• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Inferior Function - Eruptions, Relaxation, Examples

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
So then, what would an Ne dom under stress using their inferior function of Si, look like?

Grublet

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
AVC
When you describe it this way, INTP makes the most sense for me; even though I am highly Fe, I have a lot of trouble with it, especially in periods of stress where I succumb to my feelings. I also find I use Fe to relax, particularly when listening to music or around family and friends.

Doctorjuice

MBTI Type
INTP
So then, what would an Ne dom under stress using their inferior function of Si, look like?

Hey, haven't seen you in awhile.

Inferior Si under stress would look like: ENxP becomes quite defensive over not knowing enough facts, not having enough details, not knowing what is needed, not having the right details, or the right preparation, etc. And they may try compensate for this by throwing out details and figures to try to show that they are in the know or are prepared. Someone who really knows their stuff might see through this. Does this make sense?

Doctorjuice

MBTI Type
INTP
When you describe it this way, INTP makes the most sense for me; even though I am highly Fe, I have a lot of trouble with it, especially in periods of stress where I succumb to my feelings. I also find I use Fe to relax, particularly when listening to music or around family and friends.

An INTJ would obsess over details that aren't relevant to the big picture. INTP would see the world as making unjustified judgements against him/her (just one example).

Grublet

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
AVC
An INTJ would obsess over details that aren't relevant to the big picture. INTP would see the world as making unjustified judgements against him/her (just one example).

Right I've come to this conclusion about myself, thanks for your help. :)

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Hey, haven't seen you in awhile.

Inferior Si under stress would look like: ENxP becomes quite defensive over not knowing enough facts, not having enough details, not knowing what is needed, not having the right details, or the right preparation, etc. And they may try compensate for this by throwing out details and figures to try to show that they are in the know or are prepared. Someone who really knows their stuff might see through this. Does this make sense?

The details part makes a lot of sense. However, the part about not having enough facts, sounds more like it would apply to ENFP's rather than ENTP's: it seems like Te would be more concerned with facts, not Ti.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think INxJ would forego sensual pleasure. Like the asceticism of the greeks of old or the priests/nuns of the church taking vows of celibacy

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=14757]Doctorjuice[/MENTION]

I find it very ironic how you described how the ISTP would use their inferior function under stress. You said that the ISTP may just explode with rage out of nowhere and just punch someone in the face after having an extremely stressful day and use inferior Fe. This sounds very similar to how someone with a 9w8 gut fix would react under stress. People with a 9w8 fix avoid conflict, then try to avoid it some more, then they just explode on someone (but not necessarily violently). It would make sense then that many ISTP types tend to have 9w8 and 8w9 gut fixes.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
[MENTION=14757]Doctorjuice[/MENTION]

I really enjoyed your accurate, (albeit brief), explanation of inferior Ti and a potential application for it in ESFJ's, I find it quite relatable.

I suppose the summed up description would be it helps an ESFJ to understand where to hedge their bets in terms of values....not to mention their internal consistancy, so that a value is not being adhered to just because it 'feels right'.

ScottJames

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

ScottJames

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think we're attributing the same processes to Se and Si respectively.

I'm not sure what you mean. My understanding and observation is that Si inferior is something that Ne primaries don't tend to enjoy so much. Ni primaries typically enjoy their inferior process (though it can be destructive in an immature manifestation) more than any other types. For example, an ENFP or ENTP might experience Si in the form of painful memories or helplessness. Could you explain what you meant?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not sure what you mean. My understanding and observation is that Si inferior is something that Ne primaries don't tend to enjoy so much. Ni primaries typically enjoy their inferior process (though it can be destructive in an immature manifestation) more than any other types. For example, an ENFP or ENTP might experience Si in the form of painful memories or helplessness. Could you explain what you meant?

I associate musical composition with an enjoyment of the subjective impact of the music on the author. I think Se is more about appreciation of aesthetics that are independent of the observer.

ScottJames

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I associate musical composition with an enjoyment of the subjective impact of the music on the author. I think Se is more about appreciation of aesthetics that are independent of the observer.

Se also encompasses physical sensation. The lower it is in the function order the less it makes detailed sensory distinctions. Kind of like how we have one word for snow, but supposedly some Eskimo cultures have something like 30+. That's how I'd describe the difference between Se inferior vs. Se primary. So that track was a musical expression of how Se inferior feels in my experience.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Se also encompasses physical sensation. The lower it is in the function order the less it makes detailed sensory distinctions. Kind of like how we have one word for snow, but supposedly some Eskimo cultures have something like 30+. That's how I'd describe the difference between Se inferior vs. Se primary. So that track was a musical expression of how Se inferior feels in my experience.

