User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Thread: Ti Literalisms

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Do you really take literally their "literal" take? Because that probably pleases them no end. Also it would make this thread ironic win.
    I was implying no 'fail'. I just felt there was something very Ti about it and wanted more data. If I had to say what the motivations in the zombie comment. I'd say my friend initially thought the line was ridiculous and incogruent while nearly simultaneously divining the intended meaning. And then in a humorous act of defiance of the illogical universe symbolized by that metaphor decided to make that comment. But, you know.. I'm just guessing.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

To me it seems more like he's saying "this is a really stupid metaphor" than "durr, I don't get metaphors".

I mean come on, lonely rain? You can do better than that. I don't know the context of running after your last breath so I have no idea what that's supposed to be a metaphor for....determination or something?
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    To me it seems more like he's saying "this is a really stupid metaphor" than "durr, I don't get metaphors".
    That.

Technically, it's not the rain that is lonely. Hence, it's open to ridicule.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

You are observing something real and valid. But this is also about Si. I dont know about ISTP's but i sometimes think too much in equations that x can only equal x, else illogicallity. Words are different because they change meaning depending on context or sentence but, in math, 1 will always equal 1, will always mean a single quantity regardless of background or non-verbal data. Thus, transitioned into communication, the literal meaning is the only meaning. It's like the literal meaning is the closest thing to "universal meaning", also related to "universality" and "universal truths" being an intp thing. You could say TiSi's are the "literal guys."

And, no, its not just about joking around. I personally find literal interpretations as humor to be bland and unfunny.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post

I mean come on, lonely rain? You can do better than that. I don't know the context of running after your last breath so I have no idea what that's supposed to be a metaphor for....determination or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That.

Technically, it's not the rain that is lonely. Hence, it's open to ridicule.
    I don't evaluate things at all on that level. If a phrase sounds enticingly odd.. like 'I will continue to run after my dying breath', which doesn't actually sound odd at all to me. First, it excites me, because it's new. Then I will continue to dig to find out why something was said the way it was said. Even if it comes down to something like translation error, it tells me something about the process of communication. Or it will say something about the patterns of speech in the original language.

In this case, I'm an old enough hand at Japanese subtitles that the statement is pretty normal for lyrics in a Japanese song. And it alludes to a common Japanese motif that someone's will is so strong that it will complete a final action after it dies. I wouldn't dream about discounting something odd as being stupid, because I feel that I'd be missing out. (This is not a lecture, just highlighting different priorities)

MBTI
    INFJ

I remember once my sister wanted some colored pencils, so I gave her some regular old #2 pencils.

She goes "I wanted COLORED pencils"
    I replied "They are colored. They are colored yellow."

Internally I was like 'YES! I totally NAILED that one!'
    Externally she was quite exasperated.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I was implying no 'fail'. I just felt there was something very Ti about it and wanted more data. If I had to say what the motivations in the zombie comment. I'd say my friend initially thought the line was ridiculous and incogruent while nearly simultaneously divining the intended meaning. And then in a humorous act of defiance of the illogical universe symbolized by that metaphor decided to make that comment. But, you know.. I'm just guessing.
    Ok, I'll bite.

*Warning: Long, not funny and very literal answer given below.*

tl;dr version: your friends have taste.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

^ Great post.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

A couple of these aren't necessarily being Ti literal as they are being Fe stupid.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

So...'Ti doms' suck at poetry...