User Tag List

12311 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 342

  1. #1
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default Why do people have a problem with people mistyping themselves?

    (Edit: )Update: explosion over, conflict resolved, problem solved.


    Warning: ahead.


    Why exactly do people have such a huge problem with people thinking they are a certain type when they might actually be another type?

    This is especially prevalent in the NT temperament. Do NT's think they are inherently more logical and rational than all the other temperaments, and this means they make up an exclusive little club that only the people who pass some NT test can join? Do people not think that there are plenty of NT's who value being rational but utterly fail at it half the time? Do they think that they are smarter than everyone else and that makes them better? If I think I'm smarter and better than everyone, can I join the club?

    Why does it really matter? Seriously. It's just a category. It's a way to understand people. Getting hostile with people defeats this purpose. Unless you are just using it to feel good about yourself and as a form of mental masturbation.

    A mistype means that this person either has an incomplete or flawed understanding of typology and cognitive functions. It usually doesn't mean this person is a "poser." And changing their minds requires educating them on typology and cognitive functions, not telling them over and over that they're a different type with no real explanation.

    I mean, I started on here trying to figure out why I was atypical of my type, whether it was INFP, INTP, or something else. I was all obsessed with it because I found it fun and interesting and I like categorization. And people told me it didn't matter that much. I was kind of emotionally invested in it because I have ideas that I want to be taken seriously, and I was afraid people wouldn't if I had mistyped myself. I thought this was silly, but I was still afraid of it. Now I've gotten over it and I just think it's silly. I was told to have confidence and not worry about what people think, so I started posting as an INTP. Then people began seriously doubting my type, so I modified it. Then some people seemed really attached to me being INFP, so I took it off. I thought 'Great, now I can't piss anyone off. I'm unknowable.' Wrong. I start a thread about really feel-y stuff, (because I wanted to try something new, ironically)- and now people are all like "THIS THREAD IS PURE FI! YOU'RE INFP, AND EVERYTHING YOU SAY IS PURE BS BECAUSE YOU'VE MISTYPED YOURSELF!!" Which is what I was afraid of in the beginning, irrationally I thought, and now it's happening except that I don't care anymore.

    I'm like, REALLY?? Gah.

    So why is this important? Can't we just accept that people generally know themselves better than anyone online? Can we be respectful and engage in serious dialogue about typology and how people fit or don't fit rather than saying "You're completely illogical, therefore you are not NT" or "Values and emotions --> NF" ? Does it really matter? And if you think it does, can you explain it to me? Because I don't think a person's knowledge of her or himself is relevant to any argument they may have. It's called an ad hominem fallacy.
    Last edited by greenfairy; 08-22-2012 at 10:48 PM.

  2. #2

    Default

    People on typology forums use a lot of heuristics to form their decision on your type. You can't use the word fairy in your name and be NT, the Cherokee thread is NF mystical. People tend to call out NT as NF, but never the other way. The answer to why is, because it is a typology forum and their isn't much else to do. Start a thread on Godel, Escher, Bach.

    I have always wondered why no one ever called out my type.

  3. #3
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    From Wikipedia:
    "In psychology, heuristics are simple, efficient rules, hard-coded by evolutionary processes or learned, which have been proposed to explain how people make decisions, come to judgments, and solve problems, typically when facing complex problems or incomplete information. These rules work well under most circumstances, but in certain cases lead to systematic errors or cognitive biases."

    So basically people are pigeonholing people based on stereotypes, not using serious typology.

    Yeah I'll be sure to start some of those kinds of threads.

  4. #4
    Senior Member UniqueMixture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp
    Posts
    3,036

    Default

    @greenfairy you might burst their bubble with reality and we couldn't have that. People often try to define others because their stereotype is very important to them. It says something about them or reality
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

  5. #5
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default


  6. #6
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Warning: ahead.


    Why exactly do people have such a huge problem with people thinking they are a certain type when they might actually be another type?

    This is especially prevalent in the NT temperament. Do NT's think they are inherently more logical and rational than all the other temperaments, and this means they make up an exclusive little club that only the people who pass some NT test can join? Do people not think that there are plenty of NT's who value being rational but utterly fail at it half the time? Do they think that they are smarter than everyone else and that makes them better? If I think I'm smarter and better than everyone, can I join the club?
    Well, aside from your type (which I really don't care much about), I'll say that I take it pretty seriously when someone tries to say that 2 + 2 = 5, or makes scientific or historical claims based on bogus information, or just uses really shoddy logic to justify a POV. it can sometimes feel like a personal affront when someone finds it more important to believe whatever it is they prefer to believe rather than believe what the evidence says is true.

    This is actually a good thing -- it is a firm commitment to the truth and wanting to see it be out there and accessible, regardless of what people might want to believe.