I agree with the bold in particular. Imo INxJs often tend to feel overwhelmed when exposed to a great amount of Se stimuli esp the exact same stimuli that draws ESxPs out. Things like intense workouts/physical activity, dissipating stress through sexual activity, an aversion to competition (especially physical), lack of expansive body movements/gestures, etc.

ScottJames

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree with the bold in particular. Imo INxJs often tend to feel overwhelmed when exposed to a great amount of Se stimuli esp the exact same stimuli that draws ESxPs out. Things like intense workouts/physical activity, dissipating stress through sexual activity, an aversion to competition (especially physical), lack of expansive body movements/gestures, etc.

I agree with you that INJs are prone to sensory overload, which to some extent is a commonality between all J types. There are a couple points I'd like to speak to from my perspective though:

What I'd say is that INJs have an aversion for things like physical risk (i.e. extreme sports), and physical activities that require a lot of quick adjustments. INJs are often drawn to things like weight lifting for example though. In fact, a disproportionately large percentage of INJs end up becoming teachers or gurus in the fitness and nutrition industries. People like Tim Ferriss (INTJ) and Shawn Stevenson (INFJ) for example. Most of us tend to like our inferior process, but it requires a lot of conscious processing to go through the stages of competence in maturing that process so it makes a lot of INJs capable of and motivated to teach their methods to others.

An INTJ friend of mine said that his favorite activity is lifting weights because it's the only time he feels truly present. I can totally relate to that. I LOVE a great workout. There's a specific way that I work out though. I don't like working out with partners and I like listening to extreme music, lifting the heaviest weights I can and getting a huge adrenaline rush.

If you ask an Ni primary their favorite thing to do you'll often get an answer that relates to their inferior function (this isn't the case with any other types).

I'm also a big fan of sexual activity and I'm extremely competitive both mentally and physically.

Drinking, drugs and sex are common manifestations of Se inferior.

My observation and what I've been taught is that Ni primaries have a different kind of relationship with their inferior process than any other types.

I would say that I'm an especially physical INFJ, but to a lesser extent these things tend to be in line with other INJs.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree with you that INJs are prone to sensory overload, which to some extent is a commonality between all J types. There are a couple points I'd like to speak to from my perspective though:

What I'd say is that INJs have an aversion for things like physical risk (i.e. extreme sports), and physical activities that require a lot of quick adjustments. INJs are often drawn to things like weight lifting for example though. In fact, a disproportionately large percentage of INJs end up becoming teachers or gurus in the fitness and nutrition industries. People like Tim Ferriss (INTJ) and Shawn Stevenson (INFJ) for example. Most of us tend to like our inferior process, but it requires a lot of conscious processing to go through the stages of competence in maturing that process so it makes a lot of INJs capable of and motivated to teach their methods to others.

An INTJ friend of mine said that his favorite activity is lifting weights because it's the only time he feels truly present. I can totally relate to that. I LOVE a great workout. There's a specific way that I work out though. I don't like working out with partners and I like listening to extreme music, lifting the heaviest weights I can and getting a huge adrenaline rush.

If you ask an Ni primary their favorite thing to do you'll often get an answer that relates to their inferior function (this isn't the case with any other types).

I'm also a big fan of sexual activity and I'm extremely competitive both mentally and physically.

Drinking, drugs and sex are common manifestations of Se inferior.

My observation and what I've been taught is that Ni primaries have a different kind of relationship with their inferior process than any other types.

I would say that I'm an especially physical INFJ, but to a lesser extent these things tend to be in line with other INJs.

Yeah, I agree. Type is most "extreme" in youth imo and people tend to balance out more as they age, but as you noticed the weak functions can manifest in a negative manner (ie behavior that has a deleterious effect on the actor) unless the person learns to incorporate that aspect of their humanity into themselves in a healthy manner.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree with [MENTION=16774]ScottJames[/MENTION] in that I tend to see Se as a 'good thing' in my growth, in keeping me balanced, I take great pleasure in aiming towards being more present in the moment, hence some of my favorite pasttimes involve Se (even if it's hard/impossible for me to do as a 'lifestyle', nor is that 'me', hence it's not my primary or aux), and can fall into that sensory pleasure.

otoh, to [MENTION=15315]UniqueMixture[/MENTION]'s point, I actually think an INxJ can go in either direction, in terms of his ascetic example. I think the point is that inferior Se can either create an aversion/scorn of more physical and sensory things, OR more of an embracing of/incorporation of them. Either way, it's a focusing/awareness on it - and, depending on the individual, they may 'justify' it as either bad, going the nunnery/ascetic route, or go all-in, more the hedonist route. Of course it's quite possible to aim for the middle too. :yes: