User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

@Doctorjuice

I really enjoyed your accurate, (albeit brief), explanation of inferior Ti and a potential application for it in ESFJ's, I find it quite relatable.

I suppose the summed up description would be it helps an ESFJ to understand where to hedge their bets in terms of values....not to mention their internal consistancy, so that a value is not being adhered to just because it 'feels right'.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    I think INxJ would forego sensual pleasure. Like the asceticism of the greeks of old or the priests/nuns of the church taking vows of celibacy
    Not my experience at all. I love sensual pleasure. Se inferior often shows up for me as more of a dull, deeply kinesthetic experience. Here's a piece I wrote that I'd say represents raw Se inferior as I experience it: http://www.composerscottjames.com/mp...ark/animal.mp3

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by ScottJames View Post
    Not my experience at all. I love sensual pleasure. Se inferior often shows up for me as more of a dull, deeply kinesthetic experience. Here's a piece I wrote that I'd say represents raw Se inferior as I experience it: http://www.composerscottjames.com/mp...ark/animal.mp3
    I think we're attributing the same processes to Se and Si respectively.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

I think we're attributing the same processes to Se and Si respectively.
    I'm not sure what you mean. My understanding and observation is that Si inferior is something that Ne primaries don't tend to enjoy so much. Ni primaries typically enjoy their inferior process (though it can be destructive in an immature manifestation) more than any other types. For example, an ENFP or ENTP might experience Si in the form of painful memories or helplessness. Could you explain what you meant?

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I'm not sure what you mean. My understanding and observation is that Si inferior is something that Ne primaries don't tend to enjoy so much. Ni primaries typically enjoy their inferior process (though it can be destructive in an immature manifestation) more than any other types. For example, an ENFP or ENTP might experience Si in the form of painful memories or helplessness. Could you explain what you meant?
    I associate musical composition with an enjoyment of the subjective impact of the music on the author. I think Se is more about appreciation of aesthetics that are independent of the observer.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

I associate musical composition with an enjoyment of the subjective impact of the music on the author. I think Se is more about appreciation of aesthetics that are independent of the observer.
    Se also encompasses physical sensation. The lower it is in the function order the less it makes detailed sensory distinctions. Kind of like how we have one word for snow, but supposedly some Eskimo cultures have something like 30+. That's how I'd describe the difference between Se inferior vs. Se primary. So that track was a musical expression of how Se inferior feels in my experience.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Se also encompasses physical sensation. The lower it is in the function order the less it makes detailed sensory distinctions. Kind of like how we have one word for snow, but supposedly some Eskimo cultures have something like 30+. That's how I'd describe the difference between Se inferior vs. Se primary. So that track was a musical expression of how Se inferior feels in my experience.
    I agree with the bold in particular. Imo INxJs often tend to feel overwhelmed when exposed to a great amount of Se stimuli esp the exact same stimuli that draws ESxPs out. Things like intense workouts/physical activity, dissipating stress through sexual activity, an aversion to competition (especially physical), lack of expansive body movements/gestures, etc.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

I agree with the bold in particular. Imo INxJs often tend to feel overwhelmed when exposed to a great amount of Se stimuli esp the exact same stimuli that draws ESxPs out. Things like intense workouts/physical activity, dissipating stress through sexual activity, an aversion to competition (especially physical), lack of expansive body movements/gestures, etc.
    I agree with you that INJs are prone to sensory overload, which to some extent is a commonality between all J types. There are a couple points I'd like to speak to from my perspective though:

What I'd say is that INJs have an aversion for things like physical risk (i.e. extreme sports), and physical activities that require a lot of quick adjustments. INJs are often drawn to things like weight lifting for example though. In fact, a disproportionately large percentage of INJs end up becoming teachers or gurus in the fitness and nutrition industries. People like Tim Ferriss (INTJ) and Shawn Stevenson (INFJ) for example. Most of us tend to like our inferior process, but it requires a lot of conscious processing to go through the stages of competence in maturing that process so it makes a lot of INJs capable of and motivated to teach their methods to others.

An INTJ friend of mine said that his favorite activity is lifting weights because it's the only time he feels truly present. I can totally relate to that. I LOVE a great workout. There's a specific way that I work out though. I don't like working out with partners and I like listening to extreme music, lifting the heaviest weights I can and getting a huge adrenaline rush.

If you ask an Ni primary their favorite thing to do you'll often get an answer that relates to their inferior function (this isn't the case with any other types).

I'm also a big fan of sexual activity and I'm extremely competitive both mentally and physically.

Drinking, drugs and sex are common manifestations of Se inferior.

My observation and what I've been taught is that Ni primaries have a different kind of relationship with their inferior process than any other types.

I would say that I'm an especially physical INFJ, but to a lesser extent these things tend to be in line with other INJs.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I agree with you that INJs are prone to sensory overload, which to some extent is a commonality between all J types. There are a couple points I'd like to speak to from my perspective though:

What I'd say is that INJs have an aversion for things like physical risk (i.e. extreme sports), and physical activities that require a lot of quick adjustments. INJs are often drawn to things like weight lifting for example though. In fact, a disproportionately large percentage of INJs end up becoming teachers or gurus in the fitness and nutrition industries. People like Tim Ferriss (INTJ) and Shawn Stevenson (INFJ) for example. Most of us tend to like our inferior process, but it requires a lot of conscious processing to go through the stages of competence in maturing that process so it makes a lot of INJs capable of and motivated to teach their methods to others.

An INTJ friend of mine said that his favorite activity is lifting weights because it's the only time he feels truly present. I can totally relate to that. I LOVE a great workout. There's a specific way that I work out though. I don't like working out with partners and I like listening to extreme music, lifting the heaviest weights I can and getting a huge adrenaline rush.

If you ask an Ni primary their favorite thing to do you'll often get an answer that relates to their inferior function (this isn't the case with any other types).

I'm also a big fan of sexual activity and I'm extremely competitive both mentally and physically.

Drinking, drugs and sex are common manifestations of Se inferior.

My observation and what I've been taught is that Ni primaries have a different kind of relationship with their inferior process than any other types.

I would say that I'm an especially physical INFJ, but to a lesser extent these things tend to be in line with other INJs.
    Yeah, I agree. Type is most "extreme" in youth imo and people tend to balance out more as they age, but as you noticed the weak functions can manifest in a negative manner (ie behavior that has a deleterious effect on the actor) unless the person learns to incorporate that aspect of their humanity into themselves in a healthy manner.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I agree with @ScottJames in that I tend to see Se as a 'good thing' in my growth, in keeping me balanced, I take great pleasure in aiming towards being more present in the moment, hence some of my favorite pasttimes involve Se (even if it's hard/impossible for me to do as a 'lifestyle', nor is that 'me', hence it's not my primary or aux), and can fall into that sensory pleasure.

otoh, to @UniqueMixture's point, I actually think an INxJ can go in either direction, in terms of his ascetic example. I think the point is that inferior Se can either create an aversion/scorn of more physical and sensory things, OR more of an embracing of/incorporation of them. Either way, it's a focusing/awareness on it - and, depending on the individual, they may 'justify' it as either bad, going the nunnery/ascetic route, or go all-in, more the hedonist route. Of course it's quite possible to aim for the middle too.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