• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type Rarity?

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Does anyone remain convinced that there are rare types, or is it pretty much understood that all cognitive processes are used equally across the board? Jung says in his introduction of Personality Type:
Naturally, at first, one is inclined to regard such differences as mere individual idiosyncrasies. But anyone with the opportunity of gaining a fundamental knowledge of many men will soon discover that such a far-reaching contrast does not merely concern the individual case, but is a question of typical attitudes, with a universality far greater than a limited psychological experience would at first assume. In reality, as the preceding chapters will have shown, it is a question of a fundamental opposition; at times clear and at times obscure, but always emerging whenever we are dealing with individuals whose personality is in any way pronounced. Such men are found not only among the educated classes, but in every rank of society; with equal distinctness, therefore, our types can be demonstrated among labourers and peasants as among the most differentiated members of a nation. Furthermore, these types over-ride the distinctions of sex, since one finds the same contrasts amongst women of all classes. Such a universal distribution could hardly arise at the instigation of consciousness, ie. as the result of a conscious and deliberate choice of attitude. If this were the case, a definite level of society, linked together by a similar education and environment and, therefore, correspondingly localized, would surely have a majority representation of such an attitude. But the actual facts are just the reverse, for the types have, apparently, quite a random distribution. [p. 414]

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
The part that is highlighted does not speak to rarity but to distribution. The two are unrelated. It's saying that MBTI type does not predispose someone toward a certain social class nor is it a direct result of the choices that a person makes. However this has nothing to do with the rarity of a type. A type which appears with a 1% frequency will do so in all social classes. In particular if people which use intuition as their primary or secondary function appear in 20% of the population then they will appear with 20% frequency in every significantly large social grouping regardless of economic background or education.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Yet what he does not say anywhere in his work that those preferring inuition are rare or more rare than those preferring sensing. In fact when he discribes Ne Jung says that they are so similar that, those who proposed to prefer Ne were actually describing Se traits.

Also as stated in another thread, Myers-Briggs raises questions as to whether many are born with a clean slate thus not predispositioned to a certain type. As a result she questions whether the western culture may be the basis of so many preferring ESJ.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Also as stated in another thread, Myers-Briggs raises questions as to whether many are born with a clean slate thus not predispositioned to a certain type. As a result she questions whether the western culture may be the basis of so many preferring ESJ.

If this is true, then Intuition actually is "rare". At least it is rare in western culture.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am generally convinced that INs are rarer than ENs, ISs, and ESs.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
If this is true, then Intuition actually is "rare". At least it is rare in western culture.
Yet it's based on cultural expectations, ergo ESJs who may actually be intuitives are merely being influenced by culture. We see it all of the time in people's confusion of their best fit type due to outside influences.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So is Myers-Briggs and Keirsey, but Jung scoffs at the idea.

I just don't think it's very probable that there is even dispersion of all types. That sort of symmetry really isn't common among human beings. I also generally suspect that society would be rather different if there were more INs.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I just don't think it's very probable that there is even dispersion of all types. That sort of symmetry really isn't common among human beings. I also generally suspect that society would be rather different if there were more INs.

I don't really know if it'd be INs in particular that would be rare -- just N dominants, at least through my observation. INPs and ENJs seem to be all over in real life, it's just that the INPs are reclusive enough to not notice each other.

The idea being that, if type is at least partially by nurture, INJ would be anathema to the 'learned' ESJ attitude, and ENP anathema to the 'learned' ESP attitude.

I wonder now how many ISPs there are compared to ESPs, and how many ISJs there are compared to ESJs.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
? said:
Yet it's based on cultural expectations, ergo ESJs who may actually be intuitives are merely being influenced by culture. We see it all of the time in people's confusion of their best fit type due to outside influences.

I was responding to something you said about people starting with a clean slate. Now you are saying they may actually be intuitives. Which is it? :huh: It they are really intuitives, then they are not starting with a clean slate.

Magic Poriferan said:
I am generally convinced that INs are rarer than ENs, ISs, and ESs.

I think this depends mostly where you draw the line between introversion and extraversion on the continuum. Some studies say introverts are about 25% of the US population, while others put introverts at over 50%. If the latter is true then IN's are certainly not less common than EN's. Also "?" may very well be correct. There may not be be any rarity among type even with respect to S and N. However he hasn't given any good reasons in this thread yet to back up that assertion.

