• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sensors that think they are Intuitives?

Jaguar

Compass.jpg

Do you know what direction you're headed in life?

36GreenPage.jpg

Bite me. I dare you.

If I was at an MBTI workshop, that's how I'd answer.

G

garbage

Huh, I actually see far less meaning in the compass than in the apple. It's just a tool, whereas the apple is life. Probably just reflects that I'm a bio nerd.
Huh, that's interesting. I guess we all see meaning in different stuff--some symbols are going to strike a chord in different people in different ways. Personally, the whole 'navigation' thing is pretty much a metaphor that permeates my entire worldview.

Huh. That might make for a neat spin-off thread. :popc1:

Do you know what direction you're headed in life?
Cool. Pretty much this for me, too.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
The apple looks like an ass. I guess that must be Se with one level of abstraction via Ni. Or maybe it's Si because it's what I think an ass should look like, taken up one level of abstraction by Ne.

Seriously, what a stupid test.

Maybe the results should be judged as such:

Se - They find a way to make the apple into a crude and/or rude joke.

Si - They say "I'm not doing this, it's stupid."

Ne - They make a million retarded but relatively innocent or innuendo jokes about the apple.

Ni - They take a million years to answer.

Fe (because it's a special, annoying function that all of you ESFJs use) - They choose the answer which will either (1) be most flattering to themselves when they tell others, or (2) not stand out too much from the norm of the other replies in the thread.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
tbh my response to the Apple pic/question would probably be along the lines of the Se response; I wouldn't be inclined to ruminate (I don't think) about an apple.

I think context and random chance contributes to how someone decides to view an item.

It's not like adults are stupid. People of any type are fully capable of looking at an apple and seeing both concrete and abstract qualities of it. The same thing with a compass. ESPECIALLY when one is taking a personality test.

I think we see type better in terms of our time investments and what we prioritize in typical situations, especially when the need is pressing.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If apples don't inspire more than 'it's an apple,' what about other signs?

Compass.jpg

Compasses, for example, have pretty distinct physical features, utility, tangential connections, and inner meaning.

Nope, I am shallow. A compass is a tool and an apple is a piece of food. Some people like to take things like direction and then extrapolate it out to all these other things that tie to "direction" and then tie it to direction in life, what should I be, bring in some Pirates of the carribean and tie it to jacks compass of what one wants. I dont get that. A compass is a compass. An object is an object. Things that "explain" have more meaning then some imaginary connections. I enjoy those, but I dont really make those types of connections.

To me a connection is when you can take 2 things that are simliar and use them to explain each other. Like when you use a desk to explain computer memory, or a file cabinet to explain a hard drive. Its kinda like the philosophy of why and then making horizontal shifts across differnt things that are similiar in how they work or function.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
bunch of sfj males on here think they're ntps.
very, very funny. and they all kinda flock
together.

Who are these people?

Here. :hi: I'm actually female but I'm been miscast as male. And there are a couple on here who have typed me ISFJ.

Nah, it's a very flawed mindset. Though, when you think "famous author/filmmaker/intellectual/whatever", ISFJ is not quite what springs to mind. They seem to be content with personally fulfilling but low-rank and invisible positions, hence the stereotype...

One of my dearest friends is an ISFJ and he is such an impressive (not to mention creative and intelligent) person. He has less than zero desire to be famous, though I think he dreams of pushing forward some family or friend run business that he'd like to be very successful. In my experience with ISFJs, they want to take care of their friends/family and everyone else can go screw themselves.

If you are dismissive of "personally fulfilling but low-rank and invisible positions" then you are distinctly unlike any ISFJ I have ever met. Not only do ISFJs not dismiss the worth of it, they take a particular pride in it. Like ISTJs they get off on knowing that everything is working and everyone is working together on their diligent, caring, watch. I have never met an ISFJ who was angstful about anything so self-centered and needlessly abstract as typing themselves. I would also suspect there are very few ISFJs in this community.

Why couldn't an ISFJ feel this way? If it's not an ISFJ mindset, what type do you think would be most likely to have this mentality?
I admit to struggling with this and I have considered ISFJ as a possible type in the past but eventually settled on INTP.

I know I've often felt more invisible and underappreciated than I'd like and wish I could put myself more "out there." yet at the same time I really didn't want all that attention and the possible scrutiny.

Could put a picture in front of a person and ask them for their impressions of the picture, or give them an object. Sensors will more likely first notice the colors, shapes, forms of the object. Even will a well-researched perspective of the picture, they will still focus on how it looks, what is really there, or based on their experiences. Intuitives will look for hidden meanings behind the picture, or fuse their own personal abstract connections to said picture.

