User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you experience your inferior function?

Dreaming the life Array onemoretime's Avatar

Default How do you experience your inferior function?

There are many things in my life that correlate with descriptions of inferior Si. Amongst them:

- Difficulty accepting how I feel on the inside without a desire to change that
    - Attempting to change those feelings through substances and pleasurable or stimulating activities
    - Taking the above to excess
    - Self-defeating habits that arise as a result of that
    - Difficulty in accessing the experience of strong emotional feelings without external stimulus
    - Desire to take on detail-oriented and consistent tasks, and feeling disappointed when I do not succeed to my satisfaction
    - Desire for a level of financial and material independence
    - Fear that I will be incapable of that independence, and that I will depend on others for basic life tasks
    - A sort of paralysis when overwhelmed by internal states of anxiety
    - Difficulty in recalling the experience of past positive emotional states
    - Desire to maintain the general stability of myself and my surroundings, and a fear of permanently "breaking" anything
    - Sticking with deteriorating relationships longer than is healthy, for fear of losing future possibilities or hopes while having to experience the feelings of loss and grief
    - Difficulty maintaining a healthful diet, preferring expedience over what makes me feel good
    - Tendency to retreat to fantasy when reality is making me feel uncomfortable
    - Tendency to unconsciously and irrationally recall negative memories, and think less of myself as a result

Circumstances in my life have made these particularly pronounced, to the point that it interferes with experiences of Ne preference, while Ti shifts to rationalization. Everything can get focused on one particular source of unease, and stubbornly so. The world starts to be seen in the lens of a stubborn conviction in the things that cannot be done, rather than perceiving what possibilities there are, and honing down from there. Of course, when engaging with others' issues, it's second nature to come up with multiple possibilities.

Feel free to share your experiences of your inferior function.

9w1 sx/so

a lot of those for me too
    and...i'm ridiculously nostalgic
    i miss things often
    i forgive and forget way too easily
    certain times in my life just sort of seem to no longer be a part of me...just poof...gone...don't recall any of it at all
    bad...horrible...pathetic sense of direction...just no internal compass at all
    or i'll just completely remember things wrong
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

4w5 sp/sx

I'm still getting a bead on my Si, but it seems like such a mystical thing to me. I get very weird feelings invoked from sensory impressions, they feel like essences. It can be tied to nostalgia, like the essence of the 70's, or it can be the essence or character of a place.

@Lady X I think I know what you mean about loosing parts of your life, sometimes for me if there's no felt connection, it's as if swaths my life never existed.. being lost can be freeing, or it can be lonely.

? sx/so

For some reason I have a developed Si since a I was a kid. But it does not work the way it should be, it's process is irregular, broken. Here are some characteristics of how my Si is...

-More often than not I like to base stuff I do in past experiences
    -Something ticks inside me when I see, hear, feel something that is not how it is supposed to be. This is more clear when I see words written wrong. I simply know how to write words as I hear them, and I know when they are wrong. I owe my English (that is not the natural language of my country) knowledgement to this ability; I never had English classes in my life.
    - I know a lot of minor random information that I memorize when hear or see them. They are really random and unspecific.
    - I have some sense of sense of direction

Despite all that, I know my Si is not the way it should be, the way ISTJs and ISFJs use it.

7w6 sx/so
    ENFp None

I'm going with all of this, plus a flagrant disregard for tradition.
    Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness." ― Kurt Vonnegut

ENFP. 7w6 – 4w3 – 1w9 sx/so. Aries. Dilettante. Overly anxious optimist.

6w5 sp/so

Emotional outbreaks, sensitivity to negative emotional atmosphere, wanting someone to love me, this is for inferior Fe.
    I found this descriptions of inferior functions interesting Form of Inferior

Junior Member Array

Hmm. I use quite a big deal of Ti in my daily life (ENFJ) as I have a big intellectual interest and a need for mental stimulation. My wish to exhibitionistically show off everything I do and lead groups forward and my passion is just even bigger. But in the past, I have had bad experiences of Ti. Excessive criticism and a general feeling it is always my fault no matter what happens and that I am not good enough and that I need to be perfect. Convoluted logic, only drawing on bits of information that validate my theories. Being lost in a negative, skewed spin and being unable to get out of it, obsessing about "truth" and things in general. Knowing in my head something is wrong, but being unable to escape from it anyways.

I think Ti is the key for me to explore my subconcious and analysing myself and trying to make sense of any ni-ti-theories I find through my connections and relations and whatnot my FeSe throws in my way. In my dreams, my Ti dreams are usually the ones related to understanding my true self and learning more about who I really am. They involve "detective works" "searching for clues" "solving puzzles and mysteries" and basically such stuff. Ti makes my Fe spin. So mental stimulation, makes my need to share and connect and make discernments on it, grow even bigger.

Honor Thy Inferior Array Such Irony's Avatar
    5w6 sp/so
    LII Ne

How inferior Fe manifests in me:

Overreacting emotionally to things, then ruminating about how I overreacted and how I could have been so irrational at the time.

Insecurity about what people really think about me. Are they just saying that to be nice or do they really mean it?

Hypersensitivity to criticism and slights.

When in the grip, I feel all of these emotions bottling up and I literally want to scream or break something as if that's the only way to release right then and there.

A sense of wanting to connect with others but no idea how to go about doing that.
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Neutral Good

Obsession with appearing logical, word choice.
    Critical/sarcasm/peanut gallery
    calculating with a disregard for others/toying with people just for fun

When the need arises and I really care about something, I am able to come up with logically coherent and structured arguments/solutions.

173 so/sx

My good Fi:
    - Very strong principles that can exist under the surface without being preachy
    - Willingness to act on those principles at the cost of personal comfort/convenience
    - Using emotions/principles as a necessary impetus towards reaching my goals/ideals (or, in short, being the fire under my ass)
    - Quirkiness, a need to be a little bit different, and appreciation for people who live similarly
    - Persistent drive towards self-expression, be it artistic or not artistic

My bad Fi:
    - Taking things very personally (especially criticism)
    - Blowing up about things after stress has built up over time
    - Putting my moral preferences so far under the surface that people are confused when they do show up; e.g. "Wow, I'm sorry, I had no idea you felt so strongly about that", or "Wow, I had no idea you went to church, I assumed you weren't religious because you never talk about it"
    - "No one understands how DEEPLY I really FEEL things! They think I'm so shallow! But I'm not!!! "
    - Difficulty with expressing myself verbally, and tendency towards speaking very slowly or deliberately when trying to do so -- or simply giving a reason for an action that ends up being completely wrong because I didn't reflect on it enough before explaining myself

Quote Originally Posted by sulfit View Post
    Emotional outbreaks, sensitivity to negative emotional atmosphere, wanting someone to love me, this is for inferior Fe.
    I found this descriptions of inferior functions interesting Form of Inferior
    SO glad you quoted Naomi Quenk here. Her ESTJ descriptions ring more true to me than any others I've read. Feel free to add the inferior-Fi ESTJ things from that article to my list, because I agree with pretty much all of it
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!