First 61415161718 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That sounds like it should make sense, but even here on this forum I find some very intelligent people who don't seem to second-guess themselves at all (unless they are waking up in their bed crying late at night, out of our view, ha ha... shocker!)... and interestingly some of them are Ns.

I do think what you describe is a hallmark of healthy, mature individuals... not overemphasizing their weaknesses or having hangups about them, but at least perceptive of them.
    uh, yeah, but some of the N's on this forum surprise me with the lack of insight into why their opposite is valuable....Actually I've seen multiple intelligent IRL NT's do the same. That's having a blackness over a really important part of the picture.... You're missing a LOT of perception about yourself if you don't understand others. That's a pretty feelery perception I guess... I'd personally probably be homeless or something if I didn't value my opposite so much.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    A few questions:
    1. The consistency of the membership MBTI types across time sort of amazed me. Any ideas on why the percentage MBTI breakdown of the original members is so similar to the breakdown today?
    From my perspective as an SP... I find myself spending less and less time on this forum and other forums...and more time browsing for inspiration and ideas for my hobbies/career. So most of my time online is spent browsing photography websites or just browsing Flickr rather than on the forum talking about MBTI/enneagram
    2. Why do you think there is such a heavy concentration of INXXs?
    Most INXX's I know seem to seek out forums as their little haven. It seems that it's easier for them to communicate in written form than verbally. Again, that's just my experience.
    3. We have a lot of Ni and Ne doms but there is a statistically significant number of INFPs in there as well. Thoughts on why this is?

4. Do you have any suggestions on how to encourage participation of some of the less represented types?
    Forget about the descriptions... For some reason it seems that there are some N's that have issues with S's. And some I's that have issues with E's. I don't notice the T/F issues around here as much as I have on other forums. However... As an S, I have taken numerous breaks from forums because I can only roll my eyes at so many posts before it starts to get old and irritating.
    5. Do you have any other observations on this?
    If anything... I'd say that given the "stereotypical" interests of S's.... Sitting on a forum is just not their first choice of things to do. If you will notice, I post between a certain set of hours... In down time at work, I come here to pass time. When I leave work the only time I get on the computer/laptop is to do photo editing. That's it.

While I do have an interest in MBTI and enneagram and find it interesting... It's not my number one interest. It's probably about 3rd or 4th on the list. Oddly enough, my INTJ husband has zero desire to learn more about MBTI. He said he tested as an INTJ, identified with it, and that was all the interest he had in it!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    You're missing a LOT of perception about yourself if you don't understand others. That's a pretty feelery perception I guess...
    Not at all! I feel the same way. It's part of why I'm here.

You hit the nail on the head.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

What's interesting about many arguments for 'Sensorship', is that people hold intuitives to higher standards than sensors. A circle jerk.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I think it's better to avoid definitions for now, but I'll work with what I've detected. Let's take this thread, for example. Qlip mentioned Ti literalisms, but, evidently, that's Ne-fueled Ti. That's a form of humor that, ime, almost no sensor seems to understand, much less appreciate.
    Again, this is just another example of something that has been arbitrarily declared to be an "Ne-Ti thing" by people who claim to be Ne-Ti. Self-referential. And nothing about function definitions would imply that "Ti-literalisms" as they were discussed in that thread have anything to do with Ne-Ti.

And humor style is just a minor fraction of the big picture - we're talking about cognitive preferences, and those affect the focus of pretty much everything people write/speak and read/listen. That's part of why sensors are much more likely to misinterpret what I say. So I need to modify my go-to communication style in order to avoid misunderstandings. While that's not a stimulant thing to do, in a world full of sensors we eventually get used to it.
    I often have to re-explain myself to people for a variety of reasons...some having to do with them being slow on the uptake, others having to do with physical speech issues (e.g., they didn't hear properly, I was drowned out by something in the environment, whatever), and yet others (the majority, I'd wager) having to do with failures on both our parts to properly navigate our separate experiences and form a common ground upon which to hold a conversation. I'm just not arrogant enough to think, "well, it's just a N/S thing. They're Ns so they don't understand." And if I were, it would be even more ridiculous because just a year or so ago my same kind of experiences would have been "well, it's just a N/S thing. They're Ss so they don't understand."

