User Tag List

First 1234 Last

As far as gender stereotypes, I think there are two sets:
    • reserved, strong/silent male + bubbly socialite female
    • devoted and dutifully nurturing female + aggressive dominant male

I have heard that the only MBTI dimension with any correlation to gender was the T/F dimension, with men statistically more likely to be T and women statistically more likely to be F.

@SilkRoad My grandma was fierce and rigid, no-nonsense, reserved and very practical but tender toward those she cared about. My grandparents had fairly traditional gender roles, grandpa was the one who hunted and fixed the cars and appliances, worked in the factory and built the house, my grandma was the one who cleaned the house, fed and clothed her children. But in terms of personality, grandma was the "harsher" one, while grandpa the more jolly and tender one. My mom I think struggled with feeling like she never could please my grandma.

Of course, they lived in rural Adirondacks and never had a computer or took the MBTI and are both dead now, so no chance to ever know. But if I had to say, I would guess ISTJ grandma and ISxP grandpa, leaning toward ISFP.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Grublet View Post
    I typed my grandmother as an ISFJ, but after discussing it with her I believe she is an ISTJ. I think a lot of it does come down to stereotypical views on gender roles.
    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I am pretty sure mine was an ISTJ too.

ISTJ grannies WOOOH!
    ISTJ females, in particular look very SFJ'ish, because of the tertiary Fi, coupled with the dom. Si that maintains the cultural roles.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I am well known by now for beating a dead horse over the fact that so many people seem to type their mothers and grandmothers as xSFJ (especially ESFJ). I am pretty sure that gender stereotypes feed into this and that a lot of people either approach the question with the view that their female relatives MUST be xSFJ (especially if you're an INTx who doesn't get along with your mom), or else a lot of women may be socialized to act that way but could actually be another type.

(I'm not saying there aren't a lot of xSFJ women out there, but I am saying that it's not 99%.)
    +1

The only reason why I don't beat that dead horse too, is that you would make my dead-horse-beating unnecessary.
    Oh wait...
    Quote Originally Posted by Grublet View Post
    I typed my grandmother as an ISFJ, but after discussing it with her I believe she is an ISTJ. I think a lot of it does come down to stereotypical views on gender roles.
    I'm not questioning your typing of your grandmother -- but I think another issue is that people think that if your grandmother is traditional, then she's an SJ. Frankly, if your grandmother is traditional, then she's in the majority; any older generation will come across that way. It's part of the territory.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Well, my mother is a clear ENTP. So there.

As for her mother, that's a bit harder to say. An extrovert and a sensor and a feeler...at least that's what the anecdotes point to.
    My paternal grandma might have been an ISFP.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

It gets really exciting when someone bravely steps forward and says their mom/granny isn't an SJ.
    Anecdotes excite you. How...peculiar. What do statistics do to you?
    http://www.capt.org/mbti-assessment/...requencies.htm

EDIT: I started a whole thread a while back about the question of why everyone typed their mom/granny as xSFJ.
    I didn't type my SFJ mother, she typed herself. I'd be delighted to provide you/myself with an alternate reality, but thems the breaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    As far as gender stereotypes, I think there are two sets:
    • reserved, strong/silent male + bubbly socialite female
    • devoted and dutifully nurturing female + aggressive dominant male
    I think this is good, and I think you're right about the two 'versions' of gender stereotypes. (at least here in the U.S.)

Sadly ( Not really, but, I think it can play a role in the dating scene and other venues and age groups), I am neither a bubbly socialite (EF) or devoted and dutiful caregiver (SJ/SFJ).

Neither is my mother, though. She's an ISTJ and devoted/dutiful, but she's not the caregiving uber-nurturing sort, and I know she never really felt she fit in with many women.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post

I didn't type my SFJ mother, she typed herself. I'd be delighted to provide you/myself with an alternate reality, but thems the breaks.
    I very much doubt that every xSFJ female relative typed themselves. Remarkable numbers of people aren't interested in MBTI.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    AVC

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I believe that my grandmothers are ESTJ and ESFP. I find both annoying but I prefer the second one. The ESTJ(?) one is smarter and honest, the ESFP(?) one is caring and fun.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

I am well known by now for beating a dead horse over the fact that so many people seem to type their mothers and grandmothers as xSFJ (especially ESFJ). I am pretty sure that gender stereotypes feed into this and that a lot of people either approach the question with the view that their female relatives MUST be xSFJ (especially if you're an INTx who doesn't get along with your mom), or else a lot of women may be socialized to act that way but could actually be another type.

(I'm not saying there aren't a lot of xSFJ women out there, but I am saying that it's not 99%.)
    My mom is an ESFJ. I think her mom might have been an ENFP. I don't know about my dad's mom, other than E.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz