User Tag List

First 210111213 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I was just realizing that teaching is another area where Ni shows up for me. For example, I have a pretty clear philosophy and broad goals of what I want to accomplish. However, it feels like I need time to think and be exposed to a variety of sources and then have time for it all to boil around before a specific plan emerges. When it does emerge though, a lot of different thoughts, sources, possibilities and interesting ways of doing things are synthesized together into something that is fairly fleshed out and full blown. It's like a camera lens coming into clear focus. I'm not really quite sure when it will, but have realized that there's not a lot of point in trying to nail something down until that percolating time has happened as the product will be much better in the end and will come much easier if I just wait. If the broad goals are in place to give direction, the specifics materialize in time.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I know this has a good amount to do with Fe use, but I find it very hard to ground myself in the assumption set it seems most people take for granted. In other words, the way other people interpret things frequently surprises me and I almost feel like an impostor attempting to copy them in a desperate attempt to come off as normal. I guess deep down I really believe other people would think I were insane if they knew what I were thinking.

The ever present drive of my Ni is to interpret the world through the lens of my (mostly) unvoiced abstract ideals. Since those ideals don't have much contact with present moment experience, I have to consciously push myself to remember the conventions that allow me to communicate. It's as if I'll float away like a balloon if I don't keep up my vigilance.

As a kid, I remember studying other kids to figure out how people think (although I wouldn't have described it that way at the time). Even very early on, I was fascinated by the way other people could be so confident in their interpretations of things, and I longed to have that feeling of groundedness. I now realize that's never coming .

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I think for me, it just means thinking and being in a way so differently from your peers (including family and friends) that you might think you're a freak. But then you realize that you think that way for a reason, and there is no need for you to try to modify it to the whims of others. It may even be a big help sometimes.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I know this has a good amount to do with Fe use, but I find it very hard to ground myself in the assumption set it seems most people take for granted. In other words, the way other people interpret things frequently surprises me and I almost feel like an impostor attempting to copy them in a desperate attempt to come off as normal. I guess deep down I really believe other people would think I were insane if they knew what I were thinking.

The ever present drive of my Ni is to interpret the world through the lens of my (mostly) unvoiced abstract ideals. Since those ideals don't have much contact with present moment experience, I have to consciously push myself to remember the conventions that allow me to communicate. It's as if I'll float away like a balloon if I don't keep up my vigilance.

As a kid, I remember studying other kids to figure out how people think (although I wouldn't have described it that way at the time). Even very early on, I was fascinated by the way other people could be so confident in their interpretations of things, and I longed to have that feeling of groundedness. I now realize that's never coming .
    I can definitely relate. I've used the imagery of a balloon in the past. I wrote this awhile ago as a metaphor for what it is like to interact with people:

Imagine a helium balloon you received when you weren’t feeling physically well, perhaps needed cheering up, or you received it as a reminder that you are loved. It was there to provide a lightening of the spirit and perhaps a little hope. As your hand held the string it served a purpose, there was a reason for the balloon to drift lightly alongside you.

There came a day it slipped through your fingers. It might have been that you no longer needed it, possibly you changed your mind and didn’t care for it, but then again it might have slipped accidentally from your hand. As it drifted upwards the reason disintegrated into the air.

It is ridiculous to imagine the balloon becoming angry or revengeful as a reaction to these events because that isn’t why balloons exist in the first place. Instead it begins to drift ever upwards with an increasing existential isolation fueled by inevitability. The balloon becomes lost with a sense of increasing internal pressure resulting from its upward momentum into the vast expanse.

As time passes there appears to be an advantage to these circumstances after all. A broader perspective comes into view as the balloon looks down now being able to see all the people. Some are holding balloons, some have just let go, and others are hoping to find another. There is purpose and inter-connection all around. There is but one lingering question at this juncture: how can one become unstuck from the edge of the stratosphere?
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post

I think that might be more Ni with Fe than Ni with Te, or perhaps something else you're sensing. I have a sense of being grounded, it's just not where everyone else is grounded. I see things that others don't see, and I'm sure of them. Others see things I don't see, and I'm other unsure about such things, trust others' judgment in such matters, or I'm completely ignorant that there is even something to see.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Ni users are have awesomely epic psychic powers of unprecedented magnitudes!

ReflecTcelfeR

I just read all of this and wonder why no one gives much credit to Se.... It's lonely. IT JUST WANTS TO BE LOVED!

Se I think is the least understood of the function lot! HA. Come at me bros.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by momental View Post
    I just read all of this and wonder why no one gives much credit to Se.... It's lonely. IT JUST WANTS TO BE LOVED!

Se I think is the least understood of the function lot! HA. Come at me bros.
    Its not misunderstood, its about knowing that the sky is not always blue, but sometimes grey, or black, or pink, or orange, or red, or purple, or white. And that water is not clear, sometimes its green or brown, unless you put food coloring then it can be red, blue, purlpe, yellow. We can even stick our finger in a water sample and tell you that the PH is 4.35109876 to the nearest millionths. SE IS AWESOME we know the world spins because we can sense it, we know the ground shakes because we can see it, we know the wind blows because we can feel it!!!!!!! When a butter fly flaps its wings we can tell you not only what country its in, but what its near because of our our sensory perception.
    Im out, its been fun

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    Its not misunderstood, its about knowing that the sky is not always blue, but sometimes grey, or black, or pink, or orange, or red, or purple, or white. And that water is not clear, sometimes its green or brown, unless you put food coloring then it can be red, blue, purlpe, yellow. We can even stick our finger in a water sample and tell you that the PH is 4.35109876 to the nearest millionths. SE IS AWESOME we know the world spins because we can sense it, we know the ground shakes because we can see it, we know the wind blows because we can feel it!!!!!!! When a butter fly flaps its wings we can tell you not only what country its in, but what its near because of our our sensory perception.
    People don't seem to grasp that complexity though. They see it as simple. This is what I mean.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by momental View Post
    People don't seem to grasp that complexity though. They see it as simple. This is what I mean.
    And I was just playing around, that is actually very simple and isnt much to it. I actually see ISxJ as more of a type who notices that stuff, Se more or less takes that for granted when you compare it to the depth that an ISxJ appreciates it. We dont internalize that stuff, its part of our world and we interact heavily, not just see everything. Look at ESxPs. They are extremely active types, always moving, always doing things, always active. That is more along the lines of Se, its about interacting with your environment. We are very perceptive people, but dont just sit and enjoy every scent and every texture, we interact with it. My wheel borrow has a solid rubber tire because I got tired of it going flat because I weighed it down so much. I moved and laid 3 palettes of sod in a couple hours because I wanted to. I chopped down a tree because I love physically doing things when a chain saw was sitting next to me. I put up my ex-father in laws christmas lights with snow/ice on the roof for fun. I enjoyed laying in the mud changing his oil filter on the side of the highway as a storm rolled in and it started raining. Fixing my ex-sister in laws roof on a 2 story house with a lightning storm rolling in. I love all that stuff. Carrying a box with a queen size memory foam matress up 3 flights of stairs by myself. And I dont bitch and moan and groan, I enjoy it. I love the challenge.
    Im out, its been fun