• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's the difference between an INTP with a heart and an INFP with a head?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Actually, I don't have to ask why. I know why.
It's because within the typology community, ambiguities are considered unsatisfactory or inferior in some way. A type with an X somewhere in their 4-letter code is considered incomplete - an indication that the person doesn't know themselves well enough or isn't "differentiated" enough. Maybe they are going through some kind of life-stage crisis?
This is a gross disservice to the process of self-discovery. Yet this explanation is rife in the literature.

I think its just that people in general dont want to be alone and are the most intrested in themselves. :)

Yeah. So both you and I are un-typable. :) How does this make you feel, and what do you think?

I understand why you'ld say that about you, but was your wink towards me an affront to my gay-streak ? :happy2:

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think its just that people in general dont want to be alone and are the most intrested in themselves. :)
This is definitely true for a lot of people. Myself included.

I understand why you'ld say that about you, but was your wink towards me an affront to my gay-streak ? :happy2:
Haha. I have no idea what you mean, or why being un-typable is related to being gay. I see it as the conclusion if we want to be as accurate as possible. Asking how you feel and think is just a reference to the original post, as an allusion to the ridiculousness of the problem.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I disagree. I think INTPs have scorn for illogical social systems and niceties. It's like those games where you maneuver the mechanical arm to get a prize. You desire and are interested in the prize but playing the game is frustrating and often disappointing.

That's the cover story.

INFP's want to be tough (to protect their Fi), so they try to convince themselves that they hate everyone; but really they love everyone. INTP's want to be diplomatic (to have an audience for their Ti), so they try to convince themselves that they love everyone; but in reality they secretly hate everyone (or if they are good natured, they are simply completely detached).

This is irrefutable, scientific knowledge.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That's the cover story.

INFP's want to be tough (to protect their Fi), so they try to convince themselves that they hate everyone; but really they love everyone. INTP's want to be diplomatic (to have an audience for their Ti), so they try to convince themselves that they love everyone; but in reality they secretly hate everyone (or if they are good natured, they are simply completely detached).

This is irrefutable, scientific knowledge.

I think what you described sounds more ESTP. They have natural charisma but can be very flippant towards people....which only makes people love them more.

I don't think most INTPs really need an audience for their Ti.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think what you described sounds more ESTP. They have natural charisma but can be very flippant towards people....which only makes people love them more.
That's why it's a secret. If they were to do it openly, without wit and charm, they would be forever alone and friendless.

I don't think most INTPs really need an audience for their Ti.
The logic of either hating everyone or being completely detached would suggest not; but the ego has its own needs separate from attachment. There are, of course, those whose Fe is completely unused, who can meet their own ego needs.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That's why it's a secret. If they were to do it openly, without wit and charm, they would be forever alone and friendless.

The logic of either hating everyone or being completely detached would suggest not; but the ego has its own needs separate from attachment. There are, of course, those whose Fe is completely unused, who can meet their own ego needs.

INTPs are behind the scenes people. They don't have an overwhelming desire to lead or control others like say an INTJ. They are concerned more with observation than implementation so it's not as if they who hate everyone for not conforming to their world view. I don't see your line of reasoning besides that it makes INFPs and INtPs into Cherokee proverb-esque duals.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTPs are behind the scenes people. They don't have an overwhelming desire to lead or control others like say an INTJ. They are concerned more with observation than implementation so it's not as if they who hate everyone for not conforming to their world view. I don't see your line of reasoning besides that it makes INFPs and INtPs into Cherokee proverb-esque duals.
I wouldn't say INTJs have a need to lead or control others. We usually prefer to stay in the background ourselves. We do have more of a need to control situations, outcomes, and even our environment. Often the best/only way to do that is to try to influence the behavior of others, or even step into a leadership role, so I can see why it looks like we have a desire to do that. Really, though, we must overcome our natural desire NOT to do that in order to achieve our desired outcome.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And this is pretty much exactly what I've been saying from the beginning (especially the bolded), with the caveat that choosing a type as a best fit (even if the fit is loose) can be helpful. And you see the kind of reception I get.
It is? :huh:

You have a pretty convoluted way of expressing yourself then. Mostly I've seen you try (and fail) to convince people you're an (unorthodox) INTP. Almost as if your life depended on it...
That's why you've had the "reception" you've had.

In fact, you were one of the people I had in mind when I made that post. OP already seems pretty chilled about type ambiguity.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

That's because you're taking it too seriously, and I'm speaking figuratively.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It is? :huh:

You have a pretty convoluted way of expressing yourself then. Mostly I've seen you try (and fail) to convince people you're an (unorthodox) INTP. Almost as if your life depended on it...
That's why you've had the "reception" you've had.

In fact, you were one of the people I had in mind when I made that post. OP already seems pretty chilled about type ambiguity.

You're right, I do. But being ambiguous doesn't mean a type can't mostly fit; that's what I mean. It fits me well enough to use it for practical purposes, but not perfectly, hence not limiting myself to it. If I'm INXP, or INTX, or INXX, that still means I act like INTP some of the time, and if I feel this is my center at this time in my life (however indefinite a center it is), I think people should respect that. That's my opinion on types- people fluctuate. Being an unorthodox INTP really means I'm INTP+INTJ+INFP+INFJ+ENFP+ENTP. So I am, but I'm not. It depends on how you look at typology. I thought it would be obvious to most people that type is sort of fluid, but apparently not.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're right, I do. But being ambiguous doesn't mean a type can't mostly fit; that's what I mean. It fits me well enough to use it for practical purposes, but not perfectly, hence not limiting myself to it.
Which "practical purposes" are those?

I wasn't arguing that type is fluid, but that it does not exist, as defined by MBTI. Period.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTPs are behind the scenes people. They don't have an overwhelming desire to lead or control others like say an INTJ. They are concerned more with observation than implementation so it's not as if they who hate everyone for not conforming to their world view.

True. We just hate people for being idiots/wasting our time. ;)

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Which "practical purposes" are those?

I wasn't arguing that type is fluid, but that it does not exist, as defined by MBTI. Period.

Ah, I see. I believe it does, but that's certainly a valid point of view. I just think they exist very loosely.

Practical purposes meaning understanding myself and helping other people understand me, and then using that knowledge for personal growth; also posting on the forum. In doing these things I use the other types I relate to as well, because it's indefinite; but having one in the center is helpful.

Like, on a thread about environmentalism I'd probably sound really Fi, and I'd decide my Fi function was attached to the matter and I could be an INFP at the moment because it was high in my consciousness at the moment. But in talking about relationships, I'm not like INFP at all, and another type would fit better. Basically, I post as myself first, and then theorize what type my characteristics point to, and it's not always the same.

So as you see in my signature, I am a collection of cognitive functions which look kind of like INTX, but not a specific type.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, and I've modified my beliefs a lot about the system. I used to think I was a lot less ambiguous than I am, but that's because I thought it was reasonable to have a lot of variation in type. Since that's not the popular opinion, I have to have a more vague idea of the system if I believe I fit into it at all. This is the part other people have convinced me of.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
@OP: not to hijack your thread; I think the conversation is relevant, but feel free to tell me to take it somewhere else.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I'm going to get that darn thread deleted.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Why they try to undermine you by implying you're just immature, confused or too easily influenced. (When in fact, it is the most immature, one-dimensional, easily-led people who are the easiest to "type".)

That's quite the compliment!

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ah, I see. I believe it does, but that's certainly a valid point of view. I just think they exist very loosely.

Practical purposes meaning understanding myself and helping other people understand me, and then using that knowledge for personal growth; also posting on the forum. In doing these things I use the other types I relate to as well, because it's indefinite; but having one in the center is helpful.

Like, on a thread about environmentalism I'd probably sound really Fi, and I'd decide my Fi function was attached to the matter and I could be an INFP at the moment because it was high in my consciousness at the moment. But in talking about relationships, I'm not like INFP at all, and another type would fit better. Basically, I post as myself first, and then theorize what type my characteristics point to, and it's not always the same.

So as you see in my signature, I am a collection of cognitive functions which look kind of like INTX, but not a specific type.
I'm not sure in that case if it's helping you understand yourself, or confusing you further. I guess if it gives you a subjective sense of well-being, it serves some purpose.

@OP: not to hijack your thread; I think the conversation is relevant, but feel free to tell me to take it somewhere else.
I'd just like to point out the merits of multi-quote/edit post features. ;)

That's quite the compliment!
You're welcome.
It happens to be true!
And what good is a theory which encourages you to ignore your individual complexity in order to over-identify with narrow aspects of yourself and others?

Back to the OP, there is less difference between an INfP and an INtP than between an INtP and an inTp. The categories are more fluid than they are purported to be.