• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ti Literalisms

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
God, these all sound like really, really bad jokes. Are you people actually proud of this shit? I wouldn't want to admit to it even if I were guilty of doing it.

The only time literalizing a metaphor could be funny is if you turned it into a sexual joke. And even then it would have to be self-conscious or ironic, which can be grating if not done properly.

Please don't blame this on Ti.

2chuxb5.jpg

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
INTJs are much more prone to literalism. I find on the forum at least that satire, sarcasm, joking, and situational context have gone WAY above the heads of some INTJs in the past and it makes me go :huh:. I think Ne helps INTPs a lot. I don't know RL INTPs who are literal like this.

Wait were the INTPs joking?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTJs are much more prone to literalism. I find on the forum at least that satire, sarcasm, joking, and situational context have gone WAY above the heads of some INTJs in the past and it makes me go :huh:. I think Ne helps INTPs a lot. I don't know RL INTPs who are literal like this.

Wait were the INTPs joking?

If I give the literal response to something, I'm always joking; occasionally, though, if someone straight-faces a joke without any cues that they're kidding, I will fall for their joke and give a literal response to it.

God, these all sound like really, really bad jokes. Are you people actually proud of this shit? I wouldn't want to admit to it even if I were guilty of doing it.

The only time literalizing a metaphor could be funny is if you turned it into a sexual joke. And even then it would have to be self-conscious or ironic, which can be grating if not done properly.

Please don't blame this on Ti.

It's a function combo, if anything.

Still, you can't ignore silly INTP cliches that are very much true, such as the fixation on MPFC.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:yes:

Yay, go Mill Park!!!!!!!

response2_mpfc_logo_in_round_16ljpi0_16ljpil_16mmi5l-16mmi6h.jpg

Thank goodness someone knew exactly what I meant.

http://www.mpfc.org.au/

2012 NFL Junior Best and Fairest results.
Posted by mpjfc in Achievements | 0 comments
The Northern Football League hosted the 2012 Junior Presentation Night on Monday, August 13, in front of more than 300 people at Planet shakers in Lower Plenty.

Compared by Gold 104.3 announcer Craig Huggins, the awards night was held in the lead up to the junior Grand Finals, with all 24 premiership cups on display ahead of Sunday’s premiership deciders.

In just its second season in the competition, Bundoora Park was awarded the NFL Junior Club of the Year. Other major award winners were Lalor Stars youngster Jasmine Fitzgerald who took out the Lew Hall Players Award, and Eltham’s Kieran Malone who claimed the Northern Knights Under-15 Rookie of the Year.

Demi-Lee Hallett was awarded the Youth Girls best and fairest in her very first season of football, meanwhile Luke Harvey claimed the Most Promising Junior Umpire, and Martin Rodger the Junior Umpire of the Year. It was one of two awards won by Martin on the night, with the young star also claiming third-place in the under-16 Red best and fairest award.

Congratulations to Mitch Andrews (Under 13 Blue) and Christian Janev (Under 16′s Blue) who were both invited to the NFL Junior Presentation Night on Monday night. Mitch won the under 13′s Best and Fairest and Christian took home 2nd Best and Fairest.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been spending some time with a couple of INTPs, and I'm amused by what I can only assume are [amusing] Ti prompted conflicts with metaphor. I thought I'd start a thread hoping others would pitch in.

My friend, reading the lyrics to a Japanese song, laughed at "I will continue to run after my last breath" and responded, "So, she's a zombie?".

Same friend, same song: "I stand in the lonely rain", response: "How can rain be lonely?"

A young INTP, watching 'Dr Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog' remarks, "Don't they notice that they're suddenly singing? Musicals are weird."

Aren't these jokes? Maybe not the last one, because that is a legitimate criticism of musicals, but the other two are things I'd totally say for funsies.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Aren't these jokes? Maybe not the last one, because that is a legitimate criticism of musicals, but the other two are things I'd totally say for funsies.

Maybe, probably. There was no rimshot. It doesn't really matter, though. Even if, it's a particular type of joke that seems to more easily occur to a particular type of person.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe, probably. There was no rimshot. It doesn't really matter, though. Even if, it's a particular type of joke that seems to more easily occur to a particular type of person.

