User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Imagine for a second that you'ld build a battlesuit with enhanced vision, hearing, smelling and a tactical head up display. And if you were wearing that for the rest of your life, would that turn you into a sensor ? Or would the user of that system be a huge windows vista as in drain of ressources ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    So there is this fellow I met, who scored pretty balanced on the test I gave him (just the short one on similar minds) and he got ENxP (50/50 T/F). I would have typed him as an ISFP initially. He doesn't really spell correctly and he speaks less abstractly than I do (I think).

So how do you tell when someone is truly a sensor? Functions test?
    I'm not sure that those are really telling traits. I spell very well (when I'm paying attention, haha - not always the case here), and I know intuitives that don't speak "abstractly" at all. You can easily have a preference for straightforward communication while still thinking more along abstract lines.

Some people are also close to balanced, making it harder to tell. I'm not sure if there's an easy way to tell for people who aren't extreme in either direction. Function tests sometimes work but can be hard to interpret correctly - Se can often look like Ne, Ne can look like Ni, Se can look like Si, etc etc. I've tended to go with overall descriptions and function combinations for myself (i.e. I like Ti and Ni, so even though I don't identify that much with Se, I've ended up in the istp box). It really depends. Probably the best is just a comprehensive examination of everything - functions, overall type, whatever that thing is called that makes me a "chart-the-course type", etc. And a lot of introspection, of course.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    I would have typed him as an ISFP initially. He doesn't really spell correctly and he speaks less abstractly than I do (I think).
    are sensors supposed to be bad spellers now? what does that have to do with anything?

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Imagine for a second that you'ld build a battlesuit with enhanced vision, hearing, smelling and a tactical head up display. And if you were wearing that for the rest of your life, would that turn you into a sensor ? Or would the user of that system be a huge windows vista as in drain of ressources ?
    Well I imagine the idea behind sensing is that it is a cognitive interpretation of what the senses tell you, rather than literally.....oh smells...sounds...sights.....like a dog.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Anew Leaf

What if you sensed that you could soar if only you had wings to span the length of your dreams?

garbage

I came telling that I am an ESTJ and they pushed me in the entp corner....
    I came on as ESFJ. Turned out that I was just in a manic phase

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Could put a picture in front of a person and ask them for their impressions of the picture, or give them an object. Sensors will more likely first notice the colors, shapes, forms of the object. Even will a well-researched perspective of the picture, they will still focus on how it looks, what is really there, or based on their experiences. Intuitives will look for hidden meanings behind the picture, or fuse their own personal abstract connections to said picture.

Could use a picture of an apple and ask someone to give their interpretation of it.

For sensors:
    Se- focus on the color, shape, size, taste, texture, shadow. "That apple looks shiny and red." Will likely take said apple and eat it, or play around with it in their hands, examining what it looks like. More likely to savor the flavor of the apple, take in as much characteristics of the apple as they can. They will likely describe these characteristics more. This will be second nature to those with Se.

Si- focus on how said color is the "proper" color of an apple, "proper" size and shape of it. Recalling what type of apple it is, how properties of how it looks, feels, tastes, are related to the variety of apple. Past memories and experiences associated with apples (i.e. Mom's apple pie), and how it makes them feel. Focusing on ageless customs associated with apples, for instance making apple pie during Thanksgiving or Christmas. Or they may focus on the fact that the apple doesn't look the same as ones they are used to, doesn't taste the same. "This is how we've always done things with apples." This will come naturally for those with Si.

For intuitives:
    Ne- focus on the implied meaning of what apples are. Apples signify "knowledge", "learning", "temptation", and juggling with the varying interpretations of what the apple represents, thinking all interpretations are true. "This apple implies A, B, C, D, and they all have a unified theme, which ties into knowledge/learning." They will brainstorm aloud what the possible meanings are behind the apple, and find a unified theme by bouncing ideas off of someone else. They would likely use an apple to create change in a social atmosphere, "let this apple help you to find your path to knowledge." This will come instinctively to one with Ne.

Ni- Will focus on what the apple symbolizes for them in their own personal goals and dreams. Apples being a symbol of the wisdom they seek in their pursuit of higher enlightenment, for instance. To achieve higher insight, an Ni-dom will focus on the apple and how it's made up of a certain type of atoms, cells, the inner workings of how it formed. This will help them to understand how plants work, for learning's sake. They will also focus on how it's also a part of the plant's reproductive cycle, and relate it to their own transformation, perhaps one's own way of bearing fruits in the pursuit of their goals. They may connect it to seemingly unrelated abstract concepts in their mind, be it a piece of music or literature, that also represents the same symbolic connection. It becomes a driving symbol for their personal journey to deeper understanding. Even the falling of an apple may be connected to an intuitive's connection to what they think will happen in interpersonal relationships, as well as it being an omen of what will come in the future. More likely to use apples to speak in metaphor about a goal or dream they wish to achieve. This will come instinctively to one with Ni.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I saw the apple and my first thought was 'strawberry'. Then I wondered if that was in fact its stem and leaf on top, or if had managed to suck in its entire tree in an act of matricide with only a bit of branch and a leaf sticking out of it's cloaca. I must be some undiscovered cognitive function. (or most likely, that was Ne)

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    To achieve higher insight, an Ni-dom will focus on the apple and how it's made up of a certain type of atoms, cells, the inner workings of how it formed.
    I would actually throw this bit into the Se category, or possibly Ti. Unless I have really over-active Ni, which seems unlikely. The Se category seems a bit superficial in general. The rest looks pretty spot-on, though. At least in the sense that I don't relate to them at all, haha.

ex: my impression would be something like "that's an apple, it's red and shiny, looks ripe, probably red delicious variety, grows on trees, made of plant cells, result of fertilization which is usually done by bees, red colour comes from pigments, full of energy for the growing seed, tasty in order to attract birds and animals in order to spread the seeds, crisp because of cell walls which keep cells plump + the waxy material produced in the skin, modern apple is result of evolution and selective breeding". Along those lines.

I definitely would not think about what an apple symbolized to me or society, how it made me feel, etc, unless prompted to do so. Or even what to do with it. I'd be focusing on the intrinsic qualities of the apple, in the context of everything I know about it. Presumably that would involve Ti/Se with a touch of Ni, for me.
    -end of thread-

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

tbh my response to the Apple pic/question would probably be along the lines of the Se response; I wouldn't be inclined to ruminate (I don't think) about an apple.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