36GreenPage.jpg

Could use a picture of an apple and ask someone to give their interpretation of it.

For sensors:
Se- focus on the color, shape, size, taste, texture, shadow. "That apple looks shiny and red." Will likely take said apple and eat it, or play around with it in their hands, examining what it looks like. More likely to savor the flavor of the apple, take in as much characteristics of the apple as they can. They will likely describe these characteristics more. This will be second nature to those with Se.

So much for claiming Se to be one of my weakest functions because almost everything that first came to mind was Se stuff. Except for the association with computers.

I would actually throw this bit into the Se category, or possibly Ti. Unless I have really over-active Ni, which seems unlikely. The Se category seems a bit superficial in general. The rest looks pretty spot-on, though. At least in the sense that I don't relate to them at all, haha.

ex: my impression would be something like "that's an apple, it's red and shiny, looks ripe, probably red delicious variety, grows on trees, made of plant cells, result of fertilization which is usually done by bees, red colour comes from pigments, full of energy for the growing seed, tasty in order to attract birds and animals in order to spread the seeds, crisp because of cell walls which keep cells plump + the waxy material produced in the skin, modern apple is result of evolution and selective breeding". Along those lines.

I definitely would not think about what an apple symbolized to me or society, how it made me feel, etc, unless prompted to do so. Or even what to do with it. I'd be focusing on the intrinsic qualities of the apple, in the context of everything I know about it. Presumably that would involve Ti/Se with a touch of Ni, for me.

Same here. Ti + Se going by that. Pretty sure I'm not ISTP though.

Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to come across as disdainful... In fact, I think I'd enjoy having one of these more "invisible" careers (though that could be my desire to avoid scrutiny talking). ISFJs are awesome and good and sweet and talented and have the natural scent of fresh green apples. :sorry:

It's just... Sometimes things like that just get to you. Looking at all those people who are bringing beautiful, innovative things to fruition and feeling like yes, those low-rank jobs are necessary, but inferior to the artistic/scentific/whatever ones - they're unique, bright, they're someone; you, on the other hand, are expendable, interchangeable. It's not a very rational feeling, but it stings to think about it. :(

/Viridan's many issues

I can painfully relate.

Unfortunately the sad fact of our lives is that we cant all reach for the stars, if we do...who is going to build the ladder to help prop up those who have the ability to do so?

It's not nice, but so very little is. I was able to make peace with it though, once id got over my own lack of innovation and ingenuity.

I think anyone can reach for the stars but not everyone will get there. Also, why can't you be both the ladder builder and then prop yourself up? What about the people who start businesses from scratch and their company succeeds big time?

Also, alot of people succeed by copying other people and doing a hell of alot of self- promoting. You don't need much innovation or ingenuity to do that. Sometimes the truly innovative people don't get the credit.

The apple looks like an ass. I guess that must be Se with one level of abstraction via Ni. Or maybe it's Si because it's what I think an ass should look like, taken up one level of abstraction by Ne.

Ne - They make a million retarded but relatively innocent or innuendo jokes about the apple.

Fe (because it's a special, annoying function that all of you ESFJs use) - They choose the answer which will either (1) be most flattering to themselves when they tell others, or (2) not stand out too much from the norm of the other replies in the thread.

I'm Si/Ne going by that. :D

What about Ti, Te, and Fi?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

A peach or something with that crease down it looks more like an ass. Maybe a slightly peach fuzzy ass...you know like when you see a close up of a womans ass and it has this slight peach fuzz/soft look to it. Of course that could just be make up sometimes as well. :drool: of course this leads to wanting to grab one...which leads to...ummm....lots of grabbing and squeezing....ummm....yeah....squeezing peaches until the juice starts to drip...ok...which section of the forum are we in? Yeah, ok...:doh: For those that really want to know the connections :doh:

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think context and random chance contributes to how someone decides to view an item.

It's not like adults are stupid. People of any type are fully capable of looking at an apple and seeing both concrete and abstract qualities of it. The same thing with a compass. ESPECIALLY when one is taking a personality test.

Yeah, for the question about the apple- context would pretty much determine my answer (who I'm talking to, what we were just talking about, etc.) Even if it were during a personality test, I think, the last thing my attention was invested in and who directly was asking the question would influence my answer (if someone impatient/just wanted barest facts was asking- even though it's a personality test, I pick up on stuff like that and my mind would draw a blank if I was dealing with someone who didn't have patience for anything more than 'red').