Good, now let's get back to musicals.

Don't they wonder where the fucking music comes from???

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been spending some time with a couple of INTPs, and I'm amused by what I can only assume are [amusing] Ti prompted conflicts with metaphor. I thought I'd start a thread hoping others would pitch in.

My friend, reading the lyrics to a Japanese song, laughed at "I will continue to run after my last breath" and responded, "So, she's a zombie?".

Same friend, same song: "I stand in the lonely rain", response: "How can rain be lonely?"

A young INTP, watching 'Dr Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog' remarks, "Don't they notice that they're suddenly singing? Musicals are weird."

Do you really take literally their "literal" take? Because that probably pleases them no end. Also it would make this thread ironic win. :smile:

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you really take literally their "literal" take? Because that probably pleases them no end. Also it would make this thread ironic win. :smile:

I was implying no 'fail'. I just felt there was something very Ti about it and wanted more data. If I had to say what the motivations in the zombie comment. I'd say my friend initially thought the line was ridiculous and incogruent while nearly simultaneously divining the intended meaning. And then in a humorous act of defiance of the illogical universe symbolized by that metaphor decided to make that comment. But, you know.. I'm just guessing.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To me it seems more like he's saying "this is a really stupid metaphor" than "durr, I don't get metaphors".

I mean come on, lonely rain? You can do better than that. I don't know the context of running after your last breath so I have no idea what that's supposed to be a metaphor for....determination or something?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To me it seems more like he's saying "this is a really stupid metaphor" than "durr, I don't get metaphors".

That.

Technically, it's not the rain that is lonely. Hence, it's open to ridicule.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You are observing something real and valid. But this is also about Si. I dont know about ISTP's but i sometimes think too much in equations that x can only equal x, else illogicallity. Words are different because they change meaning depending on context or sentence but, in math, 1 will always equal 1, will always mean a single quantity regardless of background or non-verbal data. Thus, transitioned into communication, the literal meaning is the only meaning. It's like the literal meaning is the closest thing to "universal meaning", also related to "universality" and "universal truths" being an intp thing. You could say TiSi's are the "literal guys."

And, no, its not just about joking around. I personally find literal interpretations as humor to be bland and unfunny.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I mean come on, lonely rain? You can do better than that. I don't know the context of running after your last breath so I have no idea what that's supposed to be a metaphor for....determination or something?

That.

Technically, it's not the rain that is lonely. Hence, it's open to ridicule.

I don't evaluate things at all on that level. If a phrase sounds enticingly odd.. like 'I will continue to run after my dying breath', which doesn't actually sound odd at all to me. First, it excites me, because it's new. Then I will continue to dig to find out why something was said the way it was said. Even if it comes down to something like translation error, it tells me something about the process of communication. Or it will say something about the patterns of speech in the original language.

In this case, I'm an old enough hand at Japanese subtitles that the statement is pretty normal for lyrics in a Japanese song. And it alludes to a common Japanese motif that someone's will is so strong that it will complete a final action after it dies. I wouldn't dream about discounting something odd as being stupid, because I feel that I'd be missing out. (This is not a lecture, just highlighting different priorities)

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
I remember once my sister wanted some colored pencils, so I gave her some regular old #2 pencils.

She goes "I wanted COLORED pencils"
I replied "They are colored. They are colored yellow."

Internally I was like 'YES! I totally NAILED that one!'
Externally she was quite exasperated.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was implying no 'fail'. I just felt there was something very Ti about it and wanted more data. If I had to say what the motivations in the zombie comment. I'd say my friend initially thought the line was ridiculous and incogruent while nearly simultaneously divining the intended meaning. And then in a humorous act of defiance of the illogical universe symbolized by that metaphor decided to make that comment. But, you know.. I'm just guessing.

Ok, I'll bite.

*Warning: Long, not funny and very literal answer given below.*

tl;dr version: your friends have taste. :)

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ Great post.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
A couple of these aren't necessarily being Ti literal as they are being Fe stupid.