• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why so many mistyped or wannabee INTJs?

Kayness

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
it seems like everyone think they're correctly typed and when they see anyone who claim to be of the same type as they are but for don't act or think in the same way that they do (or the type's stock stereotypes) they say that that person is mistyped

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
it seems like everyone think they're correctly typed and when they see anyone who claim to be of the same type as they are but for don't act or think in the same way that they do (or the type's stock stereotypes) they say that that person is mistyped

yup

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Why is it not just as affirming to be viewed as having the people skills of an ENF, or the artistic sensibilities of an ISFP, or the leadership ability of an ENJ? Every type has positive qualities. I don't see any glamour in being an INTJ. It does make it easy to get alot done, but at a sometimes significant cost. To continue the D&D metaphor, no type has 18 on all its attributes.

Well then you have a wise view on it. Many don't however and they dont consider many types to have any qualities whatsoever, which is most likely the opposite of the original intention when this theory was adapted from Jung's work.

Many descriptions are far more interesting than others and many people are won over by them, you may not glamourise it, (which is great), but there are plenty more that do.

Ive hopped around quite a few forums before this one and after spending a few months on a forum it's easy to see these issues.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is the kind of assertion I was thinking of when writing the OP, particularly relating to people claiming to be INTJ. Ideally, this kind of disconnect ("member A is an XYZW like me, but doesn't act like me") should generate some interesting discussion that helps both people understand themselves better, regardless of best-fit type. Unfortunately, however, the interactions are frequently shallow and sometimes insulting.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There's a fantasy game people play in their heads about themselves. The twists and turns in someone's psychology to fit themselves into the box they enjoy. And the box they enjoy is filled with a fascination. With enough ways to twist perception you can be so many wonderful things. Ni has wonderful descriptions doesn't it? So mysterious. Descriptions flying all over the place... The good thing about understanding Ni is that you find the Ni users explain the exact same thing about Ni in funny different ways. So then you have people who don't understand Ni not understand the what's going on between all those different descriptions and end up falling prey to the 'thinks they understand it' syndrome by interpreting one post of one Ni user in their own funny way.

Though this is to all you wonderful public. I enjoy imagining that coriolis already knows the answer here but is trying to illuminate the issue for thought.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTJs are the sex. Posers want in on the action.

/mystery solved

W

WALMART

Ni seems useless, except for poetry and swooning college girls.

/jelly

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ni seems useless, except for poetry and swooning college girls.
Ni alone probably would be useless. It is in combination with our other functions that it becomes so effective. (Same with the other functions/types.)

R

Riva

Ni alone probably would be useless. It is in combination with our other functions that it becomes so effective. (Same with the other functions/types.)

Who are these wannabe INTJ jerks?

Lets round them up and burn them alive. Like in a witch hunt.

Is that what you want or do you want to know what is it that is so special about INTJs that makes other types mistype themselves as INTJs?

Or do you simply believe they are confused?

Edit - Oh wait. I reread the OP. You want both.

interesting thread though. I don't know why I'm stepping on your toes or atleast trying to.

Hmmm... why is it that I find hard to explain myself without using metaphors. No no didn't mean it in an intuitive way.

Eidt 2 -

I think the answer to the OP is obvious. No need for me to elaborate right? And I'm certain why you dear Coriolis made this thread. And it's not to help Qlip is it? No it's probably to be a fuss. Probably to start a witch hunt.

Hmmmm....

For a person who doesn't care at all, I sound awfully concerned.

Maybe I just want to witch hunt someone today. And that someone is you.

Not trolling though. Legit as legit gets to follow a question with another.

Edit 3 -

I'm being such a bitch.

Oh I know I'm not an INTJ!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Who are these wannabe INTJ jerks?

Lets round them up and burn them alive. Like in a witch hunt.
They are probably mostly frustrated SJs and a few envious NFs. No, burning would be a waste. They still can be useful.

Is that what you want or do you want to know what is it that is so special about INTJs that makes other types mistype themselves as INTJs?