Anecdotally I have encountered a lot more IN's in my life than EN's. This is mostly because IN's group together, so you can find them if you know where to look. On the other hand EN's might turn up in just about any circle, but when you find them there is either an even mix of types or other types dominate the group.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I was responding to something you said about people starting with a clean slate. Now you are saying they may actually be intuitives. Which is it? :huh: It they are really intuitives, then they are not starting with a clean slate.
Point taken and you're right if they start with a clean slate there is no predisposition. The problem is that Myers-Briggs did focus on the western culture, in fact I would narrow that down only to the USA. The numbers are misleading if she proclaims that some types are developed by cultural expectations since she is using a very small portion of the world. What about the eastern culture who leads the world in technology (NT), has a higher number of people whose spiritual followings are more inclined to be NF and has a greater population than the western part of the world.

Even if we take the clean slate theory into account there will probably more intuitives worldwide than sensors. Even if we do not take a clean slate into account, I would imagine that there are more Japaneese that would fall under NT and more Chineese and/or Indians that would most likely fall under NF.

Finally as I inquired here when first coming to the forum, how can you determine there are more or less E/I by simple dichotomy usage when Jung uses cognitive functions? Grouping all I's or E's together at best would be an averaging out process since you are grouping Ni, Si, Ti and Fi, and Ne, Se, Te, Fe to obtain those numbers.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
And remain skeptical that you can determine any sort of dispersion with simple dichotomies since you have to look at each cognitive function, i.e. I-Ni,Si,Fi,Ti, E-Ne,Se,Te,Fe.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I have a better question:

Why does it matter which type is rarest?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ

It doesn't.

The only reason I'd have a problem is if there were certain types more likely to be prosecuted for something that's not really a matter of crime but a matter of understanding that perspective.

Thankfully, though, they've mostly phased out witch-burnings. :yes: So I think we're good.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe

First, because it's untrue and there are no facts to back it up, but find where intuitive types have not raised the point on any particular forum. Not only is it false, but it perpetuates an illusive superiority in intuitive types and for no other reason it’s a sacred cow that is completely full of crap. The best statistical survey ever completed on type population was done in 1998 by a group out of Ontario and they only received an 8% response from a telephone survey. Myers-Briggs and Keirsey simply did not have to create such a chaos in particularly since Jung only alludes to type rarity being someone who is an extreme type.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Point taken and you're right if they start with a clean slate there is no predisposition. The problem is that Myers-Briggs did focus on the western culture, in fact I would narrow that down only to the USA. The numbers are misleading if she proclaims that some types are developed by cultural expectations since she is using a very small portion of the world. What about the eastern culture who leads the world in technology (NT), has a higher number of people whose spiritual followings are more inclined to be NF and has a greater population than the western part of the world.

Even if we take the clean slate theory into account there will probably more intuitives worldwide than sensors. Even if we do not take a clean slate into account, I would imagine that there are more Japaneese that would fall under NT and more Chineese and/or Indians that would most likely fall under NF.

Finally as I inquired here when first coming to the forum, how can you determine there are more or less E/I by simple dichotomy usage when Jung uses cognitive functions? Grouping all I's or E's together at best would be an averaging out process since you are grouping Ni, Si, Ti and Fi, and Ne, Se, Te, Fe to obtain those numbers.

These are good points and really get at the more interesting question. I don't really care if some types are more rare as much as why they are more rare. Is type purely biological, learned or some combination? That is the more interesting question IMO.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
These are good points and really get at the more interesting question. I don't really care if some types are more rare as much as why they are more rare. Is type purely biological, learned or some combination? That is the more interesting question IMO.

I agree, which is why I posted the question about population recently. I would love to know which factors are primarily responsible for the development of personality.

Mole

Permabanned
Qualified Psychometricians and Astronomers both agree

Any qualified psychometrician will tell you there is no connection between MBTI and personality types.

And in exactly the same way, any qualified astronomer will tell you there is no connection between astrology and your personality.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Any qualified psychometrician will tell you there is no connection between MBTI and personality types.

And in exactly the same way, any qualified astronomer will tell you there is no connection between astrology and your personality.

Hmmm...could be...

I'm not entirely sure yet. However, that is why I am here: to learn more.

Mole

Permabanned
Hmmm...could be...

I'm not entirely sure yet. However, that is why I am here: to learn more.

You could ring the Psychology Department of your local University and ask to speak to a Psychometrician and ask them.

And you could ring the Astronomy Department of your University and ask to speak to an Astronomer and ask them.

Then you'd know.