But in a place dominated by intuitives we don't need to adapt much, as our words won't lose much meaning to people who have similar cognitive preferences. Which is quite... liberating.
    I'm kind of baffled by this idea that there's some sort of communicative harmony here as a result of your shared cognitive preferences. I haven't seen it, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I suppose im somewhat......irritated by the constant assertion that this is somehow part of MY world because being a sensing type automatically makes things easier for me.
    That's because it's irritating.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I think it's better to avoid definitions for now, but I'll work with what I've detected. Let's take this thread, for example. Qlip mentioned Ti literalisms, but, evidently, that's Ne-fueled Ti. That's a form of humor that, ime, almost no sensor seems to understand, much less appreciate.

And humor style is just a minor fraction of the big picture - we're talking about cognitive preferences, and those affect the focus of pretty much everything people write/speak and read/listen. That's part of why sensors are much more likely to misinterpret what I say. So I need to modify my go-to communication style in order to avoid misunderstandings. While that's not a stimulant thing to do, in a world full of sensors we eventually get used to it.

But in a place dominated by intuitives we don't need to adapt much, as our words won't lose much meaning to people who have similar cognitive preferences. Which is quite... liberating.
    Um....I guess it goes both ways, because you completely misinterpreted my (and, I'm guessing, Orangey's) posts in that thread.

I understand phrases like the ones described in "Ti literalisms" perfectly well and have said things like that all the time (although less often now that I've realized so many people are annoyed by it). It's kind of sarcastic, deadpan, almost trolling humour. Those particular examples seemed more on the mocking/lame side than the funny side, but I've seen some very funny examples elsewhere. I'm not sure why you've decided to claim them for Ne-Ti, perhaps because most of the people posting in that thread were Ne-Ti rather than Se-Ti? (unsurprising, since Ne-Ti outnumbers Se-Ti 10 to 1 on the forum).
    -end of thread-

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Ah well I give up, it isn't worth moaning about anymore. Let babies have their bottles.

You are....well not what you are, but you are something and that's better than nothing, although some might disagree.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Um....I guess it goes both ways, because you completely misinterpreted my (and, I'm guessing, Orangey's) posts in that thread.

I understand phrases like the ones described in "Ti literalisms" perfectly well and have said things like that all the time (although less often now that I've realized so many people are annoyed by it). It's kind of sarcastic, deadpan, almost trolling humour. Those particular examples seemed more on the mocking/lame side than the funny side, but I've seen some very funny examples elsewhere. I'm not sure why you've decided to claim them for Ne-Ti, perhaps because most of the people posting in that thread were Ne-Ti rather than Se-Ti? (unsurprising, since Ne-Ti outnumbers Se-Ti 10 to 1 on the forum).
    Exactly. Any moron could understand the "joke," but not everyone is going to understand why it's funny. The examples given in that thread seemed more like relatively thoughtless derision tactics than attempts at humor, IMO.

Apparently, though, if someone declares that it takes Ne-Ti to understand the humor, then that makes it so!

If I called myself INTP and made a thread declaring that "your mom..." jokes were an Ne-Ti form of humor, it would be accepted at face value as true and people would start to give examples of how they've been misunderstood by dumb Ss in their lives every time they try and say a "your mom..." joke. If we're lucky, we might even get some asshole to come in and declare that "no, it's not Ne-Ti! It's Ni-Te!"

Then you'd get some poor sap Ss or S apologists to come in and be all like, "hey guys, I understand those jokes, too. "

Fuck it.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Actually I think the ones at Personality Page are fantastic basic descriptions. I often use them to grab a quick reminder or clarification on a type. Of course, if you want something more in depth and insightful, you are better to look elsewhere.

However the sorts of things I'm talking about are more subtle; like @Orangey said, making NFs sound like rock stars and cultural warriors, and then have SJs characterised as accountants. And as you said, it's not that descriptions for Sensors are negative (or that Sensors are being picked on per se), it's just that they aren't as exciting and appealling (which as a result, may have the effect of making them appear slightly negative in comparison). Anyway, I don't think it's an overwhelming problem; it's just a niggling thing that goes on in the background that can influence things.
    I've pointed in the direction of the problem. Ss want descriptions that sound exciting and positive, not boring and negative. I know what would happen if Ss made up the N descriptions, don't you?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    I've pointed in the direction of the problem. Ss want descriptions that sound exciting and positive, not boring and negative. I know what would happen if Ss made up the N descriptions, don't you?
    I must admit if I could rewrite INTP descriptions id just put a picture of you without any underpants on...buying yesterdays milk.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.