• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

would you change your type if you could?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think being more extroverted, less sensitive, and more able to have an F-U mentality when younger probably would have made things a lot easier / I would have been more able to be happy.

But I like who I am and don't think I'd change that, even if it means I'm kinda on my own in a lot of ways and it does cause me problems/issues.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
MBTI: yes, INTJ or ENTJ
Enneagram: yes, 8w7 or 3w4
Instinct Variant: no ;)

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
MBTI: Sometimes I wish I was more extraverted. Then again I have moments where I embrace my introversion. I think I've wished to be most of the types at one time or another. It would be interesting if we could rotate between all 16 of the types. I suppose we might lose some of our self-identity doing that.

Enneagram: More 7 and 8ish. Again would be interesting to rotate between the types.

Variant: I probably wouldn't change it but sometimes I wonder how my life would be different if I had more SX.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've heard similar things from other thinkers, usually during a conversation telling me how my ability to deal with feelings is a benefit somehow. And it's not really an ability per se, it's just that I have to do something or I'll be a useless mess

I just cannot imagine why anyone would want this. I've heard that from enough thinkers that I know it's a genuine desire...but... why? lol
Not all thinkers have this desire. I certainly do not. Yes, the ability to deal with feelings and with people is a benefit, one I lack. But my ability to deal with logistics and contingencies and even to put aside feelings is a benefit as well. It can be tempting to find the grass greener on the other side of the fence, but the neighbors might not have my prolific tomato plants, or your lovely rose garden. I have never wished to be other than I am, because I know that getting different abilities would mean accepting different flaws. It is no net gain, just a different way to be. I am comfortable, productive, and fulfilled as I am, so why change?

It doesn't help to be rational
When people are irrational.

It's hard to ever feel "moved" if you are always in the perspective of thinking and evaluating.

Expressing emotion or dealing with feelings are unjustifiable even when it's necessary.
When other people are being irrational, it doesn't help to add one more irrational person to the mix. It may be harder for NTs, especially NTJs, to feel moved, but is certainly not impossible. Those of us that want that experience just need to learn to understand what will produce it, and seek that out, or seize the moment when it appears. Expressing emotion and dealing with feelings is difficult even when it is necessary, but easily avoided in the many situations where it is counterproductive.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
When other people are being irrational, it doesn't help to add one more irrational person to the mix. [/QUOTE]

I meant in responding to other people's emotions or trying to determine how they will react to things not in reference to problem solving. People don't always do the rational thing so it makes them hard to predict. My friend Peter gets in moods where he says everyone hates him. I used to try to point out that that was stupid thought with him to disastrous results. Now I've learned that he just wants to be heard. Sometimes on paper you're perfect for someone but t just doesn't work. When people are feeling things a rational approach doesn't always work.

It may be harder for NTs, especially NTJs, to feel moved, but is certainly not impossible. Those of us that want that experience just need to learn to understand what will produce it, and seek that out, or seize the moment when it appears.

I never said impossible only hard. I think seeking out opportunities to be moved is counterproductive. You are just analyzing your level of "movedness" the whole time. As soon as I become aware that I might me be move the moment is lost because I being to evaluate it.

Expressing emotion and dealing with feelings is difficult even when it is necessary, but easily avoided in the many situations where it is counterproductive.

I think NTs, at least myself, designate emotions as counterproductive more often than they should.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I meant in responding to other people's emotions or trying to determine how they will react to things not in reference to problem solving. People don't always do the rational thing so it makes them hard to predict. My friend Peter gets in moods where he says everyone hates him. I used to try to point out that that was stupid thought with him to disastrous results. Now I've learned that he just wants to be heard. Sometimes on paper you're perfect for someone but t just doesn't work. When people are feeling things a rational approach doesn't always work.
The highlighted is a rational response. You have evaluated the situation logically, determined that your original approach has been ineffective, and identified a more productive response -- just listening to your friend. Forcing someone else to analyze their troubles logically is not always the most logical course of action.

