• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sensors that think they are Intuitives?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Imagine for a second that you'ld build a battlesuit with enhanced vision, hearing, smelling and a tactical head up display. And if you were wearing that for the rest of your life, would that turn you into a sensor ? Or would the user of that system be a huge windows vista as in drain of ressources ? :D

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So there is this fellow I met, who scored pretty balanced on the test I gave him (just the short one on similar minds) and he got ENxP (50/50 T/F). I would have typed him as an ISFP initially. He doesn't really spell correctly and he speaks less abstractly than I do (I think).

So how do you tell when someone is truly a sensor? Functions test?
I'm not sure that those are really telling traits. I spell very well (when I'm paying attention, haha - not always the case here), and I know intuitives that don't speak "abstractly" at all. You can easily have a preference for straightforward communication while still thinking more along abstract lines.

Some people are also close to balanced, making it harder to tell. I'm not sure if there's an easy way to tell for people who aren't extreme in either direction. Function tests sometimes work but can be hard to interpret correctly - Se can often look like Ne, Ne can look like Ni, Se can look like Si, etc etc. I've tended to go with overall descriptions and function combinations for myself (i.e. I like Ti and Ni, so even though I don't identify that much with Se, I've ended up in the istp box). It really depends. Probably the best is just a comprehensive examination of everything - functions, overall type, whatever that thing is called that makes me a "chart-the-course type", etc. And a lot of introspection, of course.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would have typed him as an ISFP initially. He doesn't really spell correctly and he speaks less abstractly than I do (I think).

are sensors supposed to be bad spellers now? what does that have to do with anything?

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Imagine for a second that you'ld build a battlesuit with enhanced vision, hearing, smelling and a tactical head up display. And if you were wearing that for the rest of your life, would that turn you into a sensor ? Or would the user of that system be a huge windows vista as in drain of ressources ? :D

Well I imagine the idea behind sensing is that it is a cognitive interpretation of what the senses tell you, rather than literally.....oh smells...sounds...sights.....like a dog.

A

Anew Leaf

What if you sensed that you could soar if only you had wings to span the length of your dreams?

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Could put a picture in front of a person and ask them for their impressions of the picture, or give them an object. Sensors will more likely first notice the colors, shapes, forms of the object. Even will a well-researched perspective of the picture, they will still focus on how it looks, what is really there, or based on their experiences. Intuitives will look for hidden meanings behind the picture, or fuse their own personal abstract connections to said picture.

36GreenPage.jpg

Could use a picture of an apple and ask someone to give their interpretation of it.

For sensors:
Se- focus on the color, shape, size, taste, texture, shadow. "That apple looks shiny and red." Will likely take said apple and eat it, or play around with it in their hands, examining what it looks like. More likely to savor the flavor of the apple, take in as much characteristics of the apple as they can. They will likely describe these characteristics more. This will be second nature to those with Se.

Si- focus on how said color is the "proper" color of an apple, "proper" size and shape of it. Recalling what type of apple it is, how properties of how it looks, feels, tastes, are related to the variety of apple. Past memories and experiences associated with apples (i.e. Mom's apple pie), and how it makes them feel. Focusing on ageless customs associated with apples, for instance making apple pie during Thanksgiving or Christmas. Or they may focus on the fact that the apple doesn't look the same as ones they are used to, doesn't taste the same. "This is how we've always done things with apples." This will come naturally for those with Si.

For intuitives:
Ne- focus on the implied meaning of what apples are. Apples signify "knowledge", "learning", "temptation", and juggling with the varying interpretations of what the apple represents, thinking all interpretations are true. "This apple implies A, B, C, D, and they all have a unified theme, which ties into knowledge/learning." They will brainstorm aloud what the possible meanings are behind the apple, and find a unified theme by bouncing ideas off of someone else. They would likely use an apple to create change in a social atmosphere, "let this apple help you to find your path to knowledge." This will come instinctively to one with Ne.