    I find it discouraging that you would personalize NT behavior in that regard and try to make it about 'being part of a social club' or something else silly like that, as I would find it reprehensible to make something about social clubs or prestige or status than simply about what is demonstrably or most probably true.

    As far as your type goes, aside from what seems most obvious, should it really matter to you whether you are an F or a T? You should be proud of either -- they are both good things to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    People on typology forums use a lot of heuristics to form their decision on your type. You can't use the word fairy in your name and be NT, the Cherokee thread is NF mystical. People tend to call out NT as NF, but never the other way. The answer to why is, because it is a typology forum and their isn't much else to do. Start a thread on Godel, Escher, Bach.
    Well, to give some kudos to F types, I think there's more F types that have learned some decent T skills (maybe partly because it's required to get a job in Western culture), whereas less T's end up developing decent F skills and usually manage to find a job where they can just do T-related stuff.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  7. #7
    Was E.laur Laurie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    6,075

    Default

    @greenfairy I've noticed it too.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    From Wikipedia:
    "In psychology, heuristics are simple, efficient rules, hard-coded by evolutionary processes or learned, which have been proposed to explain how people make decisions, come to judgments, and solve problems, typically when facing complex problems or incomplete information. These rules work well under most circumstances, but in certain cases lead to systematic errors or cognitive biases."

    So basically people are pigeonholing people based on stereotypes, not using serious typology.

    Yeah I'll be sure to start some of those kinds of threads.
    What is serious typology? Seems like an oxymoron. Typing others is based off heuristics by necessity. That is why authors and that always say only you can truly type yourself.

  9. #9
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    From Wikipedia:
    "In psychology, heuristics are simple, efficient rules, hard-coded by evolutionary processes or learned, which have been proposed to explain how people make decisions, come to judgments, and solve problems, typically when facing complex problems or incomplete information. These rules work well under most circumstances, but in certain cases lead to systematic errors or cognitive biases."

    So basically people are pigeonholing people based on stereotypes, not using serious typology.

    Yeah I'll be sure to start some of those kinds of threads.
    A lot of people think they're much better at typing than they really are. I would think you are an NF just based on your name and avatar but I'm wrong in typing people all the time.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  10. #10
    philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, aside from your type (which I really don't care much about), I'll say that I take it pretty seriously when someone tries to say that 2 + 2 = 5, or makes scientific or historical claims based on bogus information, or just uses really shoddy logic to justify a POV. it can sometimes feel like a personal affront when someone finds it more important to believe whatever it is they prefer to believe rather than believe what the evidence says is true.

    This is actually a good thing -- it is a firm commitment to the truth and wanting to see it be out there and accessible, regardless of what people might want to believe.
    Well yes, I believe this too. So I guess I'm someone who values logic and rationality but fails at it some of the time. So I'm either a faulty T or an F who likes rationality more than feeling. Ok? I'm a fool. But I have a few good ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I find it discouraging that you would personalize NT behavior in that regard and try to make it about 'being part of a social club' or something else silly like that, as I would find it reprehensible to make something about social clubs or prestige or status than simply about what is demonstrably or most probably true.
    I don't think this is conscious behavior. I think people are emotionally attached to being rational and it makes them feel good about themselves. And if they perceive someone as irrational they don't want to think that person is their type. Or they are just so attached to being logical that they are quick to dismiss anyone who doesn't fit their ideas of what that means. Anyway, Fi or not, this is the vibe I get from some people. Maybe I'm totally wrong. I hope so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    As far as your type goes, aside from what seems most obvious, should it really matter to you whether you are an F or a T? You should be proud of either -- they are both good things to be.
    It's not that important. I like INTP more than INFP at the moment. Which does not affect what the reality of my type is of course, but if I seem equally like each of them in my mind, I could just pick one and it wouldn't make a difference. And one reason I don't want to be INFP is that there are a lot of characteristics of the type that really annoy me, and I don't want to have them. It's like the reverse of the NT club. It's the anti-Fi club. Any traces of those characteristics which may have been present in myself, I have done a good job of wiping out. There's nothing that really annoys me about INTP's. There are a lot of ways I in fact don't fit INFP anyway, which is what prompted me to look more into typology. I thought INTP was a good fit, so I stuck with it. Most of my research confirmed my choice. I like to think my reasoning is reliable, so it's kind of important to me to make the correct choice. But whatever. As much as I hate it I'm not easily categorizable, and that's fine. the bottom line is that if I were to be INFP I would kind of suck at it. Whereas I'm pretty good at being INTP, minus people's stereotyping. I'd rather be something I'm good at. See?

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] why do people with introverted intuition....?
    By chado in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-03-2016, 01:49 PM
  2. Why do people need identification with types?
    By hacbad macbar in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-15-2014, 09:55 AM
  3. why do I keep becoming friends with manipulative people?
    By prplchknz in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 04-19-2011, 09:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO