ISTJs as you'd think.

If most moms/grandmothers really are xSFJ, it certainly stands to reason that the vast majority of fathers are xSTJ. I see no reason to think that more males are Ns, for instance.

So why the discrepancy?
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Quote Originally Posted by Apostolos View Post
    Sorry, my English aren't that good. I was thinking about gender roles and MBTI. I am new here and I am not very familiar with Myers-Briggs typology yet. I think a xSFJ type is close to the female gender sterotype (supporting, loving, understanding, loyal, kind, sympathetic etc. mother/wife) while an ExTx type is more close to male gender stereotype (extroverted, logical etc.).. I might be wrong though.. What's your opinion?
    You are right on target, IMO. Male feelers and female thinkers have to work a lot on appearing more acceptable to their respective societies. I do think testosterone and estrogen play a big role in this, so male feelers and female thinkers can "cover" better on some things because of hormones, but still - it's harder for them to live up to those role expectations. Good insight.

MBTI
    INTJ

Theoretical distributions say there's lots of SJs - find ten people, odds are 2 are SFJ and another 2 are STJ. Another supposed distribution puts the odds of the average woman being SFJ at about 3 in 10.

Moi? ISFJ mommy, ESFJ Sis--jackpot.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    Theoretical distributions say there's lots of SJs - find ten people, odds are 2 are SFJ and another 2 are STJ. Another supposed distribution puts the odds of the average woman being SFJ at about 3 in 10.

Moi? ISFJ mommy, ESFJ Sis--jackpot.
    I'm not disputing there are a lot of SJs - there definitely are.

What I am disputing, in part, is why so many people's parent pairings look something like: INTP dad/ISFJ mom. ENTJ dad/ISFJ mom. ENTP dad/ESFJ mom. ISFJ dad/ESFJ mom. ISTP dad/ESFJ mom.

In case I haven't already made it abundantly clear (which I no doubt have, so apologies) - I think a lot of people are using their not-so-good relationships with their moms, and the fact that women have been forced into stereotypical boxes for centuries, to conclude that their mom has to be an xSFJ. Apparently dad is free to be anything he likes, including Feelers (which shouldn't be so common for men, by this reasoning - but seems quite common), Intuitives, etc.

Seriously, go look at the thread about types of family members. Massive variety in fathers' types. Much, much smaller variety in mothers' types, and millions of xSFJs. I don't think any typological theory bears that out.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INTJ

By the bye, the MBTI manual has a brief case study/story on using the MBTI in other cultures. When the MBTI more or less as is was tested on some particular African culture group, ISFJ males kept scoring as ISTJ though they were known, somehow, to be F. The suggestion was (something like--I forget--) the particular cultural expression used by males in that grouping meant the genuinely F males identified with what is used to express T in whatever cultural zone the relevant version of the MBTI was originally put together.

Meaning, I guess, (and very loosely guess at that) SFJs are the moms in the west and the warriors in Africa.

Which is to say, yeah, I see what you're saying about people identifying women in certain roles as SFJ rather than checking in with the women themselves and finding out who they are. People generally suck at typing. And are sexist.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    STP

I think that Females usually have a stonger F side and Males a stronger T side within the same type. Granted an ISTP Female isnt gonna be very F, but it seems like they will be more F then there male counterpart. Though a INFP Male will have a WHOLE LOT more F then an ISTP female.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    So why the discrepancy?
    Well, for one thing, you are comparing a sample of the population at large vs the denizens of this forum (the latter is affected by self-selection bias, if that were not clear enough). So it does not "stand to reason" at all. It would be an unsurprising finding, but not a necessary one.

Since we know that INXXs are significantly overrepresented here, it's also not surprising that their parents/siblings should depart from the norm. Are there really that many more N fathers reported? I don't know, you'd have to do some proper research to prove your point. ("Tons" isn't statistically meaningful.)
    Last edited by Salomé; 10-27-2012 at 08:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Im an xSFJ and I type myself a grandmother.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I am pretty sure mine was an ISTJ too.

ISTJ grannies WOOOH!
    :<

I find that interesting, because I assumed people 'envision' ISTJs as predominantly male. People online mistake my gender for male pretty often just based on how I talk and (at least here) my MBTI type. I had considered ISTJ a more 'masculine' type.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~