Ni- Will focus on what the apple symbolizes for them in their own personal goals and dreams. Apples being a symbol of the wisdom they seek in their pursuit of higher enlightenment, for instance. To achieve higher insight, an Ni-dom will focus on the apple and how it's made up of a certain type of atoms, cells, the inner workings of how it formed. This will help them to understand how plants work, for learning's sake. They will also focus on how it's also a part of the plant's reproductive cycle, and relate it to their own transformation, perhaps one's own way of bearing fruits in the pursuit of their goals. They may connect it to seemingly unrelated abstract concepts in their mind, be it a piece of music or literature, that also represents the same symbolic connection. It becomes a driving symbol for their personal journey to deeper understanding. Even the falling of an apple may be connected to an intuitive's connection to what they think will happen in interpersonal relationships, as well as it being an omen of what will come in the future. More likely to use apples to speak in metaphor about a goal or dream they wish to achieve. This will come instinctively to one with Ni.

Attachments

• 36GreenPage.jpg
    36GreenPage.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 0

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I saw the apple and my first thought was 'strawberry'. Then I wondered if that was in fact its stem and leaf on top, or if had managed to suck in its entire tree in an act of matricide with only a bit of branch and a leaf sticking out of it's cloaca. I must be some undiscovered cognitive function. (or most likely, that was Ne)

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To achieve higher insight, an Ni-dom will focus on the apple and how it's made up of a certain type of atoms, cells, the inner workings of how it formed.
I would actually throw this bit into the Se category, or possibly Ti. Unless I have really over-active Ni, which seems unlikely. The Se category seems a bit superficial in general. The rest looks pretty spot-on, though. At least in the sense that I don't relate to them at all, haha.

ex: my impression would be something like "that's an apple, it's red and shiny, looks ripe, probably red delicious variety, grows on trees, made of plant cells, result of fertilization which is usually done by bees, red colour comes from pigments, full of energy for the growing seed, tasty in order to attract birds and animals in order to spread the seeds, crisp because of cell walls which keep cells plump + the waxy material produced in the skin, modern apple is result of evolution and selective breeding". Along those lines.

I definitely would not think about what an apple symbolized to me or society, how it made me feel, etc, unless prompted to do so. Or even what to do with it. I'd be focusing on the intrinsic qualities of the apple, in the context of everything I know about it. Presumably that would involve Ti/Se with a touch of Ni, for me.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
tbh my response to the Apple pic/question would probably be along the lines of the Se response; I wouldn't be inclined to ruminate (I don't think) about an apple.

Standuble

Hmm in regards to the apple question my first response would probably be "Why are you asking me to interpret an apple?" and perhaps secondly "Why an apple and not x/y/z etc." In regards to the latter situations where I find myself asking "why not x, y, z" they usually have some sort of connection e.g. all are possessions owned by the person asking the question or alternatively they are connected solely through my own experiences e.g. "The day I was going for a job interview I was eating an apple whilst using item x and thinking about y." I have always believed myself to be NeSi (with the what ifs being treated as fun idea exploration.) I can't see myself using the Ne example response that much or the Si example response either (beyond initial description I would compare it to my life/life of collective humanity or what it means to me/people on the whole.)

G

garbage

My first thought was that it was an apple :(

My second thought was along the lines of the Ne and Ni descriptions, but mostly the latter. It's hard to tease out the exact distinctions between 'what something actually means,' 'what society has conditioned us that it means,' and 'what it means to me.' Sometimes they're all one in the same, and sometimes the very fact that we perceive through our own lens will naturally conflate 'what it means to me' with 'what it actually does mean.'

Then again, the exact distinctions between cognitive functions themselves can be kinda difficult to tease out.

I'd think that perhaps Ne would use the apple as a starting point in a chain and eventually not even be talking about apples anymore. That is, everything in your paragraph followed by a tangent that ends with a discussion about rockets or something.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Regarding the apple, I thought about perfect untouched things, about how it looked too perfect to be entirely healthy, about the Apple symbol but without the bite, about whether the bite represented the apple from Eden or something else, and about stock photography.

