User Tag List

123 Last

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default If a personality type/style truly inspires you, what does it mean?

I have a background of trying to be immune to all kinds of influences. I want to recognize the things that have the power to influence me, and decide for my self if I allow them to influence me. Why I'm thinking about this? I recognize some sorts of personality styles that feel very much "me" and inspiring. Oldham Aggressive personality style is one.

What are the chances that a written personality style description will open your eyes and let you become yourself, as opposed to becoming a wannabe personality impersonator of said type?

Do the personality descriptions allow a person to find themselves (if they've lost themselves) or are they just material for idolization?

Thoughts?

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I identify with the Solitary, Adventurous, and Idiosyncratic styles.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    I identify with the Solitary, Adventurous, and Idiosyncratic styles.
    Is that material for self-idolization or self-discovery?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Is that material for self-idolization or self-discovery?
    Well the whole personality theory itself is probably half bogus anyway so theoretically you could say you are whatever personality type(s) you idolize and want to be and be at least half correct!

edit - btw congragulations on 5000+ posts now Mal!

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Well the whole personality theory itself is probably half bogus anyway so theoretically you could say you are whatever personality type(s) you idolize and want to be and be at least half correct!
    So you're saying that half the personality disorders Oldham's types are based on are probably bogus.

edit - btw congragulations on 5000+ posts now Mal!
    As Cheech Wizard would say: Thangewwwww!

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    So you're saying that half the personality disorders Oldham's types are based on are probably bogus.
    Not exactly. I didn't mean half of them are 100% accurate and half of them are 0% accurate. I meant all 14 disorders are roughly 50% accurate more or less.

edit - I would also say the same for MBTI all 16 of them are roughly more or less 50% accurate so typology is not a strict rule but rather a vague guideline.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Not exactly. I didn't mean half of them are 100% accurate and half of them are 0% accurate. I meant all 14 disorders are roughly 50% accurate more or less.

edit - I would also say the same for MBTI all 16 of them are roughly more or less 50% accurate so typology is not a strict rule but rather a vague guideline.
    In order to believe in this stuff at all then, you will have to idolize typology.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

ALL HAIL LORD TYPOLOGY! ALL HAIL LORD TYPOLOGY!

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    Do the personality descriptions allow a person to find themselves (if they've lost themselves) or are they just material for idolization?

Thoughts?
    For most people it will be the second as this is the food that the theory survives on. For others you either need to be so self-assured and happy that you can 'be yourself' regardless of what type you are...or rather have chosen, (at which point you may as well not bother with the theory because clearly you dont need it in the first place).

Or you have to be a complete pessimist...to a fault, so much so that you dont like any type and thus it doesn't matter which you choose as you will still be the miserable cunt you usually are.

The best tactic it seems is to put on an air of pseudo-intellectual arrogance, proclaim all typology to be bullshit...then spend your hours wandering around typology forums still using typology terms while making sure everyone else knows just how much bullshit is involved. If you dont do that...HOW WILL PEOPLE EVER KNOW?

Afterall your opinion is super important and worth the attention of others........go forth and multiply whoever you are!
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

^Are you mad all the time? Your bullshit detector is set on way too high.