User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    1- I find most people to lack self-awareness.
    2- Because of #1, two things can occur. 1- they take the test with wishful thinking protocol enabled, 2- they get the correct type but second guess it after reading descriptions, and cherry picking that which they wish to be instead of are.
    3- Humans as a whole all desire to be unique and different and special somehow. In high-school we showed it by dying our hair purple and getting a nose ring. On typology forums we show it by desiring to be what is perceived as rare and mysterious which with some people starts with desiring to be an N and with others it ends up with desiring to be a Ni-dom.
    4- They do it because it works. I had a brief experimental stint where I put "ENTP" as my type, I had a crazy crone avatar, and I posted my most bizarre Ne-self. End result? People who know me on here still saw me the same, but new posters thought I was actually ENTP. I still get reps and the occasional PM from people asking how I went from ENTP to INFP.
    5- They do it because they imagine it works.
    1. Agreed.

2. I have seen this as well.

3. So it is mostly because Ni is perceived as rare?

4. What do you mean "it works"? Did you find you were happier, more productive, or experienced other positive results from your ENTP phase? Or do you just mean that if you claim to be a certain type, it will work in getting others to believe you are?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    1. Agreed.

2. I have seen this as well.

3. So it is mostly because Ni is perceived as rare?

4. What do you mean "it works"? Did you find you were happier, more productive, or experienced other positive results from your ENTP phase? Or do you just mean that if you claim to be a certain type, it will work in getting others to believe you are?
    3- I think it is that and also because if you aren't Ni, you honestly have no idea what it is. It's like someone is doing math problems without showing their work. It's just "here is the solution to this amazingly complicated equation." and I look and I see that they got the same answer as me, but while their paper is a pristine sea of snow, mine is tear streaked, the edges have been chewed, and that spot over there might be pizza.

4- I mean that if you claim a certain type, a lot of people will just go along with it. "well, you say you're xxxx so I will read your posts with that filter on them." For better or for worse, there is a boxing in effect when people see a type on a profile. "Oh, you're an ENTJ so you must be scary and rude, and are never nice." "Oh, you're an INFP, so you must bleed glitter and consume only moonbeams." etc. There is then a certain range of behavior that one can get away with within the box of their type, and that is what can work in someone's favor.

Edit: My ENTP experiment was conducted because I was curious to see if people would respond differently to me if they thought I was ENTP versus INFP. I had more fun with it over on a different site since I hadn't posted there much. It didn't really affect me personally other than I got annoyed after a fashion because *mumbles something about being Fi-dom* I wasn't being myself and that is distasteful.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

4- I mean that if you claim a certain type, a lot of people will just go along with it. "well, you say you're xxxx so I will read your posts with that filter on them." For better or for worse, there is a boxing in effect when people see a type on a profile. "Oh, you're an ENTJ so you must be scary and rude, and are never nice." "Oh, you're an INFP, so you must bleed glitter and consume only moonbeams." etc. There is then a certain range of behavior that one can get away with within the box of their type, and that is what can work in someone's favor.

Edit: My ENTP experiment was conducted because I was curious to see if people would respond differently to me if they thought I was ENTP versus INFP. I had more fun with it over on a different site since I hadn't posted there much. It didn't really affect me personally other than I got annoyed after a fashion because *mumbles something about being Fi-dom* I wasn't being myself and that is distasteful.
    Fascinating. I am one of those who go along with people's stated type, but more in the sense that I tend not to openly contradict it unless asked, or it is related to the thread. This is mostly because I don't consider myself that good a judge of type, especially online, and prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt. I sometimes will feel some of their behavior contradicts that type, but type isn't everything, and there is much variation within each type. I generally don't make assumptions based on type, and try to judge people by what they actually say and do (and one of those judgments might be that they are mistyped, but I keep that to myself for the reasons above).
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Fascinating. I am one of those who go along with people's stated type, but more in the sense that I tend not to openly contradict it unless asked, or it is related to the thread. This is mostly because I don't consider myself that good a judge of type, especially online, and prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt. I sometimes will feel some of their behavior contradicts that type, but type isn't everything, and there is much variation within each type. I generally don't make assumptions based on type, and try to judge people by what they actually say and do (and one of those judgments might be that they are mistyped, but I keep that to myself for the reasons above).
    And your reasoning is exactly why it works for people to have a different type displayed. (Which, I would like to add, is quite similar to my thoughts on the subject as well.)