I never said impossible only hard. I think seeking out opportunities to be moved is counterproductive. You are just analyzing your level of "movedness" the whole time. As soon as I become aware that I might me be move the moment is lost because I being to evaluate it.
I suppose that depends on what you find moving. I am frequently moved by art, as well as by nature. I can easily seek out such opportunities by going hiking in parks or nature preserves, listening to music, visiting museums, even just reading a good book or watching the sunset. For the rest of it, I just watch for unexpected opportunities that come along.

gromit

likes this
I like who I am. I don't think I would want to be different. Perhaps a bit more J, but not a full-out J. Just a bit more controlled P. Naw. Nevermind.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The highlighted is a rational response. You have evaluated the situation logically, determined that your original approach has been ineffective, and identified a more productive response -- just listening to your friend. Forcing someone else to analyze their troubles logically is not always the most logical course of action.

Rational egoism maybe but I would argue not purely rational since it involves acting in accordance to irrational thoughts based on misinterpretations of reality. It don't think it's reasonable to indulge someone who is being stupid but it is convenient. I would call altering your behavior to respond to non-facts strategic not rational.

Coriolis;1968821 I suppose that depends on what you find moving. I am frequently moved by art said:
:shrug: I'm not so easily moved. I love nature, or art (and I'm an artist). Even if I can appreciate it I'm not absorbed by it. It is easier to get lost in music though but it's still, most of the time, catharsis than like the sublime. It's a medium through which to fell rather than something that evokes great feelings in and of itself.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Rational egoism maybe but I would argue not purely rational since it involves acting in accordance to irrational thoughts based on misinterpretations of reality. It don't think it's reasonable to indulge someone who is being stupid but it is convenient. I would call altering your behavior to respond to non-facts strategic not rational.

I suppose that depends on what you find moving. I am frequently moved by art, as well as by nature. I can easily seek out such opportunities by going hiking in parks or nature preserves, listening to music, visiting museums, even just reading a good book or watching the sunset. For the rest of it, I just watch for unexpected opportunities that come along.

:shrug: I'm not so easily moved. I love nature, or art (and I'm an artist). Even if I can appreciate it I'm not absorbed by it. It is easier to get lost in music though but it's still, most of the time, catharsis than like the sublime. It's a medium through which to fell rather than something that evokes great feelings in and of itself.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I definitely drink to feel. But I wouldn't describe thinking as quiet. It's still loud just different messages. Analyzing everything to death. Not being able to just accepting things "just cause" because the "wrongness of it gnaws at you.

Yes to this.

i'd like to be an extrovert. i think i'd have more fun.
And this.

MBTI: I think I've wished to be most of the types at one time or another. It would be interesting if we could rotate between all 16 of the types. I suppose we might lose some of our self-identity doing that.

This is my goal. What self identity? I exist as nothing but reflections.

Oh my gosh, I've thought this exact same thing and done exactly this so many times.
*This is one reason I still think I'm (basically) INTP; because I identify completely with what so many INTP's write. Things that used to make me feel like I was just weird. More so than any other type.
I think NTs, at least myself, designate emotions as counterproductive more often than they should.
This too. But more about that later.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

It is not absolute or guaranteed, and not all natural settings or works of art and literature are equally moving. But I have a greater chance of running across a few that are if I indulge in these activities now and then rather than avoid them. Meanwhile, I will get exercise, learn things, and enjoy aesthetic experiences.

As for strategy, I find it a rational process in general, based upon cause and effect relationships. The strategy for a specific situation depends on one's goals or preferred outcome. In your example, this could be helping your friend, or just the convenience of minimizing the energy you need to expend. "Acting in accordance with irrational thoughts" is not the same as considering another person's irrational thoughts when deciding how to respond. The first would be foolish indeed, while the second is often helpful.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As for me:
Would I change my type? I'd have to have a definite type first. I'm:
(mostly) INTP,
(almost as much) INTJ,
(sort of) INFX;
(mostly) INXX,
(definitely) XNXX.

I wouldn't want to change that last one.