The compass however is already kind of loaded with symbolism for me, so a longer answer comes to mind. I think about the movie Map of the Human Heart, a sculpture my friend did after seeing the movie and the many discussions it led to. [Though again, if the person asking me was really impatient I'd have to give a quick answer.]

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Why couldn't an ISFJ feel this way? If it's not an ISFJ mindset, what type do you think would be most likely to have this mentality?
I admit to struggling with this and I have considered ISFJ as a possible type in the past but eventually settled on INTP.

I know I've often felt more invisible and underappreciated than I'd like and wish I could put myself more "out there." yet at the same time I really didn't want all that attention and the possible scrutiny.

(...)

I can painfully relate.

With each passing day, I become more convinced that you're secretly my doppelganger. :shock:

With a doppelganger brofist -> :hifive:, I thus end my egocentric tangent. Also, still no barbs from Orangey, I see. :/

Arkigos

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
xxx
Apple interpretations:

Se: Picks up apple and throws it at you. Laughs and gets ready for you to throw it back.... setting in motion an awesome night that you both remember and talk about for years.
Si: Wonders if there are enough apples to make a pie. Memorized the recipe long ago and knows everyone loves it - probably remembers precisely the last time they made it.
Ne: Imagines the apple as a passive protagonist in a story where serendipitous and ironic events involving the apple take place to a group of interesting strangers.
Ni: Realizes the apple would make a wonderful symbol for the new Foundation they are helping to get off the ground. Devises meaning for each color and it's placement. Fancifully thinks of this test as having been destined to show them the right symbol at the right time.

and..

Fe: "No, you have the apple."
Fi: "Sweet! Thanks! You are the BEST!"
Te: "Why do you always choose apples? Not that I'm complaining."
Ti: "I wonder what the average annual apple yield is in North America."

Mostly just joking but I think that's pretty accurate, yeah?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
With each passing day, I become more convinced that you're secretly my doppelganger. :shock:

With a doppelganger brofist -> :hifive:, I thus end my egocentric tangent. Also, still no barbs from Orangey, I see. :/

Just wait.

Apple interpretations:

Se: Picks up apple and throws it at you. Laughs and gets ready for you to throw it back.... setting in motion an awesome night that you both remember and talk about for years.
Si: Wonders if there are enough apples to make a pie. Memorized the recipe long ago and knows everyone loves it - probably remembers precisely the last time they made it.
Ne: Imagines the apple as a passive protagonist in a story where serendipitous and ironic events involving the apple take place to a group of interesting strangers.
Ni: Realizes the apple would make a wonderful symbol for the new Foundation they are helping to get off the ground. Devises meaning for each color and it's placement. Fancifully thinks of this test as having been destined to show them the right symbol at the right time.

and..

Fe: "No, you have the apple."
Fi: "Sweet! Thanks! You are the BEST!"
Te: "Why do you always choose apples? Not that I'm complaining."
Ti: "I wonder what the average annual apple yield is in North America."

Mostly just joking but I think that's pretty accurate, yeah?

That settles it. I don't have a type. :doh:

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If apples don't inspire more than 'it's an apple,' what about other signs?

Compass.jpg

Compasses, for example, have pretty distinct physical features, utility, tangential connections, and inner meaning.

I thought something like "finally this thread gets the right direction" and noticed that the compass already knows how to find NE and SE :p

Then I think the thread needs more pictures.

8050443403_d388d6d1fb.jpg

Ask your questionable friend where this car is going.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I think anyone can reach for the stars but not everyone will get there. Also, why can't you be both the ladder builder and then prop yourself up? What about the people who start businesses from scratch and their company succeeds big time?

Also, alot of people succeed by copying other people and doing a hell of alot of self- promoting. You don't need much innovation or ingenuity to do that. Sometimes the truly innovative people don't get the credit.

Yeah, so if you cant get there you shouldn't try. Most people ought to already know their limitations. Incidentally very few people truely stand on their own tod when it comes to so called 'self-made-men/women'. Often there is lots of help along the way.

Most people, (such as myself), just shouldn't try. Of course I wouldn't try to discourage people as it seems im trying to, but this is a little obscure forum it's easy to be mr personally honest online.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
If I was at an MBTI workshop, that's how I'd answer.

I doubt that they invite frustrated old men to mbti workshops, they need young flesh that can be indoctrinated. :D

Jaguar

I doubt that they invite frustrated old men to mbti workshops, they need young flesh that can be indoctrinated. :D

Considering how much I make fun of MBTI over the years, I thought people would know I was being sarcastic.
I would never go to an MBTI workshop. I can only imagine the nonsense that would take place. :biggrin: