User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Hmm in regards to the apple question my first response would probably be "Why are you asking me to interpret an apple?" and perhaps secondly "Why an apple and not x/y/z etc." In regards to the latter situations where I find myself asking "why not x, y, z" they usually have some sort of connection e.g. all are possessions owned by the person asking the question or alternatively they are connected solely through my own experiences e.g. "The day I was going for a job interview I was eating an apple whilst using item x and thinking about y." I have always believed myself to be NeSi (with the what ifs being treated as fun idea exploration.) I can't see myself using the Ne example response that much or the Si example response either (beyond initial description I would compare it to my life/life of collective humanity or what it means to me/people on the whole.)

garbage

My first thought was that it was an apple

My second thought was along the lines of the Ne and Ni descriptions, but mostly the latter. It's hard to tease out the exact distinctions between 'what something actually means,' 'what society has conditioned us that it means,' and 'what it means to me.' Sometimes they're all one in the same, and sometimes the very fact that we perceive through our own lens will naturally conflate 'what it means to me' with 'what it actually does mean.'

Then again, the exact distinctions between cognitive functions themselves can be kinda difficult to tease out.

I'd think that perhaps Ne would use the apple as a starting point in a chain and eventually not even be talking about apples anymore. That is, everything in your paragraph followed by a tangent that ends with a discussion about rockets or something.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Regarding the apple, I thought about perfect untouched things, about how it looked too perfect to be entirely healthy, about the Apple symbol but without the bite, about whether the bite represented the apple from Eden or something else, and about stock photography.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Anew Leaf

I looked at the apple and saw a grid on its skin and then I started thinking about coordinates on graph paper and how one could go about graphing an apple into the x-y axis and still have it be an apple but perhaps more than an apple and yet less of an apple because that crisp fresh surge in your mouth would not be there but instead you would just pinpoint in space and time: here be an apple.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Arkigos View Post
    One of my dearest friends is an ISFJ and he is such an impressive (not to mention creative and intelligent) person. He has less than zero desire to be famous, though I think he dreams of pushing forward some family or friend run business that he'd like to be very successful. In my experience with ISFJs, they want to take care of their friends/family and everyone else can go screw themselves.

If you are dismissive of "personally fulfilling but low-rank and invisible positions" then you are distinctly unlike any ISFJ I have ever met. Not only do ISFJs not dismiss the worth of it, they take a particular pride in it. Like ISTJs they get off on knowing that everything is working and everyone is working together on their diligent, caring, watch. I have never met an ISFJ who was angstful about anything so self-centered and needlessly abstract as typing themselves. I would also suspect there are very few ISFJs in this community.
    Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to come across as disdainful... In fact, I think I'd enjoy having one of these more "invisible" careers (though that could be my desire to avoid scrutiny talking). ISFJs are awesome and good and sweet and talented and have the natural scent of fresh green apples.

It's just... Sometimes things like that just get to you. Looking at all those people who are bringing beautiful, innovative things to fruition and feeling like yes, those low-rank jobs are necessary, but inferior to the artistic/scentific/whatever ones - they're unique, bright, they're someone; you, on the other hand, are expendable, interchangeable. It's not a very rational feeling, but it stings to think about it.

/Viridan's many issues
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to come across as disdainful... In fact, I think I'd enjoy having one of these more "invisible" careers (though that could be my desire to avoid scrutiny talking). ISFJs are awesome and good and sweet and talented and have the natural scent of fresh green apples.

It's just... Sometimes things like that just get to you. Looking at all those people who are bringing beautiful, innovative things to fruition and feeling like yes, those low-rank jobs are necessary, but inferior to the artistic/scentific/whatever ones - they're unique, bright, they're someone; you, on the other hand, are expendable, interchangeable. It's not a very rational feeling, but it stings to think about it.

/Viridan's many issues
    Unfortunately the sad fact of our lives is that we cant all reach for the stars, if we do...who is going to build the ladder to help prop up those who have the ability to do so?

It's not nice, but so very little is. I was able to make peace with it though, once id got over my own lack of innovation and ingenuity.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    I wouldn't be inclined to ruminate (I don't think) about an apple.
    Yeah... my first impression when looking at that picture of the apple, was simply to note that it was an apple. Why give it much more thought than that?

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Regarding the apple, I thought about perfect untouched things, about how it looked too perfect to be entirely healthy, about the Apple symbol but without the bite, about whether the bite represented the apple from Eden or something else, and about stock photography.
    Having been asked to give my interpretation of it, I thought pretty much the same that SilkRoad did. It's too perfect -- especially with the plastic-y looking, precisely oriented leaf. While it looks like a perfectionist's ideal of an apple, it made me think of advertising, and the disgusting things done to food in the name of on-film visual appeal (vaseline on hamburgers to make them shiny, etc.). What sort of deception and/or manipulation is going on here, and to what end?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

garbage

If apples don't inspire more than 'it's an apple,' what about other signs?

Compasses, for example, have pretty distinct physical features, utility, tangential connections, and inner meaning.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    If apples don't inspire more than 'it's an apple,' what about other signs?

Compasses, for example, have pretty distinct physical features, utility, tangential connections, and inner meaning.
    Huh, I actually see far less meaning in the compass than in the apple. It's just a tool, whereas the apple is life. Probably just reflects that I'm a bio nerd.
    -end of thread-