A

Anew Leaf

I looked at the apple and saw a grid on its skin and then I started thinking about coordinates on graph paper and how one could go about graphing an apple into the x-y axis and still have it be an apple but perhaps more than an apple and yet less of an apple because that crisp fresh surge in your mouth would not be there but instead you would just pinpoint in space and time: here be an apple.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
One of my dearest friends is an ISFJ and he is such an impressive (not to mention creative and intelligent) person. He has less than zero desire to be famous, though I think he dreams of pushing forward some family or friend run business that he'd like to be very successful. In my experience with ISFJs, they want to take care of their friends/family and everyone else can go screw themselves.

If you are dismissive of "personally fulfilling but low-rank and invisible positions" then you are distinctly unlike any ISFJ I have ever met. Not only do ISFJs not dismiss the worth of it, they take a particular pride in it. Like ISTJs they get off on knowing that everything is working and everyone is working together on their diligent, caring, watch. I have never met an ISFJ who was angstful about anything so self-centered and needlessly abstract as typing themselves. I would also suspect there are very few ISFJs in this community.

Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to come across as disdainful... In fact, I think I'd enjoy having one of these more "invisible" careers (though that could be my desire to avoid scrutiny talking). ISFJs are awesome and good and sweet and talented and have the natural scent of fresh green apples. :sorry:

It's just... Sometimes things like that just get to you. Looking at all those people who are bringing beautiful, innovative things to fruition and feeling like yes, those low-rank jobs are necessary, but inferior to the artistic/scentific/whatever ones - they're unique, bright, they're someone; you, on the other hand, are expendable, interchangeable. It's not a very rational feeling, but it stings to think about it. :(

/Viridan's many issues

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to come across as disdainful... In fact, I think I'd enjoy having one of these more "invisible" careers (though that could be my desire to avoid scrutiny talking). ISFJs are awesome and good and sweet and talented and have the natural scent of fresh green apples. :sorry:

It's just... Sometimes things like that just get to you. Looking at all those people who are bringing beautiful, innovative things to fruition and feeling like yes, those low-rank jobs are necessary, but inferior to the artistic/scentific/whatever ones - they're unique, bright, they're someone; you, on the other hand, are expendable, interchangeable. It's not a very rational feeling, but it stings to think about it. :(

/Viridan's many issues

Unfortunately the sad fact of our lives is that we cant all reach for the stars, if we do...who is going to build the ladder to help prop up those who have the ability to do so?

It's not nice, but so very little is. I was able to make peace with it though, once id got over my own lack of innovation and ingenuity.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I wouldn't be inclined to ruminate (I don't think) about an apple.
Yeah... my first impression when looking at that picture of the apple, was simply to note that it was an apple. Why give it much more thought than that?

Regarding the apple, I thought about perfect untouched things, about how it looked too perfect to be entirely healthy, about the Apple symbol but without the bite, about whether the bite represented the apple from Eden or something else, and about stock photography.
Having been asked to give my interpretation of it, I thought pretty much the same that SilkRoad did. It's too perfect -- especially with the plastic-y looking, precisely oriented leaf. While it looks like a perfectionist's ideal of an apple, it made me think of advertising, and the disgusting things done to food in the name of on-film visual appeal (vaseline on hamburgers to make them shiny, etc.). What sort of deception and/or manipulation is going on here, and to what end?

G

garbage

If apples don't inspire more than 'it's an apple,' what about other signs?

Compass.jpg

Compasses, for example, have pretty distinct physical features, utility, tangential connections, and inner meaning.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If apples don't inspire more than 'it's an apple,' what about other signs?

Compass.jpg

Compasses, for example, have pretty distinct physical features, utility, tangential connections, and inner meaning.
Huh, I actually see far less meaning in the compass than in the apple. It's just a tool, whereas the apple is life. Probably just reflects that I'm a bio nerd.