Or do you simply believe they are confused?
Seriously, I am asking just what I wrote in the OP: "Why do so many members mistype as INTJ, or appear to want to see themselves as this type?" I haven't taken time to do a scientific study, but even considering our overrepresentation online, it seems a disproportionate number of people whose type is questioned (even by themselves) claim to be INTJ. When members are trying on types for size, INTJ is often one of them, even when they end up finding a radically different best fit. People occasionally make a decent case as to why in general many self-typed INTJs might actually be ISTJ, or INFJ, or even ENTJ, but I rarely see such a case made for other types.

So yes, in a sense I am asking what is so special about INTJs in this respect? I don't think we really are more special than any other type, so why the attraction, appeal, confusion, whatever???

R

Riva

They are probably mostly frustrated SJs and a few envious NFs. No, burning would be a waste. They still can be useful.

Seriously, I am asking just what I wrote in the OP: "Why do so many members mistype as INTJ, or appear to want to see themselves as this type?" I haven't taken time to do a scientific study, but even considering our overrepresentation online, it seems a disproportionate number of people whose type is questioned (even by themselves) claim to be INTJ. When members are trying on types for size, INTJ is often one of them, even when they end up finding a radically different best fit. People occasionally make a decent case as to why in general many self-typed INTJs might actually be ISTJ, or INFJ, or even ENTJ, but I rarely see such a case made for other types.

So yes, in a sense I am asking what is so special about INTJs in this respect? I don't think we really are more special than any other type, so why the attraction, appeal, confusion, whatever???

@Highlighted -

Are they not rhetorical questions dear Coriolis?

;)

Do it Coroilis, admit it. Admit they were rhetorics and be the better person.

They are special indeed. until they want to woo a girl. until that time comes they hold a special place in many areas.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am an INTJ. I don't need to be a better person. And I only indulge in rhetorics when it serves a purpose. Here it does not.

I know the easy answers. Now I want the real ones.

R

Riva

I am an INTJ. I don't need to be a better person. And I only indulge in rhetorics when it serves a purpose. Here it does not.

I know the easy answers. Now I want the real ones.

Maybe it does? Who knows. It takes great self awareness to know each and every purpose behind one's actions. Infact it would take years of practice. no not in a Vulcan way. Screw them.

And the day one reaches such a state of self awareness one would be at bliss.

Hmmmm....

I'm derailing this thread. If you will not quote me any further I shall not reply - thereby accidentally derail - any further.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
so sad. people don't even know what intj means. or any 4letter code. and argue about whether they are it, or whether they ain't it. you should get away from types and argue about single traits instead. are you 'like a boss', for instance, within your interaction on the message board, or do you actually have any sense of the future of the process of the message board, and which sort of sense and so on .... arguing can be constructive and lead to insight, when you are arguing about something that can be partially perceived by both parties of the argument, but arguing with other people about images that only exists in your imagination, through words that are linked to different images in other peoples minds, that implies at least a certain degree of unawareness about the general problem of perception, which implies you are not perception dominant, especially not in a subjective meta-way (introverted), if not a degree of stupidity. people have to 'unlearn' to hallucinate, before they can learn something about the reality of typology. when you see the reality, you will see how the theory, as it goes around, misguides people about reality. this is the number one reason for inconsistent typing. people who allow themselves to be misguided, that is people who want to experience themselves as experts of typology, before they have perceived the underlying reality, they are hallucinating random bouts of insane type theory, which infects all other people, who are vulnerable to the temptation of premature expertise. it's not that people don't want the truth, that they want to be someone else. no one wants that intrinsically, because pretension of identity is the biggest suffering a psyche can go through. every one wants accurate orientation within their own intelligence and worldview. it's just that people want orientation way too much, too urgently, so they settle on premature speculations. the most counter-egoic thing about typology is, that you have to learn something about all other personality types, in order to understand your own self through typology, because typology depends on at least some basic comparisons. few are up to that challenge.

A

Anew Leaf

There are a number of roads that lead to the same city.