I also thought to add the idea of 'the grass is greener' effect. INTJs have a gift for looking very calm and collected and self contained and forever in control. Meanwhile I know every emotion I feel is etched across my face, and that I have a hard time deciding on a course of action, and that I get insanely enthusiastic about everything. I was talking about this very idea with a long time INTJ friend of mine a few months ago, and after going on about how awesome he is in a crisis and how I wish I was more like him... He cut me off with a "And you don't think I envy your ability to befriend people easily and delight in being silly?" Things that I guess come so easily to me, I don't even realize their value.

So perhaps at times people see a type that they wish they were more akin to, and they pop it on like trying on a new coat... hoping that some wool fibers stick to their vest after they take it off.

Ginkgo

Some of the profile descriptions for INTJ denote them as being "ahead of the evolutionary curve" or something like that, which might serve as compensatory for one's perceived shortcomings. Even if someone isn't an INTJ, they may still see themselves as such regardless of who they wish themselves to be. Many of the online profiles are more indicative of INXX than anything else. All it really takes is a bit of mental gymnastics to hop over the intended meaning of what it is to be an INTJ, given, of course, that meaning is even grasped. The NT Temperament descriptions probably distinguish them even more than function theory.

I feel like this thread was intended to distinguish the OP as an INTJ...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Sometimes the mistyping is so glaring that it must take a shitload of gymnastics. I'd wager some 4/5 of new self-styled "INTPs" are not even close. No wonder there are supposedly so many "INTPs" here.
    Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)
    The More You Know the Less You Need. - Aboriginal Saying

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I think that some people use INTJ as shorthand for "bad social skills and proud of it, and also thinks they're infallible". For that matter, some use INFJ as "misunderstood special snowflake who thinks they're infallible and isn't self-aware enough to realise how annoying they actually are."

But I don't know, I suspect that I'm getting a bit disillusioned with MBTI or at least many people's application of it.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

And your reasoning is exactly why it works for people to have a different type displayed. (Which, I would like to add, is quite similar to my thoughts on the subject as well.)
    It doesn't work for me as you describe, though. I will see your listed type as INFP and perhaps think your behavior is consistent with that. If you then change type to ENTP, I will think, "she still seems like an INFP, but perhaps she is exploring, or uncertain, or just comes across as INFP on the forum". If you listed ENTP first, I might think, "OK, but she often acts like an INFP. Either I don't know her well, or perhaps she is confused." This is also how I would phrase a type challenge: not "you aren't/don't seem ENTP", but rather "this specific behavior seems atypical for an ENTP".

I also thought to add the idea of 'the grass is greener' effect. INTJs have a gift for looking very calm and collected and self contained and forever in control. Meanwhile I know every emotion I feel is etched across my face, and that I have a hard time deciding on a course of action, and that I get insanely enthusiastic about everything. I was talking about this very idea with a long time INTJ friend of mine a few months ago, and after going on about how awesome he is in a crisis and how I wish I was more like him... He cut me off with a "And you don't think I envy your ability to befriend people easily and delight in being silly?" Things that I guess come so easily to me, I don't even realize their value.

So perhaps at times people see a type that they wish they were more akin to, and they pop it on like trying on a new coat... hoping that some wool fibers stick to their vest after they take it off.
    The highlighted is the point I was trying to make in one of my earlier posts. Also, people overlook some of the more negative INTJ type descriptions, like this one from Similarminds:

loner, more interested in intellectual pursuits than relationships or family, not very altruistic, not very complimentary, would rather be friendless than jobless, observer, values solitude, perfectionist, detached, private, not much fun, hidden, skeptical, does not tend to like most people, socially uncomfortable, not physically affectionate, unhappy, does not talk about feelings, hard to impress, analytical, likes esoteric things, tends to be pessimistic, not spontaneous, prone to discontentment, guarded, does not think they are weird but others do, responsible, can be insensitive or ambivalent to the misfortunes of others, orderly, clean, organized, familiar with darkside, tends not to value organized religion, suspicious of others, can be lonely, rarely shows anger, punctual, finisher, prepared
    I think some non-INTJs see our type with rose-colored glasses, in the spirit of your "grass-is-greener" observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I feel like this thread was intended to distinguish the OP as an INTJ...
    I did not think that was necessary.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacuss View Post
    Sometimes the mistyping is so glaring that it must take a shitload of gymnastics. I'd wager some 4/5 of new self-styled "INTPs" are not even close. No wonder there are supposedly so many "INTPs" here.
    So why should we believe you are INTP, or that I am inTP, or that anyone here is INTP? Surely there is some way to empirically discover the secret.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacuss View Post
    To extend the OP, then, why do you suppose so many people mistype as INTP here?