• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

If a personality type/style truly inspires you, what does it mean?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I have a background of trying to be immune to all kinds of influences. I want to recognize the things that have the power to influence me, and decide for my self if I allow them to influence me. Why I'm thinking about this? I recognize some sorts of personality styles that feel very much "me" and inspiring. Oldham Aggressive personality style is one.

What are the chances that a written personality style description will open your eyes and let you become yourself, as opposed to becoming a wannabe personality impersonator of said type?

Do the personality descriptions allow a person to find themselves (if they've lost themselves) or are they just material for idolization?

Thoughts?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I identify with the Solitary, Adventurous, and Idiosyncratic styles.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Is that material for self-idolization or self-discovery?

Well the whole personality theory itself is probably half bogus anyway so theoretically you could say you are whatever personality type(s) you idolize and want to be and be at least half correct!

edit - btw congragulations on 5000+ posts now Mal!

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well the whole personality theory itself is probably half bogus anyway so theoretically you could say you are whatever personality type(s) you idolize and want to be and be at least half correct!

So you're saying that half the personality disorders Oldham's types are based on are probably bogus.

edit - btw congragulations on 5000+ posts now Mal!

As Cheech Wizard would say: Thangewwwww!

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So you're saying that half the personality disorders Oldham's types are based on are probably bogus.

Not exactly. I didn't mean half of them are 100% accurate and half of them are 0% accurate. I meant all 14 disorders are roughly 50% accurate more or less.

edit - I would also say the same for MBTI all 16 of them are roughly more or less 50% accurate so typology is not a strict rule but rather a vague guideline.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not exactly. I didn't mean half of them are 100% accurate and half of them are 0% accurate. I meant all 14 disorders are roughly 50% accurate more or less.

edit - I would also say the same for MBTI all 16 of them are roughly more or less 50% accurate so typology is not a strict rule but rather a vague guideline.

In order to believe in this stuff at all then, you will have to idolize typology.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ALL HAIL LORD TYPOLOGY! ALL HAIL LORD TYPOLOGY!
:worthy:

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Do the personality descriptions allow a person to find themselves (if they've lost themselves) or are they just material for idolization?

Thoughts?

For most people it will be the second as this is the food that the theory survives on. For others you either need to be so self-assured and happy that you can 'be yourself' regardless of what type you are...or rather have chosen, (at which point you may as well not bother with the theory because clearly you dont need it in the first place).

Or you have to be a complete pessimist...to a fault, so much so that you dont like any type and thus it doesn't matter which you choose as you will still be the miserable cunt you usually are.

The best tactic it seems is to put on an air of pseudo-intellectual arrogance, proclaim all typology to be bullshit...then spend your hours wandering around typology forums still using typology terms while making sure everyone else knows just how much bullshit is involved. If you dont do that...HOW WILL PEOPLE EVER KNOW?

Afterall your opinion is super important and worth the attention of others........go forth and multiply whoever you are!

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
jT4gn.jpg

Let me develop a typological system on the spot.

Landscapes:
U = More often than not would incline towards urban areas
R = More often than not would incline towards rural areas

Temperature:
H = More often than not, likes heat more
C = More often than not, likes cold more

Driving control:
D = More often than not, likes being in control of the car
P = More often than not, likes being a passenger of the car

Movement:
T = More often than not, likes to constantly travel
S = More often than not, likes to be settled

I am a UHDT.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
^Are you mad all the time? :unsure: Your bullshit detector is set on way too high.

Actually you might be surprised to find out that no im not.

Besides dont worry about my bullshit detector, im as full of it as anyone else, at the very least my bullshit detector detects this unlike many others.

Although I think perhaps I sound more angry than I am.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm a UHDS.
Ah, quite a nice type. Yes, these dichotomies of left and right should be a core basis of understanding the construct of MBTI which a lot of people find it a bit difficult to understand at times.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ah, quite a nice type. Yes, these dichotomies of left and right should be a core basis of understanding the construct of MBTI which a lot of people find it a bit difficult to understand at times.

I'm hoping to see a poll thread on this soon so we can start gathering data and making correlations.

gromit

likes this

Let me develop a typological system on the spot.

Landscapes:
U = More often than not would incline towards urban areas
R = More often than not would incline towards rural areas

Temperature:
H = More often than not, likes heat more
C = More often than not, likes cold more

Driving control:
D = More often than not, likes being in control of the car
P = More often than not, likes being a passenger of the car

Movement:
T = More often than not, likes to constantly travel
S = More often than not, likes to be settled

I am a UHDT.[/QUOTE]

Cool system Oaky. I am UHxS. Probably UHPS.