1- I find most people to lack self-awareness.
2- Because of #1, two things can occur. 1- they take the test with wishful thinking protocol enabled, 2- they get the correct type but second guess it after reading descriptions, and cherry picking that which they wish to be instead of are.
3- Humans as a whole all desire to be unique and different and special somehow. In high-school we showed it by dying our hair purple and getting a nose ring. On typology forums we show it by desiring to be what is perceived as rare and mysterious which with some people starts with desiring to be an N and with others it ends up with desiring to be a Ni-dom.
4- They do it because it works. I had a brief experimental stint where I put "ENTP" as my type, I had a crazy crone avatar, and I posted my most bizarre Ne-self. End result? People who know me on here still saw me the same, but new posters thought I was actually ENTP. I still get reps and the occasional PM from people asking how I went from ENTP to INFP.
5- They do it because they imagine it works.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
so sad. people don't even know what intj means. or any 4letter code. and argue about whether they are it, or whether they ain't it. you should get away from types and argue about single traits instead. are you 'like a boss', for instance, within your interaction on the message board, or do you actually have any sense of the future of the process of the message board, and which sort of sense and so on .... arguing can be constructive and lead to insight, when you are arguing about something that can be partially perceived by both parties of the argument, but arguing with other people about images that only exists in your imagination, through words that are linked to different images in other peoples minds, that implies at least a certain degree of unawareness about the general problem of perception, which implies you are not perception dominant, especially not in a subjective meta-way (introverted), if not a degree of stupidity. people have to 'unlearn' to hallucinate, before they can learn something about the reality of typology. when you see the reality, you will see how the theory, as it goes around, misguides people about reality. this is the number one reason for inconsistent typing. people who allow themselves to be misguided, that is people who want to experience themselves as experts of typology, before they have perceived the underlying reality, they are hallucinating random bouts of insane type theory, which infects all other people, who are vulnerable to the temptation of premature expertise. it's not that people don't want the truth, that they want to be someone else. no one wants that intrinsically, because pretension of identity is the biggest suffering a psyche can go through. every one wants accurate orientation within their own intelligence and worldview. it's just that people want orientation way too much, too urgently, so they settle on premature speculations. the most counter-egoic thing about typology is, that you have to learn something about all other personality types, in order to understand your own self through typology, because typology depends on at least some basic comparisons. few are up to that challenge.
Some interesting ideas. Yes, we can forego any type system and speak of specific traits. Someone can be boss-like, or prescient, or anything else. Even these, though, will have different connotations to different people. My experience of bosses may be quite different from yours, especially if I have been one and you have not. Type systems are just a shorthand for clusters of individual qualities, just like occupation names are shorthand for clusters of skills and duties. I do think misunderstanding is a big problem in mistyping. There is misunderstanding of what each type is supposed to represent, but there is also a misunderstanding of life as a given type that seems to be influenced by stereotypes, popular culture, and even abuse of the type system itself. Careful scrutiny will overcome all of this, but many people lack the time or inclination to do this, and grasp at a type like one of the proverbial straws.

The highlighted is particularly useful. I'm not sure people always want the truth about themselves, but I agree this is the more healthy and productive perspective. Yes, I have seen plenty of premature speculations. I suppose that is part of what I was recalling in writing the OP. And yes, if you do not take the time to understand the other types, you are missing out on much of what the system has to offer.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=13402]Saturned[/MENTION] to augment your funny ENTP story you have an ENTP quote in your signature since according to CelebrityTypes Leonardo da Vinci is ENTP though I suspect he could be ITP.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Most NFs mistype as INTJs because they think that because they're academically motivated and logical that they are in the "T" camp. Some also may be hardened from their experiences, so they'll withhold their "F" traits to appear tougher and more in command/control, hence taking on an INTJ face. It makes them feel stronger about themselves, that nobody is going to hurt them again if they take on an NT guise. INFJs that have been hardened and more cynical about the world may mistype as INTJ. Goes with the thought of , "why not cling onto T-traits as a backup plan, logic doesn't hurt your feelings, whereas other people do."

"But I like books and learning!"...can be any type in this case, wisdom expands throughout all types.

Also erroneous thinking that because you're rational and organize your external environment it means you automatically have Te. Fe organizes things as well as Te. It can appear Te-like in a commanding environment. So some people that are like this may type themselves as INTJ. Even those interested in systems may mistype as INTJ.

It pretty much is the type that fits like a suit of armor for people to protect their most vulnerable aspects of their psyche. Whatever their personal experiences are.