That's the good thing about having X's; I change all the time. ;)

As far as qualities in myself go: I'm always pushing myself to get out of my comfort zone and socialize, so I can become more extroverted. The more I act like an extrovert, the more I like it and the easier it gets. I don't know if I'd like to have always been an extrovert though; maybe I wouldn't be as introspective. I'm developing my Se, and paying attention to things in the moment around me. I'm developing Te as far as logistics and managing time are concerned. In this way I'm becoming more J-like. I'd really like to be that organized and productive. I'd like to be able to stick to a schedule, provided it had some flexibility and room for spontaneous fun things. I'd like to be able to shut my brain off and just feel more easily. I'm scared of it; I don't want to lose control, or lose my sense of being a detached observer in any situation. I don't want to ever be irrational. My (negative) emotions make me irrational, and I hate it. I've always been good at ignoring them until it's no longer possible; but after that I have to do something about it. I have no problem with emotions in general; I just don't want them to control me. (And I'd really rather not ever be sad or depressed for very long; luckily I never am.) I want to use them for productive purposes. I've spent years fighting with myself and learning how to do this; I'm still not perfect at it, but pretty good. I think I'm a T, but if not whatever. I probably change between the two of them, so it's all good. Living in harmony with both thinking and feeling is the best way, I think.

So in conclusion: more E, better S, better T and F, and more J. I want to truly become XNXX.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And... It's silly for anyone to think otherwise really. I mean there are awesome/wretched people of every type so it's no excuse.

I think at the moment I'd change because I feel kind of mentally/emotionally tired. At more upbeat moments I don't think I would. I know I have stuff I can improve and still be an INFJ. ;) Thing is, if I was an ESTP or ESTJ presumably I would not be the same person at all...which is weird to contemplate.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I like being INFJ, but wouldn't mind a bit more Fi and perhaps Si in my life :blush:

G

Glycerine

Sometimes I wonder what having more unbridled Fe would be like? I control it so much that it almost seems secondary. However, it rears it ugly head when I have too much bottled up, Fe takes over full force in a negative fashion.

Standuble

I like being INFJ, but wouldn't mind a bit more Fi and perhaps Si in my life :blush:

Fi and Si are nice but there have been times in the past where I have wondered whether they are more novelties than anything (especially the Fi.) The Fi isn't about being emotional or "feeling deeply" so much, just placing personal value on certain ideas, situations and ways of thinking from your own evaluation (I can't tell you the number of times I have felt emotionally blunted and "emotionally hollow" inside.) You can't comfortably violate it and your values are very difficult to adjust consciously. In the end you're using a system the world has little need for comprised of personal values few if any people care about (and why should they exactly?) But it's not all bad I suppose. When I do feel emotion I know exactly what I'm feeling and how strong the emotion is. Knowing the reason why takes more contemplation. But I do not know (nor can test) to see whether this is any different from most of the population.

Can I swap cognitive functions with you? The idea of being Ni-dominant has intrigued me in the past (if only as a research experiment.) Thanks.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Fi and Si are nice but there have been times in the past where I have wondered whether they are more novelties than anything (especially the Fi.) The Fi isn't about being emotional or "feeling deeply" so much, just placing personal value on certain ideas, situations and ways of thinking from your own evaluation (I can't tell you the number of times I have felt emotionally blunted and "emotionally hollow" inside.) You can't comfortably violate it and your values are very difficult to adjust consciously. In the end you're using a system the world has little need for comprised of personal values few if any people care about (and why should they exactly?) But it's not all bad I suppose. When I do feel emotion I know exactly what I'm feeling and how strong the emotion is. Knowing the reason why takes more contemplation. But I do not know (nor can test) to see whether this is any different from most of the population.
That is very interesting. The thing I feel a bit uneasy about with Fe is that it is too easily affected by external factors. I feel like with enough evidence I can be convinced something is right. For example, if I live in a tribe where human sacrifice is practiced, I'm afraid that I will view it as acceptable, and that is a little scary. I don't believe that there is absolute good or evil, and I know that Fe or Fi, people in a certain environment will have certain values. However, this implies is that my values are mutable, and because of this everything becomes grey area. Sometimes I feel like I can sympathize with everyone that I feel like I might lose my sense of self. I know everyone's values will change over time, but the fact that Fe is out there and so exposed, I can't help but feel a sense of vulnerability - that it can be manipulated. With Fi, whether right or wrong, at least you can still know that it's YOU.

Can I swap cognitive functions with you? The idea of being Ni-dominant has intrigued me in the past (if only as a research experiment.) Thanks.
I'd love to! There's nothing great about being an Ni-dom, to be honest. It feels like a cat with its paws stuck in a ball of yarn trying to get to the center of it, so you keep pulling and pulling endless thread upon thread but you can never get to it. :blush: