• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Research idea for Psychology club...need feedback

Ozzy26

MBTI Type
INTP
So I've loved MBTI for a long time (and used to lurk here quite a bit). I became Vice President of my college's psychology club and have been trying to come up with some ideas to discuss during meetings. One thing I would like to do is some campus-wide research.

One of my ideas is an MBTI test. I would like to administer a quick and accurate (the one Keirsey has in his books seem like a good choice) test to the club members, psychology majors, and possibly other majors. I would like to see if we get correlations on majors/interests and MBTI type. I've only talked about this with the President though, so nothing is final. I do have some questions though.

Would anyone recommend a different test (preferably something that is short, as this would be a completely voluntary test)?
MBTI tests can give inaccurate results sometimes based on how people answer the questions. How should I instruct them to answer?
Any other cool research ideas that can be carried out in a semester (possibly relating to MBTI)?
Any other suggestions in general?

Thanks. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Feedback is appreciated :D

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Would anyone recommend a different test (preferably something that is short, as this would be a completely voluntary test)?
The keys II cognition test is the most accurate one I've encountered, even though it's a JCF test which some people don't truly associate with MBTI. I'm not sure it's as short as you're looking for though.

MBTI tests can give inaccurate results sometimes based on how people answer the questions. How should I instruct them to answer?

...Uh, I'd say just tell them to not think about it too much. If they find themselves fluctuating between multiple responses they should probably go with the one that came to mind first.

You probably know the MBTI better than I do anyways, so be sure to take what I say with a grain of salt. Just my two cents.

Ozzy26

MBTI Type
INTP
The keys II cognition test is the most accurate one I've encountered, even though it's a JCF test which some people don't truly associate with MBTI. I'm not sure it's as short as you're looking for though.

Yep, that's the one I was looking at. Its short and simple.

here you go https://www.cpp.com/en/mbtiproducts.aspx?pc=10

i dont think there is any use for free tests or tests outdated by 20 years, since they cant offer the reliability you need for any sort of research.

While I agree, I'd rather try to not spend a lot of money on this if I can. I'd like a free test. With whatever test I get I'm going to have a few close friends take it to see if it can be accurate. I think I'm going to have to provide short type descriptions too in case anyone feels they were typed wrong.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
While I agree, I'd rather try to not spend a lot of money on this if I can. I'd like a free test. With whatever test I get I'm going to have a few close friends take it to see if it can be accurate. I think I'm going to have to provide short type descriptions too in case anyone feels they were typed wrong.

#1 rule to research = use instruments with high enough validity and reliability or dont do it at all, since its just a waste of time due to results not being trustworthy. Wasnt this the first thing they told you in psychological research course?